All 3 of my idler pulleys seems to wobble... - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old September 16th, 2014, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
All 3 of my idler pulleys seems to wobble...

This last week I got the feeling that my car had lost a little pep. I checked all the usual stuff, like intake, maf, throttle body. After that didnt bring back the lost power i reloaded my tune, still nothing.

I recently installed Prothane engine mounts, as well as a full suspension upgrade, so this sudden power loss was really irritating me.

Anyway, I noticed today that all 3 idler pulleys are wobbling slightly (but no noticable noise or squeaks). It also looks like my tensioner was moving more than it should. So i figure this may be the extra drag ive been feeling (the powerloss seems about equivelent to havibg the AC on).

So my question for everyone is with just 40k miles on my GT, what are the oods that all 3 idler pulleys would start to wobble at the same time? What would cause this aside from coincidence? I have BBK underdrive pullies installed... maybe the stock belt was too loose and the tensioner wasvjumping, putting uneven strain on the idlers?

Just trying to get ideas to stop the new idlers im gonna have to buy from the same fate.

Any thoughts?

Roush, FFRP, BMR, Steeda, Brembo, DSS, Kooks, MMD, Flowmaster, Nitto, SHR, Cervinis, SVE, McLeod... All the good shit. See my Garage for complete mod list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old September 16th, 2014, 12:46 AM
Banned

Ford is using Chinese bearings in the idlers now. Swap them out. And if you have underdrive pulleys on the car (larger diameter) then that would make the belt tighter unless I'm missing something.

-
post #3 of 11 Old September 16th, 2014, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
Any good vendors for a better quality idler pulley? My UDP kit consists of a smaller crank pulley, and a slightly larger water pump pulley. Not sure really if the overall combination makes the belt tighter or looser though. I just find it odd that they all went together.

Roush, FFRP, BMR, Steeda, Brembo, DSS, Kooks, MMD, Flowmaster, Nitto, SHR, Cervinis, SVE, McLeod... All the good shit. See my Garage for complete mod list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old September 16th, 2014, 01:00 AM
Banned

If your belt is too loose then you can go up a size on one or more of your idlers. Your belt tensioner should have alignment marks indicating the optimal tension range. If the tensioner is too loose or too tight that's not good.

As far as idler pulleys you can pick up generic ones from your local vatozone.

-
post #5 of 11 Old September 16th, 2014, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
Ill look for the tensioner marks, see where its at. I was looking for better quality/billet aluminum type of idlers, since i have to replace them... though id get some that match the billet underdrive pulleys. Cant find any though. Ill just get them from the local auto chainstore if theyre all made in China anyway. Thanks for your input!

post #6 of 11 Old September 16th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Banned

I'm sure you can find high dollar billet idlers. I'm more into function and not willing to pay $60+ each for idler pulleys.

-
post #7 of 11 Old September 16th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwerl View Post
And if you have underdrive pulleys on the car (larger diameter) then that would make the belt tighter unless I'm missing something.
You are.
Underdrive pulleys consist of a smaller diameter crank pulley with a larger diameter water pump pulley so you still use the stock belt. With a smaller crank pulley the other accessories are spun at a lower speed and that should prolong their life.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #8 of 11 Old September 17th, 2014, 04:35 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSEOD View Post
Any good vendors for a better quality idler pulley? My UDP kit consists of a smaller crank pulley, and a slightly larger water pump pulley. Not sure really if the overall combination makes the belt tighter or looser though. I just find it odd that they all went together.
Thump RRR Racing Billet Aluminum Pulleys, New Jersey, NJ

Good looking and solid. Some have double bearings. I run their tensioner.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #9 of 11 Old September 17th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Like A Boss

Don't buy new idlers. I have the part number for the smooth idler bearing. Just press the old one out and the new one in. Gotta find the part no.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

6203-2RS C3
17mm x 40mm x 12mm
Quality bearings belts and chains on eBay
$2.75ea. Free shipping

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
post #10 of 11 Old September 17th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Regular

Metco has billet idlers

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr254/svtwin73/image_zpsc7776416.jpg
5.0 stroker, Roush 2300 w/3.2", 10% overcrank, Bullet-RGR spec cams, Kooks LT w/cats, FM axle back, TruTrac 3.73
post #11 of 11 Old September 18th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svtwin73 View Post
Metco has billet idlers
So does my grandmother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page