I am having a huge panic attack HELP! - Page 3 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 60 Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:11 PM
better than clockWise

For $30 every so often, right or wrong, I don't care. I'm still using 6.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:39 PM
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
Yeah, and I swear I saw a flying pig today. :
I never said it ran worth a fuck.

Nor did I say there was zero sludge under the valve covers.

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
post #43 of 60 Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:53 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
I never said it ran worth a fuck.

Nor did I say there was zero sludge under the valve covers.
Well at least we can agree that running the engine on one or two quarts of oil is a VERY BAD IDEA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 60 Old June 3rd, 2015, 07:26 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Well at least we can agree that running the engine on one or two quarts of oil is a VERY BAD IDEA.
No way man! It's perfectly fine to run it on 2qt of oil, some dude on the interwebz told me!

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #45 of 60 Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:32 AM
Powered by LSx tears

Location: Where the rays of light shine through my Shiner Bock bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheBlue View Post
Is using water a bad thing to flush it out with? ? And no I'm not a moron I stated clearly the reason that ford uses 6 quarts is because extra capacity is needed in extreme conditions that is why high performance motors have larger oil pans. I also said it can run on 2 quarts under very low load and more than likely not have much damage if caught because the oil is still in the motor it just gets frothy. But I guess just disregard what I say because apparently I'm a moron ?
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
I'll toss that dude's salad

post #46 of 60 Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:38 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr confused View Post
No way man! It's perfectly fine to run it on 2qt of oil, some dude on the interwebz told me!
Yeah, probably the same guy who uses water to flush out the crankcase. :
post #47 of 60 Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:36 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
You're right, he said the wetter the better???

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #48 of 60 Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:53 PM
Regular

Quote:
Brake fluid works better

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr254/svtwin73/image_zpsc7776416.jpg
5.0 stroker, Roush 2300 w/3.2", 10% overcrank, Bullet-RGR spec cams, Kooks LT w/cats, FM axle back, TruTrac 3.73
post #49 of 60 Old June 4th, 2015, 12:23 AM
Enthusiast

Just so many good ideas on this website. How much does a quart of oil weigh and what time can I shave off the 1/4 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalDosage View Post
Something about your avatar creeps me the fuck out.
2006 GT AUTO Mods:
Ford Racing Intake Manifold, 93 TUNE, UDPs, FRPP 4.10, LT's, catted X, LCA, Adj UCA, 3K Converter and P275/40R17 MT, HR cams and Paxton 1200sl
post #50 of 60 Old June 4th, 2015, 04:35 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Just so many good ideas on this website. How much does a quart of oil weigh and what time can I shave off the 1/4 ?
Is that 1/4 of a mile or 1/4 of an inch? :

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
311rwhp 328rwtq with stage 1 bolt-ons
post #51 of 60 Old June 4th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Here's the way it works with the motor oil. The oil pump picks up oil from the bottom of the pan, through the pickup tube and screen, then into the pump. From there the oil goes into the crankshaft, through the crank main bearings and rod bearings. Oil is also pumped to the top of the heads to lube cam journal bearings, lash adjusters pump up, oil is dispersed along the top of the head lubricating rocker bearings and springs, etc. The timing chain tensioners and VCT system also get oil under pressure to operate. The oil also has to pass through the oil filter during this process.

Knowing all this remember...the oil drains back into the pan through the use of gravity. It follows small porous passages and makes it's way to the pan to be recirculated. Yes an engine could idle with only 2 qts in it, but I would never do that. The oil has a long way to go before it comes back to the pan and 2 qts is not enough to keep the oil pump from starving for oil especially if the engine begins to rev. You always want the oil pickup tube to be deep in oil, not pulling oil from an inch deep bath where it WILL begin to cavitate and pull air/oil mix.

Keep the oil level up!

JDM 302 Stroker, Whipple 10 rib 12 psi, L&M, JBA, J&M, LFP, Corsa, Stage II cams, Manley, MGW, McLeod RST, Eaton Posi, 3.73's, Metco, Steeda, Autometer, CDC, Street Scene, SOS, Tuned at JPC Racing by Kevin MacDonald....Other Mustang 2015 GT Premium
post #52 of 60 Old June 4th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony05GT View Post
Here's the way it works with the motor oil. The oil pump picks up oil from the bottom of the pan, through the pickup tube and screen, then into the pump. From there the oil goes into the crankshaft, through the crank main bearings and rod bearings. Oil is also pumped to the top of the heads to lube cam journal bearings, lash adjusters pump up, oil is dispersed along the top of the head lubricating rocker bearings and springs, etc. The timing chain tensioners and VCT system also get oil under pressure to operate. The oil also has to pass through the oil filter during this process.

Knowing all this remember...the oil drains back into the pan through the use of gravity. It follows small porous passages and makes it's way to the pan to be recirculated. Yes an engine could idle with only 2 qts in it, but I would never do that. The oil has a long way to go before it comes back to the pan and 2 qts is not enough to keep the oil pump from starving for oil especially if the engine begins to rev. You always want the oil pickup tube to be deep in oil, not pulling oil from an inch deep bath where it WILL begin to cavitate and pull air/oil mix.

Keep the oil level up!
Absolutely correct! I was just to lazy to type all that to correct the idiot who was puking incorrect info.

Thank you...lol
post #53 of 60 Old June 5th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Mechanical Engineer

Correct me if I'm wrong but, these motors will develop a valve tick when they don't have enough oil. Valve tick will be a slight to loud ticking sound that speeds up as your rpms increase. As long as you don't hear valve tick you probably haven't caused any problems. If you do get low enough that you aren't lubing your valves or cams, you will cause excessive wear and make your engine start to burn oil faster or eat your cam bearings. If you ignore that warning sign, you will destroy your engine (oil pump, rod bearings, rings, cylinder walls, etc.)

I always tell people to check their oil before an oil change. If you notice that you are low on oil, start doing periodic checks as appropriate. Maybe check after a couple days, then a week, then a few weeks then a couple months. Of course the frequency depends on how many miles you drive. An engine can start burning oil for many reasons but, as long as you keep oil in it (clean oil), they will usually run for a long time without failing. What ever frequency you decide to check your oil, make sure you increase it if you ever notice oil burn. It sucks to have to add a quart of oil every week but, I know some people in the past that have had to do it and their car/truck ran for years that way. If you drive a company truck, checking oil is often a daily requirement.

I mentioned clean oil, because going too long without an oil change (everyone argues how long is too long) can lead to oil excessive wear and oil burning or other problems.

My advice is to put oil in it until you are at the proper level and then to listen to see if you hear any strange sounds or other signs of problems. Continue to do regular oil checks before driving the car until you either figure out how often your car burns a quart of oil or if the tech only added 5 quarts to start from. The reason that everyone recommends that you learn how to take care of your car yourself is because there are so many incompetent techs out there that have no idea what they are doing. If you always rely on someone else, you are just rolling the dice.

2006 Mustang GT
Pacesetter Ceramic L/T's
Pacesetter H-pipe
FR hot rod cams
FR Intake manifold
FR500 exaust
Hurst Competition Plus Short throw.
JLT CAI

2002 F-150

Sold:
2001 Mustang GT (miss this one)
post #54 of 60 Old June 6th, 2015, 07:05 AM
Enthusiast

IM PUKING OUT WRONG INFO?!? HE JUST SAID EXACTLY WHAT I DID AND YOU AGREED ROFL
post #55 of 60 Old June 6th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
How did he say the same thing as you? You said it is perfectly fine to run the car on 2qt of oil.....you sir did in fact puke out wrong info. If you can't comprehend that, well that is not our fault.

post #56 of 60 Old June 6th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanielwilliam View Post
I always tell people to check their oil before an oil change.
One should always check the oil level immediately AFTER an oil change as well as before. That applies especially when someone other than yourself has performed it.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
311rwhp 328rwtq with stage 1 bolt-ons
post #57 of 60 Old June 10th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Regular

Quote:
You clearly are a special one arent you....
post #58 of 60 Old June 11th, 2015, 01:39 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylar View Post
You clearly are a special one arent you....
He could just be yanking our chain and pretending to be a dumbass.
post #59 of 60 Old June 16th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Mechanical Engineer

Quote:
He could just be yanking our chain and pretending to be a dumbass.
You guys please stop mudding up the threads. If you have something of value to say, state it. After that restrict your endless bickering to PMs. The name calling does not add anything to the thread and simply makes it difficult for people to find info in the threads in the future.

Obviously it is never a good idea to run a car with less than the recommended amount. A larger amount of oil will take longer to break down and will hold more contaminants than a lesser amount. The engine keeps an amount of oil from the oil pan flowing in the engine(I don't know the excact volume required). The remaining oil in the pan would have to be enough to keep the oil pick up submerged after taking into acount sloshing due to G-Forces and inclines the car may be at.

Without knowing the absolute minimum oil level to keep the oil pick up submerged, I'd say that it would be a pretty dumb idea to run the car with two quarts. Even then I wouldn't recommend running a car at the minimum. If we did know that figure, it would be useful information so we could say whether or not this guy's car was ever starved for oil. If someone has actual data on that rather than a guess then speak up.

2006 Mustang GT
Pacesetter Ceramic L/T's
Pacesetter H-pipe
FR hot rod cams
FR Intake manifold
FR500 exaust
Hurst Competition Plus Short throw.
JLT CAI

2002 F-150

Sold:
2001 Mustang GT (miss this one)
post #60 of 60 Old June 17th, 2015, 03:26 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanielwilliam View Post
You guys please stop mudding up the threads. If you have something of value to say, state it. After that restrict your endless bickering to PMs. The name calling does not add anything to the thread and simply makes it difficult for people to find info in the threads in the future.
Ay Ay captain!
The only person who can add anything of further value to this thread is the OP and since he hasn't left any feedback about his engine since May 28th, either his panic attack is over with his engine alive and well or it's completely toast and he's too upset to tell us so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page