Ditch my catch can for breathers? - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 Old May 15th, 2015, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Mine loses about 1 quart of oil between oil changes but that doesnt account for residual oil in the heads, pan and filter. I empty my catch can about eveey month or so and it only has about half a cup of oil in it but when I changed my oil yesterday, I noticed that I only lost about 1/2 a quart of oil this time.

When I installed my gt500 tb, the stocker was covered in oil and thats when I decided I needed a catch can.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old May 15th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

How is oil getting all over the TB when the PCV is behind it? Just wondering how that works cause mine was gunked up before as well.

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #23 of 38 Old May 15th, 2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Id like to know myself, the whole back side of the throttle plate was drenched in oil

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 Old May 15th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
I have to empty my jlt every time I get gas. That alone proves to me that it works. I honestly don't know how oil consumption isn't a bigger issue with the 3v.
Thats exactly my experience with my supercharged v6. After about 500 or so miles its 1/3rd full sometimes, it all depends how hard you push the car. My only complaint it sometimes the can itself feels oily, like the O-ring isn't doing that hot of a job.
post #25 of 38 Old May 15th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra_Commander View Post
Thats exactly my experience with my supercharged v6. After about 500 or so miles its 1/3rd full sometimes, it all depends how hard you push the car. My only complaint it sometimes the can itself feels oily, like the O-ring isn't doing that hot of a job.
I've never had that, but my kustom sprinkler tubing seems to be leaking just a bit of oil. Gonna have to redo that sometime.

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
post #26 of 38 Old May 15th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Regular

Quote:
I've never had that, but my kustom sprinkler tubing seems to be leaking just a bit of oil. Gonna have to redo that sometime.
The can itself is at an angle but I don't see it being avoidable? been meaning to shoot a bit of the k&n cleaner I have into the mesh filter.. maybe if that filter gets enough oil on it, it will act wonky and promote slow leaks elsewhere when under stress?
post #27 of 38 Old May 15th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra_Commander View Post
The can itself is at an angle but I don't see it being avoidable? been meaning to shoot a bit of the k&n cleaner I have into the mesh filter.. maybe if that filter gets enough oil on it, it will act wonky and promote slow leaks elsewhere when under stress?
Do you have they type that has something like steel wool as the mesh? Mine just looks like a cup shape of fine mesh. Doesn't really keep much in the mesh itself, everything falls into the can.

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
post #28 of 38 Old May 15th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Regular

Quote:
Do you have they type that has something like steel wool as the mesh? Mine just looks like a cup shape of fine mesh. Doesn't really keep much in the mesh itself, everything falls into the can.
Havent looked right at it for sometime, I remember it has a metal grill or really open mesh, followed by what looks like steel wool trapped in it acting as the actual filter.
post #29 of 38 Old May 16th, 2015, 04:51 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr confused View Post
How is oil getting all over the TB when the PCV is behind it? Just wondering how that works cause mine was gunked up before as well.
If you still have the PCV tube going from the passenger side valve cover to the intake pipe, the TB will become oily pretty quickly. The other PCV tube contains a one-way valve and goes from the driver's side valve cover to the intake manifold.
Like I said earlier, your best bet is to isolate the crankcase from the intake system altogether. For N/A applications, a pair of valve cover breathers would suffice but for boosted applications, I'd recommend plumbing in catch cans on both valve covers with breather filters on the open ends of each catch can. You could also use the same set-up on a higher mileage N/A application if oil consumption is higher than normal or if you run the engine hard.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #30 of 38 Old May 16th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
If you still have the PCV tube going from the passenger side valve cover to the intake pipe, the TB will become oily pretty quickly. The other PCV tube contains a one-way valve and goes from the driver's side valve cover to the intake manifold.
Like I said earlier, your best bet is to isolate the crankcase from the intake system altogether. For N/A applications, a pair of valve cover breathers would suffice but for boosted applications, I'd recommend plumbing in catch cans on both valve covers with breather filters on the open ends of each catch can. You could also use the same set-up on a higher mileage N/A application if oil consumption is higher than normal or if you run the engine hard.
I was asking about when I was stock setup. When running breathers the system gets reversed I get that, the passenger side becomes high pressure and drivers side becomes low pressure (or whatever terms it is). But in stock form the oil is spit out of the drivers side, which is behind the TB. The TB still gets a coating of oil, how is that so? My current setup is breathers on both sides, nothing touching the intake at all. Running a catch can on both sides with a breather on it is a waste of money, the drivers side will not spit out oil anymore so there is no need for one on that side. A catch can to breather on the passenger side with a breather will contain the oil instead of spitting it onto the valve covers and then onto the header and/or making a mess sure, but doesn't change anything else.

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #31 of 38 Old May 16th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Eat Springs, Shit Valves

Quote:
Why would you install breather cans and still leave the PCV hooked up? That would let in a ton of unmetered air. Either go breathers or install a can. Don't try to do both unless you are just running lines from the valve covers to breather cans with the intake ports capped off.
post #32 of 38 Old May 16th, 2015, 08:51 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
I was asking about when I was stock setup. When running breathers the system gets reversed I get that, the passenger side becomes high pressure and drivers side becomes low pressure (or whatever terms it is). But in stock form the oil is spit out of the drivers side, which is behind the TB. The TB still gets a coating of oil, how is that so?
That's incorrect. The passenger side doesn't "become" high pressure and the driver's side doesn't "become" low pressure. Both sides of the crankcase have a pulsatile variation of pressure depending on the movements of the pistons and should be more or less equal. However, more oil tends to accumulate at the top of the engine on the passenger side so that side produces more oil vapors. If the passenger side valve cover is connected to the intake pipe in front of the TB, the TB will soon be coated in oil. The solution is to either run a breather alone or a catch can with breather.

Quote:
Running a catch can on both sides with a breather on it is a waste of money
Not a waste of money at all. It's the ultimate solution on a boosted application and also works very well on a N/A application. The driver's side might spit out less oil so you could try initially with a catch can and breather on the passenger side, and a breather only on the driver's side.
If you're still getting a lot of oil in your TB despite isolating the intake system from the crankcase, it's likely to be coming from an over-oiled conical air filter.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherS197GT View Post
Why would you install breather cans and still leave the PCV hooked up? That would let in a ton of unmetered air. Either go breathers or install a can. Don't try to do both unless you are just running lines from the valve covers to breather cans with the intake ports capped off.
Who said anything about leaving the PCV hooked up?
The idea is to delete the PCV altogether and cap off both intake ports as I did.
post #33 of 38 Old May 16th, 2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Thats funny because the drivers side pcv is the one that gets really oily but the passenger side does not at all

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #34 of 38 Old May 16th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
That's incorrect. The passenger side doesn't "become" high pressure and the driver's side doesn't "become" low pressure. Both sides of the crankcase have a pulsatile variation of pressure depending on the movements of the pistons and should be more or less equal. However, more oil tends to accumulate at the top of the engine on the passenger side so that side produces more oil vapors. If the passenger side valve cover is connected to the intake pipe in front of the TB, the TB will soon be coated in oil. The solution is to either run a breather alone or a catch can with breather.

Not a waste of money at all. It's the ultimate solution on a boosted application and also works very well on a N/A application. The driver's side might spit out less oil so you could try initially with a catch can and breather on the passenger side, and a breather only on the driver's side.
If you're still getting a lot of oil in your TB despite isolating the intake system from the crankcase, it's likely to be coming from an over-oiled conical air filter.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

The idea is to delete the PCV altogether and cap off both intake ports as I did.
I'm not sure why you keep thinking that after I went to breathers I was still getting oil on the TB, pretty sure I said twice "with the stock setup". And if you disconnect both sides, you will not get oil out of the drivers side. Have been about 20k on my breathers and the drivers filter is still 100% bone dry. So yes, adding a catch can and breathers to the drivers side is a complete waste of money.

post #35 of 38 Old May 16th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
I'm not sure why you keep thinking that after I went to breathers I was still getting oil on the TB, pretty sure I said twice "with the stock setup".
Gotcha.

Quote:
And if you disconnect both sides, you will not get oil out of the drivers side. Have been about 20k on my breathers and the drivers filter is still 100% bone dry. So yes, adding a catch can and breathers to the drivers side is a complete waste of money.
Same here. Driver's side filter is virtually bone dry, passenger filter slightly oily but not enough to prompt me to add a passenger side catch can. I've had them on for 14 months and I clean them every 6 months. The car's done 72k miles.
post #36 of 38 Old May 16th, 2015, 04:21 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtS197 View Post
Id like to know myself, the whole back side of the throttle plate was drenched in oil

It's just the proximity of the pcv line to the TB.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Quote:

More oil does not accumulate on the passenger side. The reason why the passenger side gets more oil with a breather set up is that is the ONLY vent for the crankcase. To prevent this you have to remove the pcv valve from the cam cover. Also putting in an oil cap breather will help also as the gases have another outlet. The drivers side does squat when you go to breathers. You don't even really need to put a breather on there if you don't want to.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtS197 View Post
Thats funny because the drivers side pcv is the one that gets really oily but the passenger side does not at all

It only gets oily if you have the stock PCV system. Once you go to breathers the passenger side will be the oily one.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #37 of 38 Old May 16th, 2015, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Oh ok gotcha, thanks boss. Eventually Ill switch to breathers and Ill dish out the dough for an oil filler cap breather. I was going to ask about if I needed one too, guess you read my mind lol

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #38 of 38 Old May 17th, 2015, 06:11 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
More oil does not accumulate on the passenger side. The reason why the passenger side gets more oil with a breather set up is that is the ONLY vent for the crankcase. To prevent this you have to remove the pcv valve from the cam cover.
Done that already.
Not sure if this article also applies to the 3V Modular engine but it makes interesting reading:

How to Fix Oil Drain-Back And Windage Problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page