Bottomed out - cannot locate damage - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old December 6th, 2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Bottomed out - cannot locate damage

I was parked and pulled forward and ran over one of those concrete blocks they put in parking lots. The car bottomed out hard and immediately the engine got loud and sounded shitty and lost power.

When I got home, I got under the car best I could and checked the exhaust. The mid pipe to header flange nuts were loose on the passenger side, and the cat got crunched a bit, but I see no visible cracks, holes, or separation around the seams. The other cat is crunched too, pretty sure the previous owner bottomed out and flattened the cats before.

I tightened the flange bolts, and checked the top 4 header bolts (they were tight), but that did not solve the problem. The engine is still very loud and has no power. Smoke and oil or gas is coming from the passenger tail pipe. There is a hard knocking sometimes coming off the gas; getting on the gas is a harsh rattling and the engine even briefly bogged out for a second. It sounds like backfiring or explosions under the floor board, but I haven't ruled out suspension damage. I have seen no other damage but I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to car repair.

My best guess is the cat is destroyed, but the amount of smoke and gas/oil coming out with the hard clattering sounds makes me worry it's bad. It looks like my oil level may have dropped a bit, but I can't say for sure. Surely bottoming out wouldn't fuck up a piston ring or anything like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old December 6th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I would say you broke a (or both) cats apart.

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #3 of 34 Old December 6th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Turbo > blower

I would take off the exhaust and inspect the cats. Then look for anywhere else you can see damage and inspect those parts also.

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old December 6th, 2013, 08:07 PM
I <3 Car Crashes

I concur , look for any leaks as well

07 Honda CBR600RR--Akrapovic exhaust--power commander V--Flush & integrated signals--1000rr mirrors--Puig double bubble screen--shogun sliders, -1 +2 gearing coming soon

Selling and parting out my Mustang for another Jeep WJ!
post #5 of 34 Old December 6th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Turbo > blower

...Nytrix negged me?

Another thing. You may have cracked a pipe by bottoming out, that would make it louder and if it's in the right spot it could mess with the o2 sensors making your engine run rich/lean, which could make your engine sluggish.

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
post #6 of 34 Old December 7th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Mechanical Engineer

My car had pypes hi flow cats when i bought the car. I removed them and when i did, i found that one was broken. If you have a dent in the cat, you probably need new cats or need to delete them. that fiberglass is fairly fragile.

People used to hit cats with hammers to break them up and increase flow without needing new piping or to keep a stock appearance for inspections.

Increased flow and messed up cats will throw off your tune as your O2 sensors will be getting weird readings and your car will be trying to correct for it. Anything is possible but, i would bet that you just need some new cats.

2006 Mustang GT
Pacesetter Ceramic L/T's
Pacesetter H-pipe
FR hot rod cams
FR Intake manifold
FR500 exaust
Hurst Competition Plus Short throw.
JLT CAI

2002 F-150

Sold:
2001 Mustang GT (miss this one)
post #7 of 34 Old December 7th, 2013, 12:28 AM
'Murica

Garage
After I got my splitter I barely pull up to concrete stops. Backing in FTW.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
post #8 of 34 Old December 7th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Turbo > blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmpwr07 View Post
This. My wife hates it but I usually park in the very back of the parking lot where there's no damn cars, and 90% of the time I back into my parking spot. If I don't back in, I leave a very healthy gap between my bumper and the stopper/curb.

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
post #9 of 34 Old December 7th, 2013, 02:11 AM
FBGM

Same here that's what I do.

Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica wheels, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
post #10 of 34 Old December 7th, 2013, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMcTowelie View Post
...Nytrix negged me?
sorry, must have selected the wrong option and didn't notice I guess. I'll get you back next time it lets me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmpwr07 View Post
I back in because a lot of fender benders happen in parking lots with people backing out. My girl was coming to pick me up at work and she parked in the one damn parking space with a concrete block in the whole lot. So naturally I don't notice it and just put it in first and pull straight forward over the concrete block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanielwilliam View Post
Increased flow and messed up cats will throw off your tune as your O2 sensors will be getting weird readings and your car will be trying to correct for it. Anything is possible but, i would bet that you just need some new cats.
The more I think about it, the passenger cat is probably damaged. I had an 87 performance tune loaded and I reverted to stock after the accident... and it seems to be running slightly worse now. Unfortunately I have no choice but to drive it a little bit for a couple days.

I want to install long tubes and offroad x but since I'm forced to do this now and don't have enough money for LT, I am going to have to waste money on just a full length offroad x. Either that or take it to a muffler shop. This is all of course assuming the passenger cat is the issue and nothing else is wrong.
post #11 of 34 Old December 7th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Regular

Also make sure you haven't bumped the oil pan. If you did you could have closed up the little clearance there is between the bottom of the pan and the pickup tube which can starve the engine for oil.

300 stroker, 11:1, 7L2E iron block, 3.73's, MT ET Street Pro's. UPR solid LCA's, JPC race UCA. Kooks 1 3/4" LT's with 3" O/R H. 9.988 @ 136.55mph, E-Force with 3" pulley running E85. Tuned by Manuel from TUDYNO.
post #12 of 34 Old December 7th, 2013, 11:59 AM
MM Fanatic

Yeah if you think you lost some oil I would also check the oil pan, also your cats are probably fucked, get an offer!/r mid pipe and don't worry about the again

Full Exhaust / Cams / 4.10 Gears / CAI / Delete Plugs / Some Suspension
post #13 of 34 Old December 7th, 2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Regular

I looked some more and the front wheels went over the concrete block and then came down on the frame behind the front wheels which is right where the cats hang down. Looks like I obviously need a new mid pipe.

The oil pan looked fine and I bottomed out further back anyway. I didn't really see anything else unusual except this hole in the back of the transmission which I don't really know what that's all about.

post #14 of 34 Old December 7th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

That's the clutch inspection hole, it's supposed to be there

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #15 of 34 Old December 7th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I <3 Car Crashes

Damn you fucked up those cats tho! lol good thing that's all it is!

07 Honda CBR600RR--Akrapovic exhaust--power commander V--Flush & integrated signals--1000rr mirrors--Puig double bubble screen--shogun sliders, -1 +2 gearing coming soon

post #16 of 34 Old December 8th, 2013, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Regular

They were both crushed by the previous owner, I bottomed out on the right one.

I had to drive it yesterday and got a CEL P0430- Catalyst System Efficiency below Limit - Bank No 2.

pretty much as expected... but I checked the oil level and it has definitely dropped and turned black. Could the damaged cat cause this somehow with fucked up back pressure or do I have something else going on? I realize I should probably take it somewhere to get looked at.
post #17 of 34 Old December 8th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Insomniac

Garage
You have a dangerous situation here, if the cat has compressed the engine my be fighting to push the exhaust through the destroyed cat. This can lead to high pressure in that side of motor and cause damage. I suggest stop driving the car immediately until you can either replace the mid pipe or have the cat replaced

post #18 of 34 Old December 8th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I <3 Car Crashes

I agree^^
A mid pipe is very easy to install, just take the bus, or carpool, or whatever you need to do while you wait for it to get here. It's a small price to pay to make sure your mustang is ok. I'd do an oil change with that midpipe swap as well, and keep an eye on everything

post #19 of 34 Old December 8th, 2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Regular

I am flat broke for another week and then I have to order a part and wait on shipping... with no public transportation or any other means of getting around besides a skate board. The only thing I can think to do is take the mid pipe off and see if I can either fix/unplug the passenger cat... or basically chisel the shit out of both cats or something to make them both deletes or whatever you would call it.

Maybe I can come up with a couple bucks if I think about it or pawn something. Now I'm wondering if there is back pressure... that plus the explosions in the mid pipe might have worn out some piston rings or caused some engine damage; that would really suck.
post #20 of 34 Old December 8th, 2013, 01:45 PM
I <3 Car Crashes

I'd try the chiseling cats out option. You'll get a CEL for it but it won't hurt anything. I'd be worried about driving around with black oil in there too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page