Starting issues - Never experienced intermittent stuff like this - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old October 12th, 2015, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Backbone

Starting issues - Never experienced intermittent stuff like this

Typically, when I've had a dead battery, its just plain, well... dead. It takes a jump to get the car to start.

Today, and for the first time, my car wouldn't start. Its an 09, 42000 miles, Manual. Its always been serviced regularly by the dealer and always had a clean bill of health. Mods are minimal, FRPP CAI, Jegs O/R H, Stingers, Bamatuner. I checked the codes, got a slow o2 code, and a OBD on board diagnostics could not complete (or something like that) p1000 code.

The car sat for a week while I was in the field training. I have let it sit for a week at a time with ZERO issues multiple times. Its garaged.

Today, it would start. Did the typical dead battery thing. Interior lights dimmed, starter clicked rapidly, no turnover. Then i would retry. I checked the dome lights, they werent left on. I tried to restart the car. One turnover, two...then dead again.
Try again.. one, two threeturnovers....slowly, then faster until the car fires up. No battery light, gauge shows good voltage. All is well. I pull out of the driveway, drive to the barber shop. No issues. Car runs great.

I get done with a haircut, turn the car on, and same issue.

Slow start, wont turnover, then after several tries... she fires up. EVen knowing its a FI car...i pump the gas...

So like i said...a dead battery usually means no starting and the attempts to start the car or turn the starter usually get worse ending with a completely dead car that wont even click. This works in reverse order.

Oh....and when it does this, the radio resets...another thing that points to a loss in power.

Before i go running around replacing batteries and stuff....any other ideas?

-T

2009 Colorado Red Mustang GT
FRPP Stingers, FRPP 85mm CAI, FRPP 3.73s, FRPP K-Springs, FRPP/GT500 upper strut mounts, Shelby Adjustable Panhard Bar, Tokico Str.t, Shelby CS40, GT/CS Front and Rear Bumpers, GT500 Spoiler, Jegs O/R H, fuzzy dice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old October 12th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Insomniac

Garage
Test your battery at each interval. Off. Starting. Running. That will answer a few questions. When my optima was on its way out it experienced a slow death similar to what youre describing.

post #3 of 8 Old October 12th, 2015, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Backbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGCHRISS197 View Post
Test your battery at each interval. Off. Starting. Running. That will answer a few questions. When my optima was on its way out it experienced a slow death similar to what youre describing.

Will do. I am pretty sure its the batt, but when reading on this common issues no one has been able to ID the real cause.

This is an OE battery as well, not optima. Doubt that matters, but should be worth mentioning.

FRPP Stingers, FRPP 85mm CAI, FRPP 3.73s, FRPP K-Springs, FRPP/GT500 upper strut mounts, Shelby Adjustable Panhard Bar, Tokico Str.t, Shelby CS40, GT/CS Front and Rear Bumpers, GT500 Spoiler, Jegs O/R H, fuzzy dice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old October 12th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Insomniac

Garage
Im suprised you got that much time out of the factory battery.

post #5 of 8 Old October 12th, 2015, 03:58 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT T View Post
Typically, when I've had a dead battery, its just plain, well... dead. It takes a jump to get the car to start.

Today, and for the first time, my car wouldn't start. Its an 09, 42000 miles, Manual. Its always been serviced regularly by the dealer and always had a clean bill of health. Mods are minimal, FRPP CAI, Jegs O/R H, Stingers, Bamatuner. I checked the codes, got a slow o2 code, and a OBD on board diagnostics could not complete (or something like that) p1000 code.

The car sat for a week while I was in the field training. I have let it sit for a week at a time with ZERO issues multiple times. Its garaged.

Today, it would start. Did the typical dead battery thing. Interior lights dimmed, starter clicked rapidly, no turnover. Then i would retry. I checked the dome lights, they werent left on. I tried to restart the car. One turnover, two...then dead again.
Try again.. one, two threeturnovers....slowly, then faster until the car fires up. No battery light, gauge shows good voltage. All is well. I pull out of the driveway, drive to the barber shop. No issues. Car runs great.

I get done with a haircut, turn the car on, and same issue.

Slow start, wont turnover, then after several tries... she fires up. EVen knowing its a FI car...i pump the gas...

So like i said...a dead battery usually means no starting and the attempts to start the car or turn the starter usually get worse ending with a completely dead car that wont even click. This works in reverse order.

Oh....and when it does this, the radio resets...another thing that points to a loss in power.

Before i go running around replacing batteries and stuff....any other ideas?

-T
Sounds like your typical dead battery to me.

Quote:
Will do. I am pretty sure its the batt, but when reading on this common issues no one has been able to ID the real cause.

This is an OE battery as well, not optima. Doubt that matters, but should be worth mentioning.
What issue, having a dead battery? It happens, they just wear out. The more you cycle a battery and the heat it operates in makes them go bad quickly. Replacing it should be the solution.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #6 of 8 Old October 12th, 2015, 04:23 PM
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
Sounds like a dead cell in the battery. Replace it.
post #7 of 8 Old November 12th, 2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Backbone

Sorry I took so long to reply. I practically live in the field.

It was a dead cell. There's no way to diagnose it that I can tell other than recognizing the symptoms. I replaced it.

Now its good to go. Hope this helps people in the future.

post #8 of 8 Old November 12th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Sorry I took so long to reply. I practically live in the field.

It was a dead cell. There's no way to diagnose it that I can tell other than recognizing the symptoms. I replaced it.

Now its good to go. Hope this helps people in the future.
I was going to say I had what you described happen to me once before on my old '96 Camry. I replaced battery but still had same issues, ended up being a bad ground cable.
Glad you found the issue.

Stand your ground, find the strength within and battle on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page