spark plug horror stories - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 Old October 29th, 2015, 07:59 PM
I love to skydive

It's a 9/16.

I broke 5 of mine. Only 1 was actually difficult to get out as the barrel broke. But the lisle tool helps everything. It's really not that bad.

MM is awful. Don't ever come here if you haven't been sucked in already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 Old November 8th, 2015, 09:49 PM

I broke 2 even after soaking with brake fluid. 1st one porcelain came out intact, just had to get the shell out, used an easy out. 2nd one PITA, watched video on how the lisle tool worked, (didn't have one), tapped the electrode/porcelain down, ran a 3/8 tap into the top of the shell, long piece of all-thread into the shell and a deep well socket created my own puller. I got it out but it took a few hours to figure out. Saved myself the cost of the tool and the wait.
post #23 of 34 Old November 9th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Regular

Garage
I personally didn't have any issues. My engine has 165,xxx miles and these looked like original plugs possible they were the second set.

I sprayed in some PB blast and let it sit for a few minutes then used an air ratchet. Not a single one broke.

Stand your ground, find the strength within and battle on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 Old November 9th, 2015, 09:45 AM
RAT FINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Stang View Post
The noise is horrifying the first time you take these plugs out. That was the part I hated the most.
Haha, yeah, the noise is definitely unnerving. I had one that I swear was making crunching noises when I first started turning it out but it all came out intact.

The driver's side rearmost one screeched and scraped and made all kinds of godawful noises but also came out intact.

PB Blaster and/or some kind of carb cleaner or seafoam is your friend on this job. I mostly used PB Blaster and it immediately dissolves any carbon buildup that it touches.

2005 Mustang GT
CMS Stage 1 cams, Lito Tune, C&L Racer, CMDP, SR UDP, JBA LT's & catted H, FRPP Touring AB, Koni STR.T, BMR springs, J&M upper/mount, BMR lowers & brackets, J&M pb, Steeda Tri-Ax, Brembos
2009 Ranger XL SCab-4.0, auto, 4WD
post #25 of 34 Old November 9th, 2015, 10:52 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Maybe I'm old and cars don't need it these days but I pull my plugs at least once a year if not 2 or 3 times. I check the condition, clean them up and check the gap. The one byproduct of doing this preventive maintenance will make it so spark plug breakage is never an issue.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #26 of 34 Old November 9th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durr4456 View Post
It's a 9/16.

I broke 5 of mine. Only 1 was actually difficult to get out as the barrel broke. But the lisle tool helps everything. It's really not that bad.
Man.. this is scaring me. I am putting in colder plugs next week.
post #27 of 34 Old November 9th, 2015, 12:08 PM
I love to skydive

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwabbit703 View Post

I didn't do the tsb or anything. I just went at em cold turkey haha.

post #28 of 34 Old November 9th, 2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwabbit703 View Post
You only hear about the horror stories. You never hear about all the thousands of times they have been changed without any issues. I mean I know it is a known issue that can rear it's head at any moment, but if you don;t hear about all the successful plug changes your view is going to get a little skewed. Just prepared for the worse and go at it. Being scared aint going to help a thing.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #29 of 34 Old November 9th, 2015, 03:49 PM
RAT FINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durr4456 View Post
I didn't do the tsb or anything. I just went at em cold turkey haha.
That's probably why 5 of them broke.

If you warm up the engine beforehand they are easier to break loose, then you can start soaking them to start dissolving some of that carbon buildup.

2005 Mustang GT
CMS Stage 1 cams, Lito Tune, C&L Racer, CMDP, SR UDP, JBA LT's & catted H, FRPP Touring AB, Koni STR.T, BMR springs, J&M upper/mount, BMR lowers & brackets, J&M pb, Steeda Tri-Ax, Brembos
2009 Ranger XL SCab-4.0, auto, 4WD
post #30 of 34 Old November 9th, 2015, 06:06 PM
I love to skydive

Never said it wasn't. But I couldn't run the engine, so I didn't have a huge choice.

And the tsb was more work lol. It worked out fine for me.

post #31 of 34 Old November 10th, 2015, 06:29 AM
Regular

Thanks for sharing....haven't done this yet. But I only have about 27K miles...

post #32 of 34 Old November 10th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Regular

Like Boss said, it doesn't happen to us "old school". I lost count of how many times i have taken the plugs out cleaned them/replaced them with new ones, and never broke one. Is called maintenance.
post #33 of 34 Old November 10th, 2015, 12:36 PM

And not that I would ever suggest doing this, but I heard of one guy who unplugged his injectors, cranked the engine with the starter and shot the broken plug barrel right out of the head. I thought it was ingenious and stupid at the same time.

post #34 of 34 Old November 10th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
And not that I would ever suggest doing this, but I heard of one guy who unplugged his injectors, cranked the engine with the starter and shot the broken plug barrel right out of the head. I thought it was ingenious and stupid at the same time.

Just go nice and slow, keep working them back and forth as suggested by a few others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page