Strut Tower Brace video - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Whiskey11

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old September 27th, 2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
Strut Tower Brace video

I think it's pretty good video how STB works. Some may think it's for looks but some may disagree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old September 27th, 2015, 06:50 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

We all know how they work, it is about determing if you need one or not. For some cars they are a must, others not. So it's not whether they work or not, it's whether or not your car needs one.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #3 of 12 Old September 27th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Insomniac

Garage
Good video here, the Macpherson applies to us.
https://youtu.be/-S6H7ZdzBfE

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
We all know how they work, it is about determing if you need one or not. For some cars they are a must, others not. So it's not whether they work or not, it's whether or not your car needs one.
My butt dyno noticed the difference in mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old September 27th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

When I added mine I "thought" I could tell a difference. When I had to remove it for the FRPP mani, I can feel absolutely no difference. I'm not road coursing my car, so maybe that would make an actual difference.

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #5 of 12 Old September 28th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Blood, Sweat and Gears...

Cool video's, thanks.

Black 2008 Mustang Bullitt, ID#2029
Hot Rod Cams, twin 62mm TB.
Barton shifter, 4.10's & 8.8" AxleGirdle, 3.5" CF, DS.
Kook's LT/H-Pipe, Corsa Black Xtremes
Steeda UDP/CMDP/LCA/Adjustable UCA.
BBR tuned 340rwhp/335rwtq
post #6 of 12 Old September 28th, 2015, 12:07 PM

It might make a difference, but nothing like the difference FLSFC will make.

2000 Mustang GT vert - Gone
2002 Mustang GT coupe - Sold on 12/20/17
2007 BMW 335i
1994 BMW 328i - Foxbody 5.0 Swap
post #7 of 12 Old September 28th, 2015, 12:12 PM
At the Apex pulling 1.28g

Send a message via Yahoo to Whiskey11
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwabbit703 View Post
I think it's pretty good video how STB works. Some may think it's for looks but some may disagree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpMpi10F7rg
What a waste of an animation. It doesn't really show you anything and I suspect a large portion of the reason for that is because the words aren't in English.

Here are the "facts" about a 2 point strut bar.

1.) If your strut towers are flexible, at all, to move under cornering then a 2 point bar is going to move the towers in the same direction. It will NOT keep one from moving and not the other. Think of a cardboard box with both ends open laying on it side. How easy is it to push the cardboard box over? That is all you are doing with a 2 point brace. If one tower moves, they both move in the same direction which doesn't improve stiffness at all.

2.) The only direction a 2 point brace will keep the towers from moving at all in is braking and acceleration of which only braking produces enough force on the towers to possibly move them.

3.) By tying the two towers together with a 2 point brace you may change the chassis's resonance frequency and reduce some NVH like cowl shake. Which is 99% the reason why Ford put them on the S197 chassis and is 99% of what people "notice" when they put one on.

Reality is, for any performance enhancement, a 2 point brace will only lighten your wallet, bling up the engine bay, and add weight to the nose of your car. If you want a REAL advantage in stiffening up the chassis, you will need to triangulate that 2 point brace to a point on the chassis that is out of plane with the motion of the strut towers... say... the firewall. Guess what, the 2015 Mustangs did EXACTLY that! By tying into the firewall you now reduce the deflection of the towers substantially.

Also, the S197 chass's rigidity is such that a 2 point brace isn't doing much at all. You might see some slightly better numbers on a flexible chassis like the SN95's and Foxes but I doubt highly it is enough to improve handling or substantially increase rigidity. A three point brace definitely decreases tower deflection (if there is any at all).

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgst View Post
It might make a difference, but nothing like the difference FLSFC will make.
FLSFC's on the S197 chassis? Why? I can jack up three wheels on this car from one jacking point and the marginal increase in rigidity from SFC's is so tiny the only use for them is as a jacking rail.
oooo2stang likes this.

2015 Mustang GT/PP Autocross Build Thread:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-pp-build.html
post #8 of 12 Old September 28th, 2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey11 View Post

FLSFC's on the S197 chassis? Why? I can jack up three wheels on this car from one jacking point and the marginal increase in rigidity from SFC's is so tiny the only use for them is as a jacking rail.
haha, my bad, I thought this was the 99-04 forum

2000 Mustang GT vert - Gone
2002 Mustang GT coupe - Sold on 12/20/17
2007 BMW 335i
1994 BMW 328i - Foxbody 5.0 Swap
post #9 of 12 Old September 28th, 2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
What a waste of an animation. It doesn't really show you anything and I suspect a large portion of the reason for that is because the words aren't in English.

1.) If your strut towers are flexible, at all, to move under cornering then a 2 point bar is going to move the towers in the same direction. It will NOT keep one from moving and not the other. Think of a cardboard box with both ends open laying on it side. How easy is it to push the cardboard box over? That is all you are doing with a 2 point brace. If one tower moves, they both move in the same direction which doesn't improve stiffness at all.

2.) The only direction a 2 point brace will keep the towers from moving at all in is braking and acceleration of which only braking produces enough force on the towers to possibly move them.

3.) By tying the two towers together with a 2 point brace you may change the chassis's resonance frequency and reduce some NVH like cowl shake. Which is 99% the reason why Ford put them on the S197 chassis and is 99% of what people "notice" when they put one on.

Reality is, for any performance enhancement, a 2 point brace will only lighten your wallet, bling up the engine bay, and add weight to the nose of your car. If you want a REAL advantage in stiffening up the chassis, you will need to triangulate that 2 point brace to a point on the chassis that is out of plane with the motion of the strut towers... say... the firewall. Guess what, the 2015 Mustangs did EXACTLY that! By tying into the firewall you now reduce the deflection of the towers substantially.

Also, the S197 chass's rigidity is such that a 2 point brace isn't doing much at all. You might see some slightly better numbers on a flexible chassis like the SN95's and Foxes but I doubt highly it is enough to improve handling or substantially increase rigidity. A three point brace definitely decreases tower deflection (if there is any at all).

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Yeah, but they look cool!

I don't think I noticed much if anything with the thing on or off. I don't dive my car into corners either though, I don't even have a front sway bar.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #10 of 12 Old September 28th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Insomniac

Garage
The difference i noticed was input from the tires, theyre more predictable. At the time i had an unbalanced tire on the passenger side so it lightly vibrated around 60 mph. After the STB the vibration could be felt substantially more in the steering. This went along with most other things in the road, you could feel the road more so to speak.

post #11 of 12 Old September 28th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Regular

Quote:

Thanks for posting that, now I don't have to.
post #12 of 12 Old October 2nd, 2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr confused View Post
When I added mine I "thought" I could tell a difference. When I had to remove it for the FRPP mani, I can feel absolutely no difference. I'm not road coursing my car, so maybe that would make an actual difference.
I just installed mine and went for a drive and I can immediately tell the stiffness on the steering and better cornering. For my car, I had to get it from roushperformance because AM did not carry on that will fit over M90. Same one that is installed on 427 Trak Pak.

It's looks pretty good for visual purpose as well. But I think it's way over priced at $340.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12036930_10208227105574439_95484914452441196_n.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	166458  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page