Upgradeing speakers with shaker 500 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
gtscrewd

Upgradeing speakers with shaker 500

So after installing a new alpine head unit wanted to see if it would be worth it to replace the speakers on the rear deck. Or should I leave them been out of the speaker loop for a long time. What do you guys think ,thanks

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old February 22nd, 2014, 09:43 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I would upgrade all the front stuff before upgrading the rear deck, and then when doing the rear speakers I still wouldn't go crazy on them. I've always been into spl comps, but with my old age getting more into normal music with decent, not great since my hearing is going anyway, sq.

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #3 of 53 Old February 22nd, 2014, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
gtscrewd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr confused View Post
I would upgrade all the front stuff before upgrading the rear deck, and then when doing the rear speakers I still wouldn't go crazy on them. I've always been into spl comps, but with my old age getting more into normal music with decent, not great since my hearing is going anyway, sq.
What's a good upgrade for the fronts? Any suggestions

July 2013 rotm winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old February 22nd, 2014, 10:35 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I put the ones below all the way around. They are a good upgrade over stock that's for sure. Sound quality got a good boost from the fronts and head unit going aftermarket. I didn't go real deep into expensive speakers obviously because I am just not a huge audio buff. I will say fronts made a lot more of an improvement over rears at least from what I can hear by staggering the install. The one's I linked are on crutchfield too but they have them listed $30 more per pair.

JVC CS-V6837 6" x 8" 3-Way DRVN Series Coaxial Car Speakers
post #5 of 53 Old February 22nd, 2014, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
gtscrewd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Stang View Post
I put the ones below all the way around. They are a good upgrade over stock that's for sure. Sound quality got a good boost from the fronts and head unit going aftermarket. I didn't go real deep into expensive speakers obviously because I am just not a huge audio buff. I will say fronts made a lot more of an improvement over rears at least from what I can hear by staggering the install. The one's I linked are on crutchfield too but they have them listed $30 more per pair.

JVC CS-V6837 6" x 8" 3-Way DRVN Series Coaxial Car Speakers
Reps thanks!

July 2013 rotm winner
post #6 of 53 Old February 22nd, 2014, 11:24 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Depends how much you care about sq. for me with my hearing as it is now I would go with some cheaper speakers. Those jvc are good, so are pioneers for the price. For me to get better sound over those above you need to shell out a few hundred extra. I would get some of the Shelby kicker door subs and 2 sets of those jvc's or pioneers and call it a day!

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #7 of 53 Old February 22nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
If you already have subs in the door since you have the shaker 500, you don't need a 3 way speaker.

I listened to these in person and they had a really clear high and mid and almost no bass and they include their own built in crossover to keep the signal clear. I'm about to drop the hammer on a set for the front and rear.

Alpine SPS-517 Type S 5"x7"/6"x8" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

I did some quick digging on those JVCs and the cone surround is a cloth rubber mix which will break down faster than a pure rubber surround.
post #8 of 53 Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:05 PM
Regular

https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-gt-today.html

heres a decent write up on speaker upgrade, this is what ill most likely do if i ever get to it

JLT CAI, Bama tuner, MAC LTs/prochamber, flowmaster A/Ts, and much more to come
post #9 of 53 Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:28 PM
I <3 Car Crashes

I just posted a thread about this, but I have the shaker 1000. A couple members on here are using these and really like them

07 Honda CBR600RR--Akrapovic exhaust--power commander V--Flush & integrated signals--1000rr mirrors--Puig double bubble screen--shogun sliders, -1 +2 gearing coming soon

Selling and parting out my Mustang for another Jeep WJ!
post #10 of 53 Old February 22nd, 2014, 06:25 PM
Tig3rb8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination S197 View Post
If you already have subs in the door since you have the shaker 500, you don't need a 3 way speaker.

I listened to these in person and they had a really clear high and mid and almost no bass and they include their own built in crossover to keep the signal clear. I'm about to drop the hammer on a set for the front and rear.

Alpine SPS-517 Type S 5"x7"/6"x8" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

I did some quick digging on those JVCs and the cone surround is a cloth rubber mix which will break down faster than a pure rubber surround.
I agree on the alpine they sound really good ...... also memphis has great door and deck speakers.....but I had alpine in my chevy truck loved them...

2010 Gt Premium - sold

2016 Gt 5spd Magnetic Metallic

post #11 of 53 Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
gtscrewd

I'm really liking those alpines plus they would match the head unit...

July 2013 rotm winner
post #12 of 53 Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:55 PM
Regular

From what I can tell with the stock rear/ front spreakers (since i just did the swap 4 days ago), i say do a 6x8 with or without tweeters in the rear and focus all of your energy on the front. The rears from the factory dont even have a tweeter and just a larger magnet for a little bass to carry the sound. the front's have a coaxial with a tweeter but with literally no magnet, its like 1/8" of plastic on the rear vs. the 3/4" magnet on the rear. I say JL audio in the front, or its a no go. There is a guy who went with the 6" kit with seperate tweeters and mounted them in the triangle upper door pieces. That looks like the best option.
post #13 of 53 Old February 23rd, 2014, 10:36 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBlood View Post
I just posted a thread about this, but I have the shaker 1000. A couple members on here are using these and really like them Amazon.com: Pioneer TSD6802R 6 X 8 2-Way 260 Watt Speakers: Car Electronics
These are great for the price. I have some and love them.

See Garage for Mods
post #14 of 53 Old February 24th, 2014, 02:40 AM
I <3 Car Crashes

I think I'm gonna go with these for the price.

07 Honda CBR600RR--Akrapovic exhaust--power commander V--Flush & integrated signals--1000rr mirrors--Puig double bubble screen--shogun sliders, -1 +2 gearing coming soon

post #15 of 53 Old February 24th, 2014, 03:07 AM
Official Thread Killer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBlood View Post
I have a pair of those... I was gunna toss them in the rear, but I unfortunately have to rip half my car up to get there since for some damn reason ford went full retard and installed a speaker guard on the previous year v6 I had, but NOT the 07 GT/CS upgrade I just traded for...

'06 v6 - sold
'07 GT/CS - 10/10/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
Well my ass ain't going to fill it self motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
I thought it was big enough Rukus.
post #16 of 53 Old February 24th, 2014, 03:15 AM
I <3 Car Crashes

Yeah I saw on crutchfields website that the way the rears were installed changed in 07... If I have an 05 they should be simple to get to right?

post #17 of 53 Old February 24th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Turbo > blower

I know on mine you have to take out a whole rear interior panel, but mines a vert so it could be different

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
post #18 of 53 Old February 24th, 2014, 03:21 AM
Official Thread Killer

Garage
I have to start at the Sill Panel, then the rear panel, then the seat belt, then the rear seats, then the top carpet, then I can unscrew the speakers...

Nice guide

'06 v6 - sold
'07 GT/CS - 10/10/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
Well my ass ain't going to fill it self motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
I thought it was big enough Rukus.
post #19 of 53 Old February 24th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeRukus View Post
I have a pair of those... I was gunna toss them in the rear, but I unfortunately have to rip half my car up to get there since for some damn reason ford went full retard and installed a speaker guard on the previous year v6 I had, but NOT the 07 GT/CS upgrade I just traded for...
Yea not sure what they were thinking when they did that!

See Garage for Mods
post #20 of 53 Old February 24th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeRukus View Post
I have to start at the Sill Panel, then the rear panel, then the seat belt, then the rear seats, then the top carpet, then I can unscrew the speakers...

Nice guide
It isnt actually that hard. I dont understand why most people say that. I was just brave enough to try it and i figured out everything snaps together and had push pins. It took me 15 minutes to get to them and change both out whereas it took 30 minutes per door because of all the fricken bolts.
Yeah to the rear it is 10 push pins, and 4 screws per speaker, and the panels kind of snap into each other. Very easy! It sounds much harder than what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page