anyone travel with 4.10 gears - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old November 17th, 2014, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Project Roush underway

anyone travel with 4.10 gears

I know, I know, another gear question!!!

Just wondering before i have my gears installed, how is it traveling with 4.10's.

I was told that i should just put in 3.73's since I travel alot (atleast 3 or more hours driving every other month).

I also plan on supercharging!!!

If its not a big deal i would rather run the 4.10's for the kick i heard you get out of them!!!

All information is gratefully appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2007 GT Convertible, JBA LT Headers and o/r mid pipe 3", Roush Axle-Back Exhaust, Roush short shifter, Roush CAI, SR lca's, and a lot of visuals!!!
Have to get installed: 4.10 gears, and UDP's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old November 17th, 2014, 04:34 AM
Insomniac

Garage
With stock height tires cruise control is set to right around 60-65 mph, puts your rpm right about 2250 and she purrs along along to about 27-28mpg on long flat roads closer to 24-25 on hilly roads. I actually have taller than stock tires 29" to be exact (monster truck I know) so my cruise control is set around 70mph at 2250 rpm

post #3 of 27 Old November 17th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Power3 View Post
I also plan on supercharging!!!

If its not a big deal i would rather run the 4.10's for the kick i heard you get out of them!!!
I'd advise against swapping in a 4.10 if you're going to add a supercharger, simply because the shorter gearing will render 1st gear almost useless due to excessive wheelspin. You'll find yourself launching in 2nd gear most of the time to get away quickly (maybe even 3rd on a wet road) so just keep the stock axle gears and avoid those downsides.
You also won't be installing UDPs with a supercharger so that's two sets of parts you might end up having to sell.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old November 17th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
I'd advise against swapping in a 4.10 if you're going to add a supercharger, simply because the shorter gearing will render 1st gear almost useless due to excessive wheelspin. Just keep the stock axle gears.
You also won't be installing UDPs with a supercharger so that's two sets of parts you won't be using.
There are a lot of guys running a supercharger and 4.10's, both auto and manual. The majority like it actually. Although there is always the great debate of what gear is best.

Traveling with 4.10's has never been a problem with me, lost about 2mpg cruising at 80-85, but that's about it.

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #5 of 27 Old November 17th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr confused View Post
There are a lot of guys running a supercharger and 4.10's, both auto and manual. The majority like it actually.
I could understand using 4.10s in a N/A manual GT with performance cams (+/- ported heads/FRPP manifold) where the rpm limit is extended and peak torque is shifted to higher rpm, but adding more torque multiplication to the wheels when you already have more torque multiplication at the crank goes against all logic but then again, so do many other things in life.
post #6 of 27 Old November 17th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Regular

Yep, many do ...and I'm one of them and love it !
Starting off in 2nd or 3rd is not an option for me.
Get yourself some relatively sticky tires and learn how to drive her.
On the highway, You will be at only 2400 rpms at 70 mph with a TR-3650 5 speed.
Have fun !!

2007 Black on Black,Gt 6 Speed
B326 Built Stroker,FRPP CNC Ported Heads,Whipple HO SC,15psi,Steeda 10 Rib Belt Drive,Kooks LT,HotRod Cams,4:10's,Mcleod RXT Twin Disk Clutch,Tremec T56 Magnum XL...
Daily driver
709 RWHP/712 RWTQ
Mustang Dyno
post #7 of 27 Old November 17th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

485 rwhp through 4.10's and did a 600 mile (1200 round trip) journey. No issues, well an alternator, but no issues as far as the motor. You're only going to run a few hundred rpm's higher. It's not like driving for hours in fourth instead of fifth. And if you are worried about it, take 15 more minutes for your trip and drive 5 mph slower. Enjoy the view and spend a little more time with the car you love. Sound like Dr Phil or something right there.

Do whatever feels comfortable for you. Don't listen to blanket statements that people make when it comes to gears because they are all wrong.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #8 of 27 Old November 17th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
I could understand using 4.10s in a N/A manual GT with performance cams (+/- ported heads/FRPP manifold) where the rpm limit is extended and peak torque is shifted to higher rpm, but adding more torque multiplication to the wheels when you already have more torque multiplication at the crank goes against all logic but then again, so do many other things in life.
How does doing more torque multiplication at the wheels while having more at the crank against all logic??? Isn't that the whole purpose of adding power and going faster? Sure there comes a time where deminishing returns makes it usless, but we are not at those levels here...well depending on your tire choice that is.

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #9 of 27 Old November 17th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr confused View Post
How does doing more torque multiplication at the wheels while having more at the crank against all logic??? Isn't that the whole purpose of adding power and going faster? Sure there comes a time where deminishing returns makes it usless, but we are not at those levels here...well depending on your tire choice that is.
I'm not quite sure what he meant here either. Everything I do to my car is to get more torque to the rear wheels and to the ground. To me, that is perfectly logical. The more torque I can get to the wheels, the faster I can go. What doesn't make sense here?

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #10 of 27 Old November 17th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Insomniac

Garage
More tq to move this big girl

post #11 of 27 Old November 17th, 2014, 01:09 PM