Looking for recommendation on upgrading to a high performance brake - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old June 12th, 2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
Looking for recommendation on upgrading to a high performance brake

Long story short: I'm looking to purchase a new set of wheels/tires in the next few days. Some of the wheel choices I like don't support big brakes because of the caliper size limitations.

I'm not looking to purchase a new brake kit right now, but can anyone suggest / recommend some better-than-stock / performance brakes that are not "big brakes"?

If I can receive those suggestions from you this weekend, and purchase the wheels I really like, then I won't worry about not getting Brembo's in the future. I'm kinda on a time crunch as I have a road trip at the end of the month and don't want to run on the same Pirelli's I used during a Road Racing course (Driveway Austin) I took back in December. I know I burned some rubber back then but not extremely so that I had to replace them right away.

Thanks
Murphy

2008 GT Coupe Premium
Manual, C&L Racer Intake, 3.55 Axle, 18" polished aluminum wheels, M&M caster/camber plates, Koni Sport shocks/struts, Steeda Sport springs, UPR bump steer kit, Steeda X5 ball joints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old June 12th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Regular

Reybestos rotor blanks from streetside auto you cannot beat. 140$ for a set and a great cheap track setup. Good quality rotors. Then Carbotech brake pads. Stainless steel lines. Wilwood 620F brake fluid flush. You probably wont want a big brake kit once you do all of that.

WL Adj. Swaybars, WL Watts Link,
Bilstein Coilovers 440/175, JBA mufflers,
BMR U&L control arms w/ brackets,
19x9.5 et45's on 285's squared!
post #3 of 11 Old June 12th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Regular

Garage
I can highly recommend the Bear 14" EradiSpeed +2 Rotors. They are a 2 piece rotor and come with a heavy bracket which moves the stock caliper out to fit the larger rotor. I got these because I run on road courses and needed better brakes. They are good because you can still use 18" wheels where there is a better selection of tires. Most 15" rotors require 20" wheels, 19" tires are limited in selection and are higher in price. IMO a good wheel tire setup great for both street and occasional track use would be Enkei PF01 18/9.5/+35 and Nitto NT555s 275/40/18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old June 12th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Regular

I did the poor mans upgrade: 2011-2013 rotors and caliper brackets. The rotors are a little larger than the 2005-2010 rotors and use the same caliper. Since the rotors are larger you need the caliper brackets too. I found a set of take offs that were inexpensive.

For pads I use Stoptech street performance pads and have been very pleased with them.
post #5 of 11 Old June 12th, 2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
My original plan was to stay with 18" wheels but the selection of wheels is so small, so I've decided to go to 19". Still though, some of the wheels I'm looking at still don't fit big brakes and that's why I'm asking. Thanks for your input guys!

Murphy

2008 GT Coupe Premium
Manual, C&L Racer Intake, 3.55 Axle, 18" polished aluminum wheels, M&M caster/camber plates, Koni Sport shocks/struts, Steeda Sport springs, UPR bump steer kit, Steeda X5 ball joints.
post #6 of 11 Old June 13th, 2015, 12:09 AM
Regular

Garage
Check out AM for the 20x9 Shelby Razor wheel/Nitto555 255/35/20 combo it's a good price and they look great plus they will fit any BB upgrade out there. I have them on my Avitar if you can see them.
post #7 of 11 Old June 13th, 2015, 01:41 AM
Insomniac

Garage
18x10 sve drifts will clear any 4 piston brake upgrade and the 19x9.5 will clear most 6 piston brake upgrades. I bought my 18x10s with 4 piston brembos in mind.

post #8 of 11 Old June 13th, 2015, 04:16 AM
At the Apex pulling 1.28g

Send a message via Yahoo to Whiskey11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawagner View Post
I did the poor mans upgrade: 2011-2013 rotors and caliper brackets. The rotors are a little larger than the 2005-2010 rotors and use the same caliper. Since the rotors are larger you need the caliper brackets too. I found a set of take offs that were inexpensive.

For pads I use Stoptech street performance pads and have been very pleased with them.
This is probably the best upgrade you can do without screwing your wheel selection. It's a small but important upgrade if you are doing track days. The stock sized rotors are pretty pathetic.

Pad wise, Carbotech XP10 and XP8's would be a good set of pads to get you there and survive a track day. Some good fluid, good brake lines and probably some brake cooling ducts would help keep the stock calipers alive until you got the brake and wheel situation fully figured out.

Otherwise, 14" Brembo's have a large selection of wheels available that fit over them. SVE Drifts are cheap and relatively light weight for their size (my 18x10's weighed 24lbs which wasn't awful). They also clear the Brembos.

2015 Mustang GT/PP Autocross Build Thread:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-pp-build.html
post #9 of 11 Old June 13th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Regular

Wilwood 6-piston Superlites. AM sells them

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr254/svtwin73/image_zpsc7776416.jpg
5.0 stroker, Roush 2300 w/3.2", 10% overcrank, Bullet-RGR spec cams, Kooks LT w/cats, FM axle back, TruTrac 3.73
post #10 of 11 Old June 13th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Regular

reybestos sells the 11-14 gt rotors too. streetside sells them for the same price as the normal rotors. Even the boss 302 rotors are only 40$ each.

WL Adj. Swaybars, WL Watts Link,
Bilstein Coilovers 440/175, JBA mufflers,
BMR U&L control arms w/ brackets,
19x9.5 et45's on 285's squared!
post #11 of 11 Old June 22nd, 2015, 05:57 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by condore View Post
I can highly recommend the Bear 14" EradiSpeed +2 Rotors. They are a 2 piece rotor and come with a heavy bracket which moves the stock caliper out to fit the larger rotor. I got these because I run on road courses and needed better brakes. They are good because you can still use 18" wheels where there is a better selection of tires. Most 15" rotors require 20" wheels, 19" tires are limited in selection and are higher in price. IMO a good wheel tire setup great for both street and occasional track use would be Enkei PF01 18/9.5/+35 and Nitto NT555s 275/40/18.
Since Bear 14" fits 18" Enkei, is it safe to assume they would fit 18" Forgestar F14? Also whats your experience with rotor life? with track use/abuse how long do they last?

"Engineering. Where the noble semiskilled laborers execute the vision of those who think and dream. Hello, Oompa-Loompas of science."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page