Wish me luck on the cam install... - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Wish me luck on the cam install...

Starting my cam install today, would not be surprised if it took me a few days lol using two different write ups to hold my hand through this whole process. Will post videos when its done! Damn i hope i dont fuck anything up lol these are the guides im using btw
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-write-up.html
FRPP Hot Rod Cams

any quick tips before i begin? btw, whats the best way to remove a spark plug?

CDC Chin Spoiler - Roush Upper/Lower Grill - Shaker Hood - MGW Shifter - MAC Prochambers/Headers - Roush O/R Extreme Catback - Eibach Lowering Springs - FRPP Hot Rod Cams - Halos/6K HID'S - BBK CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:21 PM
00blkvert

I used the 2nd write up you have posted. Just follow that step by step and you'll be good. Just watch your followers to make sure they stay in place. O and I didn't have to pull any of them either.

For plugs I think just use the socket that fits to get them unthreaded then I use either needle nose pliers or a.regular spark plug socket to pull them out but I think I left my plugs in.
post #3 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:32 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Pulling the plugs just makes it easier to turn the engine over by hand. You can leave them in if you want.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Any chance to make the process easier I'll take lol thank god for pictures, I have no clue what any of the shit their saying is lol guess I'll be learning a lot on this install

CDC Chin Spoiler - Roush Upper/Lower Grill - Shaker Hood - MGW Shifter - MAC Prochambers/Headers - Roush O/R Extreme Catback - Eibach Lowering Springs - FRPP Hot Rod Cams - Halos/6K HID'S - BBK CAI
post #5 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:45 PM
Regular

What cams did you buy?

Dog shit slow...
post #6 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:46 PM
00blkvert

If you have an extra set of hands/eyes that will also help.
post #7 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:52 PM
Insomniac

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin' 08 View Post
I used the 2nd write up you have posted. Just follow that step by step and you'll be good. Just watch your followers to make sure they stay in place. O and I didn't have to pull any of them either.

For plugs I think just use the socket that fits to get them unthreaded then I use either needle nose pliers or a.regular spark plug socket to pull them out but I think I left my plugs in.
I unusually use the correct socket to loosen them, then use a coil pack to pull them out. Good luck on the install bud, you're a little braver than me

post #8 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:52 PM

You'll be alright Bullethead. You should be able to do a cam swap in an afternoon. It's not that hard, don't let it freak you out.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #9 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger226 View Post
What cams did you buy?
Hot rods

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin' 08 View Post
If you have an extra set of hands/eyes that will also help.
My dads gunna be here, but he's about as mechanically challenged as I am lol

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
You'll be alright Bullethead. You should be able to do a cam swap in an afternoon. It's not that hard, don't let it freak you out.
Yeah I'm just gunna take it nice and slow lol multiple write ups with lots of pictures should serve me well.

post #10 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:18 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Good luck man! I will be in your shoes pretty soon.

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #11 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:55 PM
Regular

Its not bad, did a cam swap in my 07 over the course of a day and a half. FFRP intake manifold, Beehive valve springs, phaser limiters. But we just pulled the heads so it was a bit easier.
Advice - make sure you have a tune ready or you're dead in the water, change your plugs when you do the swap, order the lisle tool in case you break off a plug.
post #12 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:09 PM
I <3 Car Crashes

Can't wait to do mine, the install looks easy honestly! I plan on doin the method where you don't use a spring compressor, just loosen everything evenly to pull out the stock then tighten everything evenly to install the new ones. I'll do my plugs then too I guess I had forgot about that

07 Honda CBR600RR--Akrapovic exhaust--power commander V--Flush & integrated signals--1000rr mirrors--Puig double bubble screen--shogun sliders, -1 +2 gearing coming soon

Selling and parting out my Mustang for another Jeep WJ!
post #13 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:59 PM
MM Fanatic

these are both good videos for the visual learner like myself!

if you havent already ( not sure if you have to or not but i did as it was obvious id have more room.) go ahead and remove your battery and battery tray, then the coil packs. some short bungie cords or zip ties are a good help to hold the wireing harness' out of your way while working near the cams.

2014 A6 GT Sterling Gray. SR performance lowering springs, J&M adj. panhard and Stainless power longtubes - o/r x awaiting tuner and install.
post #14 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW2SatansBaby View Post
make sure you have a tune ready or you're dead in the water, change your plugs when you do the swap, order the lisle tool in case you break off a plug.
This is why I chose to do it at my house rather my friends who has some mechanical experience, just in case something happened or I didn't get my tune in then it's no biggie cuz it's at my place. But luckily they sent my tune to me today

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschoening09 View Post
3V Camshaft Swap - YouTube

More Mustang Power with a Cam Upgrade - YouTube

these are both good videos for the visual learner like myself!

if you havent already ( not sure if you have to or not but i did as it was obvious id have more room.) go ahead and remove your battery and battery tray, then the coil packs. some short bungie cords or zip ties are a good help to hold the wireing harness' out of your way while working near the cams.
I was actually gunna look up some videos when I got home, so your awesome lol thanks man

post #15 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

I got a tip, get off your phone and get it started and don't stop till its done
post #16 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:36 PM
dirt/street Motorsports

Can't wait too see the results. Lol lol

90 5.0 lx 5 speed. Project Classic 5.0 - BBK CAI, BBK longtubes , GT40 heads, 24 lb injectors , Edelbrock intake.
post #17 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:59 PM
Official Thread Killer

Garage
Good luck with it, I'll hopefully be doing mine after the tax return I can't wait!!

'06 v6 - sold
'07 GT/CS - 10/10/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
Well my ass ain't going to fill it self motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
I thought it was big enough Rukus.
post #18 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:18 PM
MM Fanatic

I only changed a battery and put a cai on before my cam swap.. and mine turned out all right..

Full Exhaust / Cams / 4.10 Gears / CAI / Delete Plugs / Some Suspension
post #19 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:20 PM

Oh and it's probably too late and probably won't make a difference but I always cleaned the camshaft real good and soaked it in oil overnight. Don't know if anyone does this anymore but it was just the way I was taught

post #20 of 1155 Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:50 PM
Hi I'm Sean

I wouldn't remove the plugs unless you have a lisle spark plug tool handy as you have the old style head with the two piece spark plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page