Squeaking/rattling in the rear - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Weekend Warrior

Squeaking/rattling in the rear

I hear this squeaking/rattling sound that is coming from the rear of the car when I am driving on the highway with the windows closed. Even at low speeds if there are lots of bumps you can hear it. At high speeds you can hear it as well and it is much more faster in the squeak intervals because the car is shaking more and more.
basically, pot holes, bumps and the car shaking up and down will cause the squeak to occur. It gets faster the more the car shakes.

What do you guys recommend I look at first? It's been getting worse actually, in the beginning you can only hear it a little but now it's much more prnounced.
I installed new springs, shocks and a BMR panhard bar maybe 2 months ago and I'm wondering if something is coming loose.

Any good troubleshooting tips on where to start the diagnosis? Don't need the rear axle falling out of my car on the highway lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:27 PM
Eat Springs, Shit Valves

Check the torque of all your bolts and check your sway bar bushings. For the bushings you can spray PB Blaster or WD-40 on them then jounce the car up and down. If the squeak goes away, then the bushings need to be replaced.
post #3 of 33 Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:49 PM
FBGM

I had on either my panhard or LCA that was squeaking a little bit too much metal. I just use a grinder and ever so slightly trimmed it. And I mean very slightly, I think I took about as much as there was paint on it and it stopped.

Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica wheels, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Weekend Warrior

I got out of the car and opened up the trunk and started to bounce the car up and down and I can't hear anything. I'm going to have to jack up the car retorque everything and check the bushings as suggested. Will report back
post #5 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 12:35 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Are you sure it is coming from the suspension? Is it loud enough for you to determine if may or may not be from inside the car or trunk. Do you still carry your jack and spare? Could be the tire rattled loose and shifted and it's rubbing on the trunk floor.

Probably not, but the weirdest stuff makes funny noises. Took me months to figure out a whine/buzzing sound was coming from the seat belt cover thingy hanging on the B pillar. Then there was the rattle of one of my jamb nuts that had come loose on my adj UCA. You just gotta start searching and eliminating. Start with the obvious, your last installed parts, but don't overlook the stupid stuff.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #6 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 12:37 AM
Turbo > blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
Are you sure it is coming from the suspension? Is it loud enough for you to determine if may or may not be from inside the car or trunk. Do you still carry your jack and spare? Could be the tire rattled loose and shifted and it's rubbing on the trunk floor.

Probably not, but the weirdest stuff makes funny noises. Took me months to figure out a whine/buzzing sound was coming from the seat belt cover thingy hanging on the B pillar. Then there was the rattle of one of my jamb nuts that had come loose on my adj UCA. You just gotta start searching and eliminating. Start with the obvious, your last installed parts, but don't overlook the stupid stuff.
This. for like 3 months I was getting this weird clunking from my rear end and I couldn't figure out what it was. Turned out to be my spare and jack shifting around in the trunk.

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
post #7 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 12:53 AM
Make Me Squirt

Make sure your PHB is greased. I also had a squeak for a while from the locking nut on my LCAs rubbing on my sway bar. The little metal arm that comes off the nut was just rubbing so I just turned it and retorqued it.

TORCH RED APPRECIATION CLUB

C&L Racer | Eibach Pro-Kit | BMR LCAs + Relo | BMR PHB | MGW |
GT500 Strut Mounts | Bassanni Axlebacks | OR-H |Tokico D-Spec |
post #8 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Weekend Warrior

Hmm actually I dont think I greased the PHB. I thought it was needed only to get it to fit because it was pretty tight but mine slipped in when I hit it with a mallet. So i skipped that step. I'll have to check that then.
post #9 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 04:50 AM
Make Me Squirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsevo View Post
Hmm actually I dont think I greased the PHB. I thought it was needed only to get it to fit because it was pretty tight but mine slipped in when I hit it with a mallet. So i skipped that step. I'll have to check that then.

That would definitely be it then. Any suspension parts with poly bushings need to be greased, hence the zerks fittings on either side. I would take out each side and rub a little grease on the sides to "prime" the bushings.

post #10 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am ryan View Post
That would definitely be it then. Any suspension parts with poly bushings need to be greased, hence the zerks fittings on either side. I would take out each side and rub a little grease on the sides to "prime" the bushings.
What he said.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
311rwhp 328rwtq with stage 1 bolt-ons
post #11 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Weekend Warrior

Is the only way to lube it entirely is to use a grease gun on the zerk fitting? or should i remove the bar's end one at a time and just stuff grease inside and outside the bushing?
Also is there some homemade DIY replacement for a grease gun?
post #12 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 02:16 PM
FBGM

grease guns are stupid cheap.......
NAPA AUTO PARTS

This is what I used on mine, nothing crazy, but make sure you buy the hose extention makes life soooo much easier.

Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica wheels, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
post #13 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Regular

Also the PHB should be lubed then torqued with the car on the ground or suspension otherwise loaded. Mine had a squeak like yours and I re-torqued it like I described and it went away.
post #14 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Make Me Squirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1622 View Post
grease guns are stupid cheap.......

NAPA AUTO PARTS

This is what I used on mine, nothing crazy, but make sure you buy the hose extention makes life soooo much easier.

Truth. I think mine was $8 at Autozone, but a few months later I had to buy a flex hose. You'll want a grease gun in your arsenal for the future regardless. Get marine grease with it.

post #15 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 03:13 PM
FBGM

What I hate is when you think you have a tool and can't find it. Then after you buy another one, the one you lost magically appears. Pretty sure my dad found another grease gun after I did mine. And when you do it, you will be very surprised how many pumps it takes. The easy way to tell it's full is you see just a little bit coming out from the bushing.

post #16 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Mechanical Engineer

Could also be your exhaust hangers or the muffler hitting the bumper.

2006 Mustang GT
Pacesetter Ceramic L/T's
Pacesetter H-pipe
FR hot rod cams
FR Intake manifold
FR500 exaust
Hurst Competition Plus Short throw.
JLT CAI

2002 F-150

Sold:
2001 Mustang GT (miss this one)
post #17 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanielwilliam View Post
Could also be your exhaust hangers or the muffler hitting the bumper.
I actually checked those while I was checking for a leak when I installed my Xpipe. Although my xpipe scrapes on speed bumps now if I dont take it very slowly at an angle. Kills me inside every time.

I guess I'll go pick up a grease gun.

And yeah it sucks when you can't find your tools. Sockets are the worst. I know I must have 3 of each socket esp the famous 10mm but everytime I look for it, it's no where to be found.
The best thing I have ever done for tools is buying a tool cabinet and organizing everything. A 11 drawer metal rolling cabinet was on sale during new years at Harbor Freight for $120, got it for a steal. Now it's so much easier to find stuff. I also need to get an actually nice socket system or a tool box with mini compartments to separate all the sockets by SAE/Metric and size so I can find it. Most of the time wasting from when I work on cars is crawling out from under the car and spending 10 mins looking for a tool. So inefficient.
post #18 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Insomniac

Garage
Idk what kinda grease you prefer but I like marine grease, hold up really well to water. White lithium grease which most companies recommend ends up washing out after driving through a little rain. What also might help it to pull everything out, take a wire wheel and clean up the surface the bushing makes contact with, then rub some marine grease on the surface before reinstalling, ive never had a squeaky suspension part as ive done that since the first install

post #19 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 05:34 PM
FBGM

See my problem was my dad has his business in our basement then moved. And took a bunch of tools with him and for over 10 years if he needed a tool he had it at work. Now that he sold his company no more specialty tools.

post #20 of 33 Old February 4th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Regular

Did you check the muffler hangers when they were warm? I had a squeak and checked everything even the muffler hangers. Then I was looking at something else when the car was hot and noticed the hanger rubbing against the back bumper. The exhaust was expanding about 3/4" when hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page