On3 or novi 1200 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old May 11th, 2015, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Regular

On3 or novi 1200

Did some pickin around some old threads.. Even commented on one from 2010 by accident lol. Can't find someone who truly didn't like the on3 kit. My goal is 450 hp 400 ftlbs. With a good tune I Believe I'll see numbers in the 400s with either the novi or the on3. The one thing that turns me off from the on3 kit is eliminating the option to reinstall a stock midpipe for inspection. What are yall thoughts on the matter?

Waiting till I have enough posts to browse and post a wtb add to the classifieds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 11th, 2015, 01:42 PM
MM Fanatic

I did a lot of research on the on3 kits when I had my 2v and the concensus is that the kits are ok but some parts, like the bov, need to be replaced. Also Ive read where some people needed to tweak parts, like piping, to fit properly. Otherwise its a great kit for the money and can support a lot of horsepower.

Now the novi is another story, its a great entry level blower for the money. Itll make similar numbers as the on3 but it will be an easier install and will allow you to run your stock midpipe.

They both have their ups and downs but if you need to keep your midpipe stock for inspection purposes, Id go with the novi.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #3 of 16 Old May 11th, 2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Regular

I'm leaning towards novi for the reasons you've stated, though I've also read the novi1200 is a waste unless I'm gonna get a fmic.. I can't afford the 2200.

People have said their track times suck ass without an intercooler. Which makes sense it would essentially be a scalding hot ram air. Though I can't find any info on what cost effective fmic to run.. On top of that i have an 05 gt.. Heard horror stories about the coolant piping issue.. Not sure what to do. Modify to an 07+ coolant crossover? But then what kit do I buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old May 11th, 2015, 10:47 PM
MM Fanatic

Are you going to get a kit of are you going to piece one together? What coolant issue are you referring to? Also do you track your car or is it a street warrior? Thatll dictate which kit you should get

For the mount of power you want I think the 1200 should be fine plus its upgradable and you can add an intercooler later on to help cool the intake charge.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #5 of 16 Old May 12th, 2015, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Regular

I want a capable somewhat daily driver. I have my work truck so I'm not too worried about dding a racecar lol.

Buddy of mine put a v2 on his 06, he said he was pissing coolant out of a coolant plug he had to install on the intake manifold. Haven't heard anyone else with the problem so maybe it was due to poor installation. I'm looking to get the novi1200 tuner kit. Grab the cxracing vortech compatible fmic, gt500 pumps, and 47# injectors. A wideband and a boost gauge. That's my plan to budget build.
post #6 of 16 Old May 12th, 2015, 11:39 AM
The Dude Abides

Garage
Any supercharger is my vote. Pass on On3
post #7 of 16 Old May 12th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanjian46 View Post
I'm leaning towards novi for the reasons you've stated, though I've also read the novi1200 is a waste unless I'm gonna get a fmic.. I can't afford the 2200.

People have said their track times suck ass without an intercooler. Which makes sense it would essentially be a scalding hot ram air. Though I can't find any info on what cost effective fmic to run.. On top of that i have an 05 gt.. Heard horror stories about the coolant piping issue.. Not sure what to do. Modify to an 07+ coolant crossover? But then what kit do I buy.
Get the kit without the intercooler for $2200 less. There are companies that make intercooler kits for MUCH cheaper! I believe there is a air to air intercooler kit for around $500ish

If you buy the correct kit for your year the coolant lines shouldnt be an issue, it will come with what you need to convert it.

Another kit to consider would be the Department of Boost kit, it allows you to run a gt500 supercharger for around $3500ish if you are a savvy shopper
post #8 of 16 Old May 12th, 2015, 11:53 AM
MM Fanatic

Yea if its just for a quick dd then your better off doing what youre planning with the novi 1200 tuner kit. Plus Im sure you could pulley it and add meth later on down the road if you want to make more power.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #9 of 16 Old May 12th, 2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Thanks for the replies guys. Ill keep you posted.. Kylar the air to air fmic is the cxracing kit I mentioned above

Novi 1200
Fmic
Gt500 pumps
47# squirters
That's the plan here

Does anyone know if the gt500 pumps are plug and play or are there better modules out there?

Are stock fuel rails going to flow enough?
post #10 of 16 Old May 12th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. Ill keep you posted.. Kylar the air to air fmic is the cxracing kit I mentioned above

Novi 1200
Fmic
Gt500 pumps
47# squirters
That's the plan here

Does anyone know if the gt500 pumps are plug and play or are there better modules out there?

Are stock fuel rails going to flow enough?
The gt500 you need to buy the kit, or have a harness made for the dual fpdm's. the kit is about $700 unless you can find a used one.

I went with a modified walbro with upgraded wiring from s&h

the stock rails should work, but youll need adapters i believe if you going to use the 47's from a gt500. im using gt500 rails and injectors on my DOB setup.
post #11 of 16 Old May 15th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Regular

I recently installed the non cooled Paxton 1200 on my car. Modding the coolant hoses for the 05-06 was not bad. Your friends leak was probably from improperly installing the freeze plug or the connection under the intake.

I bought the Brenspeed kit and it included everything needed to install and run. The only thing I had to buy was a boost gauge and some coolant and PS fluid that was lost when draining to relocate the hoses and reservoir.

Go cooled. Any type. My IATs cruising are around 135 degrees. Gets up to 185-195 after a few hard pulls then goes back down pretty quick. But that's freaking hot. It's not my daily so I figured I'd be cheap and upgrade to intercooler later. I should've waited. Now I'm researching meth for a cheaper solution but in the end I'll probably go air to air.
post #12 of 16 Old May 16th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Regular

I have an intercooled NOVI 2200sl on mine, and I did NOT use a kit. I pieced it together and saved a lot of money. Every penny that I have in it is $5,004 to the dollar. That includes stall rental time, buying two different fuel pump setups (long story), two separate dyno sessions, all parts, EVERYTHING. Every part is arguably better than what comes in the kit, except maybe the intercooler itself since its the one on ebay, but it works remarkably well. CX Racing makes a no hassle intercooler kit for under $500. I built it so that the supporting mods will be able to get me to the 600+ WHP range with a stronger bottom end. The 2200s can get you close to the 1000 hp mark supposedly. Its a bitchin setup if I do say so myself. Got me to 432 WHP with stock manifolds, stock h-pipe, stock cams, stock everything except a muffler delete. Adding headers and x pipe alone will be good for 450+ at the wheels.

LONG STORY SHORT GET THE SUPERCHARGER

Corsa Sport Axlebacks Megan springs: 1.5" front 2" rear drop, Hurst short shifter, Paxton NOVI 2200SL Centrifugal SC, CX Racing intercooler kit, Tial Q BOV, HPX MAF/ housing, Ford Racing 47 lb Injectors, GT500 Dual Fuel pump, BMR LCA, SCT X4 Tuner
post #13 of 16 Old May 17th, 2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Regular

What you guys recommend for full fuel Delivery setup.. Probably gonna go with the tuner kit.
post #14 of 16 Old May 18th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Regular

The GT500 dual pump is probably the best way to go, but also the most expensive. Mine only got up to 40% on duty cycle in the data logging during dyno pulls so there is plenty of room for more power. Another plus is you cant hear the pump inside the cab. Also its a smoother line on the data log. A lot of people go with the cheaper option of the aeromotive stealth which sits in place of your old sending unit in your assembly, so effort is required. Same goes for Walbro and AEM units. Kenne Bell boost a pumps are fine too (and the easiest install option, but overwork the stock pump... reduced life span of your stock pump is possible). Word to the wise make sure the rubber feet that go on the bottom of your basket are still in place when the assembly goes back in or else your fuel pressure will drop during pulls because the strainer is getting smooshed against the bottom of the tank...i know this from experience. The vortech and paxton kits come with 39 lb injectors which will probably be plenty for your setup. I am running the 47# injectors so that I can make bigger power later. The stock lines can handle a lot of power, but replace your fuel filter if you haven't done so.

Corsa Sport Axlebacks Megan springs: 1.5" front 2" rear drop, Hurst short shifter, Paxton NOVI 2200SL Centrifugal SC, CX Racing intercooler kit, Tial Q BOV, HPX MAF/ housing, Ford Racing 47 lb Injectors, GT500 Dual Fuel pump, BMR LCA, SCT X4 Tuner
post #15 of 16 Old May 18th, 2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Regular

So 39 lb injectors and a bap are sufficient at the moment? 2-3 months down the road when I grab the air to air fmic I'll grab a new fuel pump if that's the case

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

After a quick search I can only find 47 lb injectors online for around 275.. I'll probably just run those if there aren't any apparent problems I might be missing
post #16 of 16 Old May 20th, 2015, 12:24 AM
Regular

Quote:
So 39 lb injectors and a bap are sufficient at the moment? 2-3 months down the road when I grab the air to air fmic I'll grab a new fuel pump if that's the case

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

After a quick search I can only find 47 lb injectors online for around 275.. I'll probably just run those if there aren't any apparent problems I might be missing
Yea the BAP allows the car to amplify voltage past the 18v upper limit to get more range from the pump. According to Kenne Bell the BAP is good up to 600hp on the stock pump and the 39# injectors are good for 550hp. The 47# injectors are definitely plenty for what you are going for. I have a pretty interesting publication that Kenne Bell put out about the research they have done. It backs up the BAP pretty well. PM me you email address and I'll send it to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page