Intermitten miss - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 Old June 1st, 2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Intermitten miss

The other day I did my spark plugs and all was well until I drove it saturday. It drove fine but I noticed it was running a little rough. After about 40 miles of driving, I noticed it was noticably rougher, there was a tick coming from near the tailpipes and theres a raw gas smell coming out of the exhaust. Ive already tried pulling each cop one by one to see if one would make no difference but they all made the motor run worse. Im guessing one of my injectors is sticking but I dont know how to check them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old June 1st, 2015, 09:48 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Pull any codes?

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #3 of 66 Old June 1st, 2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

No codes

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 Old June 1st, 2015, 10:00 PM
Insomniac

Garage
Make sure your spark plugs didnt back out and all your cops ares seated.

post #5 of 66 Old June 1st, 2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

I can mess with them tomorrow just to be sure and I think Ill pull one just to see what it looks like.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #6 of 66 Old June 2nd, 2015, 12:09 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Pull your plugs and check them. Doubt an injector went bad at the same time you did your plugs. One time at band camp, I had a plug with a cracked insulator around the electrode. When you held the plug up to examine it, everything looked fine. But when you turned it and put it in the head, the insulator slide down and covered the electrode. I pulled that plug 3 times before I caught it. And if plugs was all you did, 99% of the time it is the work you just performed that causes the problem. I would clean your MAF too for shits and giggles.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #7 of 66 Old June 2nd, 2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Thanks boss, I really didnt want to pull them but I have tomorrow off so Ill do it then. I even checked my injectors with my multimeter and they all checked out.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #8 of 66 Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtS197 View Post
Thanks boss, I really didnt want to pull them but I have tomorrow off so Ill do it then. I even checked my injectors with my multimeter and they all checked out.

It should only take you a few minutes to pull them. It's not like they're gonna break now.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #9 of 66 Old June 2nd, 2015, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
It should only take you a few minutes to pull them. It's not like they're gonna break now.

Im gonna pull them and check my cam sensors while Im out there. Now that I had time to think, Ive noticed the past couple of months when Id accelerate, the throttle would like "step" up instead of smoothly accelerate and I read that could be caused by cam sensors failing. Ill still pull my plugs to verify that theyre fine though but Im leaning towards cam sensors. I pulled each cop one by one and all of them would make it idle worse so I know that none of the plugs are missing.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #10 of 66 Old June 2nd, 2015, 05:15 PM

What gets me as sketchy is that all of the stuff you are looking at would normally throw a code or two. That is why I'm kinda trying to think a little outside the box. Bad sensors or solenoids would typically throw a code.

Check/clean your MAF and all of your intake couplings/connections. Those items won't throw a code.

post #11 of 66 Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
What gets me as sketchy is that all of the stuff you are looking at would normally throw a code or two. That is why I'm kinda trying to think a little outside the box. Bad sensors or solenoids would typically throw a code.

Check/clean your MAF and all of your intake couplings/connections. Those items won't throw a code.

And even though its running rough and might have a miss its still not throwing a code. I checked last night and it now has codes for when I unplugged the cop's but thats it. Ive seen where it wont throw a code for a bad cam sensor so its in the realm of possibility that theyve failed. Im definately also gonna clean the maf and pull my plugs tomorrow but Id also like to check these other parts before I go that extra step and pull the plugs. This car is my dd so I cant mess with it as much as Id like.

I appreciate you thinking outside the box for me, its giving me food for thought on what to check

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #12 of 66 Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:43 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Pull the plugs, won't take more than 5-10 minutes to pull all of them. Start there. Leave the battery unplugged for 20-30 minutes and go for a drive.

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #13 of 66 Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr confused View Post
Pull the plugs, won't take more than 5-10 minutes to pull all of them. Start there. Leave the battery unplugged for 20-30 minutes and go for a drive.
How you gonna go for a drive with the battery and plugs pulled?

post #14 of 66 Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:42 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
How you gonna go for a drive with the battery and plugs pulled?
Hello? Mcfly! :p

post #15 of 66 Old June 2nd, 2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Lol yea Ill do that. I see on my tuner now you can clear kam on it instead of having to unplug the battery for a while. I think Ill give that a shot

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #16 of 66 Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Ok I pulled the plugs and this is what I found
Intermitten miss-imageuploadedbyag-free1433352819.397435.jpg
Intermitten miss-imageuploadedbyag-free1433352832.753395.jpg

In case you cant see it well, the porcelain part of the plug is free to move and is covering the electrode. My guess is that all the plugs are defective so I called am and theyre gonna refund my money. I wish I wouldve just went with the brisks in the first place...

Anyway, Im gonna put the refund money towards brisk one piece plugs and not deal with the stock crap plugs.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #17 of 66 Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtS197 View Post
Ok I pulled the plugs and this is what I found
Attachment 152217
Attachment 152225

In case you cant see it well, the porcelain part of the plug is free to move and is covering the electrode. My guess is that all the plugs are defective so I called am and theyre gonna refund my money. I wish I wouldve just went with the brisks in the first place...

Anyway, Im gonna put the refund money towards brisk one piece plugs and not deal with the stock crap plugs.

Lol, I think somebody told that story earlier, post #6 . I think it happened at band camp or something like that.

post #18 of 66 Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:02 PM
Insomniac

Garage
Guess you found your miss lol

post #19 of 66 Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Lol, I think somebody told that story earlier, post #6 . I think it happened at band camp or something like that.

Lol mcfly over here. Ive heard of this happening before too but I thought I wouldnt get a bum set like that. How aweful is that, we cant even get a decent set of oem plugs for our cars.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGCHRISS197 View Post
Guess you found your miss lol

I cant believe it, well I can but really all of them were defective really. Thats terrible, Ill never buy a set of stock plugs again

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #20 of 66 Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:34 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Having 1 break can happen, having 8 break takes practice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page