Aftermarket Stereo Suggestions? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old October 13th, 2015, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Aftermarket Stereo Suggestions?

Hey guys and gals. I own a 2005 V6 Mustang, and I never use the radio, but always use CDs. I'm getting tired of making "mix CDs", so I'm looking into an after market head unit, but I have some criteria it must meet, and I was wondering if you guys can help me out?

It must:
  • Not be flashy or colorful (looks like it could have been there from the factory)
  • Ideally fit the entire space the original head unit took up (again, factory looking)
  • At least have a single CD player
  • Aux cable input
  • Around $200
  • Works with stock equipment/speakers (plug and play, and I have a base four speaker system)

I'm really looking for something that "looks" right, but again is around $200 and has an aux input (which everything does these days anyway).

If you guys know of anything, please let me know! I found some interesting things online, but I wanted to hear from the people who actually own our cars.

Thanks!

Last edited by SilverStallion05; October 13th, 2015 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old October 13th, 2015, 12:59 PM
MM Fanatic

Do you have the base stereo system or a shaker500?

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv90/b5hobsons4/2006%20Mustang%20GT/10da490b-40e7-4152-a493-50c169a655b1_zpsed967b1f.jpg
Mac Long Tubes | O/R Prochamber | Bassani Race Axlebacks | Hurst | Bama 93 | 4.10's | K Springs | Koni's
post #3 of 17 Old October 13th, 2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo2stang View Post
Do you have the base stereo system or a shaker500?
Good point. I updated it. It's the base four speaker system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old October 15th, 2015, 09:57 AM
MM Fanatic

Sorry no one has bumped this with any good info. I don't know much about audio. I don't know how different the base stereo is from the Shaker500 in my 06, but the previous owner had an aux cable installed on my shaker500 and I've been using it for over 4 years without an issue. I don't even know if the base system has an aux option. May be something to look into. It's not flashy or anything, but it's cheap and does exactly what I want it to; play my phone over the radio through the jack.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv90/b5hobsons4/2006%20Mustang%20GT/10da490b-40e7-4152-a493-50c169a655b1_zpsed967b1f.jpg
Mac Long Tubes | O/R Prochamber | Bassani Race Axlebacks | Hurst | Bama 93 | 4.10's | K Springs | Koni's
post #5 of 17 Old October 15th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStallion05 View Post
Hey guys and gals. I own a 2005 V6 Mustang, and I never use the radio, but always use CDs. I'm getting tired of making "mix CDs", so I'm looking into an after market head unit, but I have some criteria it must meet, and I was wondering if you guys can help me out?

It must:
  • Not be flashy or colorful (looks like it could have been there from the factory)
  • Ideally fit the entire space the original head unit took up (again, factory looking)
  • At least have a single CD player
  • Aux cable input
  • Around $200
  • Works with stock equipment/speakers (plug and play, and I have a base four speaker system)

I'm really looking for something that "looks" right, but again is around $200 and has an aux input (which everything does these days anyway).

If you guys know of anything, please let me know! I found some interesting things online, but I wanted to hear from the people who actually own our cars.

Thanks!
Since it is crutchfield all the install accessories you need will come free if you click add to cart when it prompts you. The dash kit, wiring accessories, antenna all of it will be free if you buy the radio through them.

Okay this one looks stockish enough and should work for you, but I have never used it.
Blaupunkt New Jersey 220 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

This one I have installed three of in friends various cars and have not had a complaint yet. You can set the color to stay stationary if you like and it is not that outlandish looking but not my personal taste.
Pioneer FH-X720BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

This one is what I have in my car. My only complaint with it is the brightness. Even on dim at night it is way too bright. Other than that all the features work great and I have had no issues with its function mating into my shaker 500 door subs, blue tooth, and such.
JVC Mirror Link - KW-NSX1
post #6 of 17 Old October 15th, 2015, 08:40 PM
FBGM

There are kits to just add an AUX input to your factory radio for under $100 if you want to go that route.

Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica wheels, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
post #7 of 17 Old October 15th, 2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo2stang View Post
I don't even know if the base system has an aux option. May be something to look into. It's not flashy or anything, but it's cheap and does exactly what I want it to; play my phone over the radio through the jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1622 View Post
There are kits to just add an AUX input to your factory radio for under $100 if you want to go that route.
The stock system does not have an aux input until later in the generation. And NO WAY am I spending money for an aux cable when I can get something completely new for about double. I could also build one cheaper if I wanted to, so long as i can find that connector somewhere.

I am an audio guy by profession, but not car audio (audio for movies, videos games, live, and stuff like that). In terms of car audio, I don't really know what's out there. However, NO aux cable to a stock piece that isn't worth much. Lol.

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Stang View Post
Since it is crutchfield all the install accessories you need will come free if you click add to cart when it prompts you. The dash kit, wiring accessories, antenna all of it will be free if you buy the radio through them.

Okay this one looks stockish enough and should work for you, but I have never used it.
Blaupunkt New Jersey 220 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

This one I have installed three of in friends various cars and have not had a complaint yet. You can set the color to stay stationary if you like and it is not that outlandish looking but not my personal taste.
Pioneer FH-X720BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

This one is what I have in my car. My only complaint with it is the brightness. Even on dim at night it is way too bright. Other than that all the features work great and I have had no issues with its function mating into my shaker 500 door subs, blue tooth, and such.
JVC Mirror Link - KW-NSX1
Thanks for the suggestions! Someone else suggested the Pioneer one, but the style doesn't do it for me. The New Jersey one LOOKS the best so far. The JVC one isn't too bad either. I am very picky, as I am sure most of you are as well, with what goes into my car. Haha.

EDIT: However... The more I look around, the more I realize the Pioneer one isn't THAT bad looking, and relatively "cheap".
post #8 of 17 Old October 15th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

The pioneer is what I bought to put in my girlfriend's Honda even. It fits in there though better than it would in a mustang. Good unit though for sure. The New Jersey one is probably the most stock looking you will find and it looks like it would fit in fine. I went with a touch model setup for adding the backup camera and ease of phone apps though.

I got the Pioneer one for like 110 from Amazon, but crutchfield didn't give her dash kit for free since it was such a big piece. They do give it for free for the Mustang. They did when I bought my setup.
post #9 of 17 Old October 16th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Regular

check out the Raxiom unit. Raxiom OE-Style Mustang GPS Navigation w/ Bluetooth & Back-up Camera 102186 (05-09 All) - Free Shipping.

I'm not sure how good it is, but it is supposed to be built to look like a stocker radio.

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6
2007 GT 4.6
1997 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4
Magnuson SC, Eibach's, Foose Wheels, Nitto 555's, Corsa Axelback, Raxiom Seq Tails, Cowl Hood
post #10 of 17 Old October 16th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast

I have the Pioneer too which I bought for cheap on Amazon. It does have all types of light color options which can probably be turned off. The only thing I dislike is that simple bass/treble controls seem to be a thing of the past. All the EQ adjustments are buried and are a PITA to adjust, especially if you're driving.

post #11 of 17 Old October 17th, 2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer9999 View Post
check out the Raxiom unit.
Under $200...
post #12 of 17 Old October 18th, 2015, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Since a few people have mentioned the Pioneer one, I might end up going with that. Can any of you post some pictures of how they look in your car?
post #13 of 17 Old October 21st, 2015, 05:15 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStallion05 View Post
Since a few people have mentioned the Pioneer one, I might end up going with that. Can any of you post some pictures of how they look in your car?
I don't have any pictures of them installed in a mustang. My girl's car is at the collision center until Oct 31st or I would get some of it in her Honda.
post #14 of 17 Old October 27th, 2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Stang View Post
I don't have any pictures of them installed in a mustang. My girl's car is at the collision center until Oct 31st or I would get some of it in her Honda.
I'd much rather see it in a Mustang rather than in the "H" word car.
post #15 of 17 Old October 27th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Regular

Garage
I would also recommend using crutchfield. I've used them for years, good prices and amazing customer service.

Stand your ground, find the strength within and battle on.
post #16 of 17 Old October 27th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Turbo > blower

Gonna add another recommendation for crutch field

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
post #17 of 17 Old October 30th, 2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Way back when I was looking for speakers, Crutchfield showed up quite a bit. When I do get one, I'll probably use them, especially since so many people like them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page