Tremec T56 Magnum XL Installed - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old April 26th, 2014, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Tremec T56 Magnum XL Installed

...and it's awesome.

Huge improvement in shifting over the 3650. I used my existing RXT clutch and McLeod flywheel.

I went with the 2.97 - 2.10 - 1.46 - 1 - .80 - .63 gear set. Did the install myself in my garage. The SFI bellhousing is narrower than the 3650 bell housing and that gives you more room underneath.

Short writeup at Tremec Magnum XL 6 Speed Transmission Installed | Levi Taylor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old April 26th, 2014, 12:44 AM
Insomniac

Garage
What rear gear do you have?I have 4.10s. I'm possibly going to go with the t56 and I can't decide the first gear I wanna go with

post #3 of 9 Old April 26th, 2014, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Regular

I have 3.73 gears. I can't run 4.10s because I run out of 4th gear in the 1/4 with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old April 26th, 2014, 12:58 AM
Insomniac

Garage
Hmm I doubt I'll ever hit 130+ mpg and my daily tires are 28". Decisions decisions lol

post #5 of 9 Old April 26th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Regular

Great comments Ford Evangelist....been thinking about this one for a bit and now you talked me into it. I still have my stock TR 3650 in mine and was wondering if you can confirm that my current Spec clutch/flywheel will work (or do I need 26 spline ), and my one piece drive shaft will be compatible, etc. Any fitment/clearance modifications necessary at all ?

2007 Black on Black,Gt 6 Speed
B326 Built Stroker,FRPP CNC Ported Heads,Whipple HO SC,15psi,Steeda 10 Rib Belt Drive,Kooks LT,HotRod Cams,4:10's,Mcleod RXT Twin Disk Clutch,Tremec T56 Magnum XL...
Daily driver
709 RWHP/712 RWTQ
Mustang Dyno

Last edited by GT E UPP; April 26th, 2014 at 05:58 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old April 26th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Insomniac

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT E UPP View Post
Great comments Ford Evangelist....been thinking about this one for a bit and now you talked me into it. I still have my stock TR 3650 in mine and was wondering if you can confirm that my current Spec clutch/flywheel will work (or do I need 26 spline ), and my one piece drive shaft will be compatible, etc. Any fitment/clearance modifications necessary at all ?
If you order the kit you'll get everything you need for the install. Clutch, ds, shifter etc

post #7 of 9 Old April 26th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Regular

Quote:
You'll need a 26 spline clutch disc and the T56 uses a slip yoke tail shaft so you'll need a T56 into a S197 Mustang DS.

I presume the kit comes with the wiring for the reverse lockout.
post #8 of 9 Old April 26th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Say When

Also depending on the kit you get you will need a pinion seal as well. My kit came with a new pinion to mate the axle to the driveshaft. And yes it is leaps and bounds over the 3650. I am still putting my break in miles on it but so far I love it. first thing I noticed was the 1st to 2nd shift. I can actually shift with no worries of it locking out second. There was no need for any major body mods. And as for reverse lock out, you dont need one. When you try to put it in reverse it takes some effort so it not accidental. My stock wiring harness plugged right in.

What did you do with your exhaust? Mine hangs to low. Doesnt help that im on sportlines either.

Kenne Bell S/C, T56 Magnum, Sexy Driver Mod
"lol" has become the new word for the term, "I have nothing further to say."
post #9 of 9 Old April 27th, 2014, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Regular

I was going to do the reverse lockout (wire to the brake pedal) but decided not to. It's not that bad getting into reverse and I like the safety factor there. Without the reverse lockout, I can't imagine accidentally hitting Reverse.

Yep, need a 26 spline clutch. I re-used my existing RXT and just replaced the slave and the pilot bearing since I had it out.

I bought mine as a kit and it included the Dynotech slip yoke driveshaft.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

I have ARH longtubes and an o/r H pipe. The transmission didn't interfere with that at all. I'm on Eibach drag springs right now. I did buy a JPC driveshaft loop and that part does hit my H-pipe - so I have it (d/s loop) out for now until I figure out what to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLILPwNy! View Post
Also depending on the kit you get you will need a pinion seal as well. My kit came with a new pinion to mate the axle to the driveshaft. And yes it is leaps and bounds over the 3650. I am still putting my break in miles on it but so far I love it. first thing I noticed was the 1st to 2nd shift. I can actually shift with no worries of it locking out second. There was no need for any major body mods. And as for reverse lock out, you dont need one. When you try to put it in reverse it takes some effort so it not accidental. My stock wiring harness plugged right in.

What did you do with your exhaust? Mine hangs to low. Doesnt help that im on sportlines either.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Thanks. I wish I had done this sooner! haha I was considering an auto but decided on the Magnum and have 0 regrets.

Looks like you make about the same power I do - that's amazing on a stock 3650. You'll like the Magnum for sure. I didn't have any clearance issues with the transmission, only the driveshaft loop that I mentioned. Transmission install was a breeze.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page