Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   Modular Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/)
-   -   Lt Header Question (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/52844-lt-header-question.html)

american muscle January 27th, 2008 10:19 PM

Lt Header Question

Im looking at ordering the kooks 1 5/8" LT's with 2.5" catted x. Will I need a tune after installing the long tubes. I was reading on another thread by modern muscle about all the problems he was having with his tunes. If I need one what should I get and were should I order it from. Also does anybody know of any good performance shops around southern ohio?

06VistaGT January 27th, 2008 10:24 PM

You would need a tune, I bought my Kooks from Lethalperformance.com, but Brenspeed sells them too. Actually, got my tune for them and my CAI from Brenspeed. I had the check engine light come on once, but a quick call to Brenspeed and they emailed me an adjusted tune for free. No issues since, had them on for almost 2yrs now.

american muscle January 27th, 2008 10:34 PM

Is there much difference between the SCT and the Diablosport? Which is better/easier to work with?

Jucostud January 27th, 2008 10:53 PM

I have the sct xcal 3 and love it. All the performance shops around me use sct also. They are both supposed to be pretty good though. I would say go with the sct, but that's just because i have one. You should buy it from brenspeed.

acehogg69 January 28th, 2008 11:50 AM

AM what part of Ohio ya in? Check out Brenspeed. He's in northern Indiana. He would probably cut ya a good deal on the exhaust tuner and a CAI if u don't have one. I am moving back to Cincy in a few days.

garydahl January 28th, 2008 12:18 PM

I have longtubes and C&L CAI .You will need a tune with the CAI but not with the headers!
The only reason you would want to dyno tune after the LT headers is to get rid of the "O2 sensor responding to slow error" They adjusted my open loop to 2200 rpm to get rid of the nasty check engine light. The problem that I can only assume holds true with all Long tube headers is that the O2 sensors are moved further from the engine so they don't get as hot as fast.
I had both SCT and Predator tuner and the only reason I changed tuners is ,I changed dyno shops and they only used the Predator tuner. I really don't think there is much difference between the two of them !
I love my headers and my CAI ! This is my car on a dyno if you want to see and here it
Good luck:D

onederful100 January 28th, 2008 12:21 PM

you may need a tune for the hi flow cats, a friend of mine installed hi flow cats and still had a check engine light for the rear O2 sensors. i would recommend ordering from brenspeed. the kooks system is very good, nice choice!!

06RedfireGT January 28th, 2008 12:49 PM

You won't need a tune, but ti wouldn't be a bad idea to get one. Brenspeed and Bamachips are both good places to get tunes.

american muscle January 28th, 2008 09:49 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like I should order from Brenspeed. Acehogg69, I'm in Marietta, a small town about 75 miles southeast of columbus, right on the Ohio river. You know of any good performance shops or car shows in OH?

06VistaGT January 28th, 2008 10:03 PM

SCT is the most supported in my area as far as mustangs go and supported by all the online mustang places I shop at. I guess you probably won't need a tune for the LTs, but with the high flow catts...they may trigger a check engine light. Brenspeed has been good to me so far, great service and help.

american muscle January 28th, 2008 10:14 PM

Not to change gears here but should I update my throttle body and add delete plates if Im going to add a supercharger down the road?

prodrifterx January 28th, 2008 10:22 PM

depends what type supercharger.....magnacharger/whipple/kenne bell--is there one yet dont bother because they replace the intake manifold. if you go with procharger or paxton or vortech then the delete plates are a good idea....throttle body is a definiteyea.

american muscle January 28th, 2008 10:28 PM

Im probably going with a centri, probably procharger or paxton. Im new to the FI game so im still doing my research.

JonCo January 28th, 2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by american muscle (Post 820900)
Im probably going with a centri, probably procharger or paxton. Im new to the FI game so im still doing my research.

I'm in the same boat. I'm leaning more towards the Procharger HO. But I'd take a Paxton 2200 any day also. I'm just getting a much better deal on the procharger. I like how both use the air to air intercooler. my .02

acehogg69 January 29th, 2008 08:43 AM

I am not sure of any in Ohio when I get up this w/e and check around and get back to you. Yeah I know where that is. We will have to get some other guys together and hit the track this spring.

Trick Tuners January 29th, 2008 10:52 AM

You NEED a tune with LTs. The extra exhaust scavenging will lean it out.

06RedfireGT January 29th, 2008 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prodrifterx (Post 820874)
depends what type supercharger.....magnacharger/whipple/kenne bell--is there one yet dont bother because they replace the intake manifold. if you go with procharger or paxton or vortech then the delete plates are a good idea....throttle body is a definiteyea.

delete plates = yes for centri blower, no for twin screw/roots

throttle body = no, almost everybody that has one has had problems with them and the stock piece is fine for the amout of horsepower you will be making.

prodrifterx January 29th, 2008 08:54 PM

i didnt know that problems existed with aftermarket ones.....unless its that the stock piece flows very well.

06RedfireGT January 29th, 2008 09:40 PM

The stock piece is fine until like 600hp. The aftermarket ones aren't worth it.

american muscle January 29th, 2008 10:53 PM

Sounds like a plan acehogg. I should have a few mods bolted on by spring and would love to see what kinda numbers my ride will put down. I dont want to get too crazy with the hp. Im looking at staying around 500hp. Something fun to play around with the ricers around town but still driveable on the street.