K Member Help - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old August 12th, 2014, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Post K Member Help

Hello guys I'm in the process of buying a tubular k member for my 2009 to offset the extra weight for my glass roof, I've searched a lot and it seems like UPR (26#) and BmR (24#) are good choices since I will be reusing my stock a arms / frpp springs and struts. I do plan on adding either brands arms and possibly getting coil overs but that wouldn't be for a while! So with that being said which k member will play best with my stock components for several months until I upgrade the rest.

Also my car is not set up for drag racing or course racing, I drive it 1-4 times a month but I will take it to the strip eventually.

2009 45th Anniversary Mustang GT: 5 Speed, Glass Roof, Navigation, Black Racing Seat, FRPP P Springs, FRPP Stingers, FRPP Short Shifter, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, Steeda CMDP, JLT CAI, SCT Bama Tune (91 Race), Motive 4.10 Gears (Whine!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old August 12th, 2014, 06:06 AM
00blkvert

I would go with the BMR. I have the BMR on my car and it's awesome. It fits well and everything fits with no issues. My brother has a 2000 Bullitt with the UPR and the quality seems lower and the fitment wasn't as good.

post #3 of 25 Old August 12th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

BMR for sure

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old August 12th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Authorized Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyWhite40thGT View Post
Hello guys I'm in the process of buying a tubular k member for my 2009 to offset the extra weight for my glass roof, I've searched a lot and it seems like UPR (26#) and BmR (24#) are good choices since I will be reusing my stock a arms / frpp springs and struts. I do plan on adding either brands arms and possibly getting coil overs but that wouldn't be for a while! So with that being said which k member will play best with my stock components for several months until I upgrade the rest.

Also my car is not set up for drag racing or course racing, I drive it 1-4 times a month but I will take it to the strip eventually.
Well, in all honesty....they should work pretty similar, assuming that Brand U has a quality manufacturing procedure for the K-Member. Their S197 K-Member is a copy of ours.

That said, I am not sure if they used our K-Member to make their jig, or not. If they did, I have faith that our (BMR) K-Member will fit better, because we re-engineered our K-Member after they released their copy of ours.

I always recommend going with the innovators, and not the imitators....but, I can definitely see why some people will purchase the less expensive option.

As for A-Arms, they make such a big difference in the dynamics of the car. The steering, braking, handling, suspension movement.....they help tremendously. Keep in mind, Brand U does not offer tubular A-Arms. We do, as you likely know.

Thanks for considering our components, and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Good luck!
post #5 of 25 Old August 12th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

The upr one is not much cheaper than the the BMR unit. Order the BMR one from AM and use the forum discount code. BMR parts ar going on my car after I buy another daily. I love that they check the forums and help people and they have awesome customer reviews.
post #6 of 25 Old August 12th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

BMR is the only one I would consider.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #7 of 25 Old August 12th, 2014, 05:18 PM
At the Apex pulling 1.28g

Send a message via Yahoo to Whiskey11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Tech View Post
Well, in all honesty....they should work pretty similar, assuming that Brand U has a quality manufacturing procedure for the K-Member. Their S197 K-Member is a copy of ours.

That said, I am not sure if they used our K-Member to make their jig, or not. If they did, I have faith that our (BMR) K-Member will fit better, because we re-engineered our K-Member after they released their copy of ours.

I always recommend going with the innovators, and not the imitators....but, I can definitely see why some people will purchase the less expensive option.

As for A-Arms, they make such a big difference in the dynamics of the car. The steering, braking, handling, suspension movement.....they help tremendously. Keep in mind, Brand U does not offer tubular A-Arms. We do, as you likely know.

Thanks for considering our components, and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Good luck!
I'm glad BMR is taking a more aggressive route with UPR's blatant copying of your product.

BMR K-member all the way.

If you get their A-Arms with the taller ball joints you will want a bumpsteer kit sooner rather than later.

2015 Mustang GT/PP Autocross Build Thread:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-pp-build.html
post #8 of 25 Old August 12th, 2014, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Wow thanks a lot guys! I'll be buying the BMR k members very soon with some LCA! I'm excited to get it in red!

2009 45th Anniversary Mustang GT: 5 Speed, Glass Roof, Navigation, Black Racing Seat, FRPP P Springs, FRPP Stingers, FRPP Short Shifter, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, Steeda CMDP, JLT CAI, SCT Bama Tune (91 Race), Motive 4.10 Gears (Whine!).
post #9 of 25 Old August 13th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Authorized Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey11 View Post
I'm glad BMR is taking a more aggressive route with UPR's blatant copying of your product.

BMR K-member all the way.

If you get their A-Arms with the taller ball joints you will want a bumpsteer kit sooner rather than later.
Thanks Whiskey.

And just to throw it out there, we have been seeing more and more bent/snapped "tall" ball joints, in the 18mm variety.

I am working on integrating a caution/note to customers who are using the "tall" versions for handling. I may even discontinue the tall 18mm versions.

I feel MUCH more comfortable directing people towards the 19mm Tall versions....as they have proven to be much more durable. The only downfall is, the 2005 - August 2009 cars will need to either modify their ball joint mounts....or upgrade to a newer spindle.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyWhite40thGT View Post
Wow thanks a lot guys! I'll be buying the BMR k members very soon with some LCA! I'm excited to get it in red!
AWESOME!

Let me know if you have any questions.
post #10 of 25 Old August 13th, 2014, 07:21 PM
At the Apex pulling 1.28g

Send a message via Yahoo to Whiskey11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Tech View Post
Thanks Whiskey.

And just to throw it out there, we have been seeing more and more bent/snapped "tall" ball joints, in the 18mm variety.

I am working on integrating a caution/note to customers who are using the "tall" versions for handling. I may even discontinue the tall 18mm versions.

I feel MUCH more comfortable directing people towards the 19mm Tall versions....as they have proven to be much more durable. The only downfall is, the 2005 - August 2009 cars will need to either modify their ball joint mounts....or upgrade to a newer spindle.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

AWESOME!

Let me know if you have any questions.
There was a guy over on S197 Forum in the Corner - Carver section that drilled out his 05-09 spindles to fit 19mm ball joints. Since the hole is only expanding 1mm I doubt it negatively impacted the strength of the spindle and frankly isn't that difficult to do correctly. That might be worth testing if you guys are feeling frisky!

2015 Mustang GT/PP Autocross Build Thread:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-pp-build.html
post #11 of 25 Old August 13th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Regular

Even if the quality was the same I would go with BMR, their customer service definitely sets a standard in the industry that many other companys could learn from. Just my 2 cents

430 rwhp.6psi. Forged longblock in progress.
post #12 of 25 Old August 14th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Authorized Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey11 View Post
There was a guy over on S197 Forum in the Corner - Carver section that drilled out his 05-09 spindles to fit 19mm ball joints. Since the hole is only expanding 1mm I doubt it negatively impacted the strength of the spindle and frankly isn't that difficult to do correctly. That might be worth testing if you guys are feeling frisky!
I've had road course customers doing this for several years now, with no issues. I was leary the first time I "suggested" it on Robin Riners AIX car....but, so far so good. I havent seen any issues yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
Even if the quality was the same I would go with BMR, their customer service definitely sets a standard in the industry that many other companys could learn from. Just my 2 cents
Thanks a ton!!!
post #13 of 25 Old October 23rd, 2014, 04:17 PM

Two Cents:

Brand U's k-member is lighter because it is chrome-moly. Brand B's is mild steel. Also, Brand U decided not to manufacture tubular a-arms after seeing Brand B's a-arms fail (break apart), multiple times. It seems that the OEM arms with upgraded bushings are the way to go.
post #14 of 25 Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:23 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

What brand B had their A-arms break apart?

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #15 of 25 Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
What brand B had their A-arms break apart?
The brand IzzyWhite45thGT has chosen to purchase.
post #16 of 25 Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:50 PM
00blkvert

Brand B has continued to update their arms. I haven't seen their arms break "apart". Yes there was an issue at one point but they took their designed and made it stronger. So to me brand U didn't design arms because of brand B had an issue. I'm also taking it as brand U had no where to start their design from and didn't attempt to engineer it on their own.

post #17 of 25 Old October 24th, 2014, 01:04 AM
Like A Boss

Why the hell don't you guys just say BMR and upr?

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
post #18 of 25 Old October 24th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Regular

Yep, BMR for me .... Just ordered their K-Member and A-Arms

2007 Black on Black,Gt 6 Speed
B326 Built Stroker,FRPP CNC Ported Heads,Whipple HO SC,15psi,Steeda 10 Rib Belt Drive,Kooks LT,HotRod Cams,4:10's,Mcleod RXT Twin Disk Clutch,Tremec T56 Magnum XL...
Daily driver
709 RWHP/712 RWTQ
Mustang Dyno
post #19 of 25 Old October 24th, 2014, 06:41 AM
00blkvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
Why the hell don't you guys just say BMR and upr?
The 2 companies are trying to not drop product names since there is 2 different company representatives in this thread.

post #20 of 25 Old October 24th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin' 08 View Post
The 2 companies are trying to not drop product names since there is 2 different company representatives in this thread.
I am sorry, did not notice the second one.

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/469169-k-member-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
k member help | BoardReader This thread Refback October 23rd, 2014 11:06 AM