Koni Orange's or ST Suspension Shock/Struts - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old November 5th, 2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Koni Orange's or ST Suspension Shock/Struts

So after going through all the stuff for my steering wheel shake at 75-80mph. 07Boss suggested I look into my struts being changed out since I have exhausted a lot of other areas. Car is an 07GT and has just under 89k miles on original shocks/struts. It see's 99% street use so I don't need to go adjustable's or anything like coilover's.

I am looking at the Koni Orange's, which I have read a lot of reviews on, and the ST Suspension shocks/struts. Car will be getting Ford Racing P-springs along with them.

Anyone have experience with the ST stuff? I don't mind waiting until the Koni sale goes on again, if ST is not worth it, since it is off DD duty now and will see maybe 20 miles a week until Spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old November 6th, 2015, 12:12 AM
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
After having run with a set of Ford Racings progressive rate springs, given they were a K spring and not the P, the ride was pretty harsh for something that was supposed to allow a comfort ride with some handling added.

After about three years of dealing with that and the popping and wore out J&M camber plates I went with the following parts and part numbers from BMR. The ride was phenomenal. I went again with Koni STR.T and loved the ride, the difference from the BMR handling springs and the FRPP K springs was night and day. The BMR springs had a much better ride and were more predictable when getting aggressive.

Quote:
Part # Product Price Qty Total
SP065 2005 - 2014 Mustang GT Lowering springs, set of 4, 1.5" drop, handling, GT
$259.95

KON-M0510-OR 2005 - 2010 Mustang GT Koni Shocks, Front 8750-1030, Rear 8250-1008, Set of 4
$439.60

M-18183-C 2005 - 2014 Mustang GT GT500 Upper Strut Mounts, Pair
$109.95
post #3 of 17 Old November 6th, 2015, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination S197 View Post
After having run with a set of Ford Racings progressive rate springs, given they were a K spring and not the P, the ride was pretty harsh for something that was supposed to allow a comfort ride with some handling added.

After about three years of dealing with that and the popping and wore out J&M camber plates I went with the following parts and part numbers from BMR. The ride was phenomenal. I went again with Koni STR.T and loved the ride, the difference from the BMR handling springs and the FRPP K springs was night and day. The BMR springs had a much better ride and were more predictable when getting aggressive.
So the J&M camber plates are a no go? That is what I was planning to order for the strut mounts.

I guess since no one is chiming in with ST reviews I will stick with the Koni orange's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old November 6th, 2015, 11:59 AM
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Stang View Post
So the J&M camber plates are a no go? That is what I was planning to order for the strut mounts.

I guess since no one is chiming in with ST reviews I will stick with the Koni orange's.
My J&M plates failed within the first year, made a horrible noise over bumps and I couldn't keep them tight to the strut.
post #5 of 17 Old November 6th, 2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Okay. So the Gt500 mounts will be fine even with them having no adjustment for a DD? I wouldn't be opposed to buying the MM plates if they were worth the price.
post #6 of 17 Old November 6th, 2015, 12:30 PM
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
Quote:
Okay. So the Gt500 mounts will be fine even with them having no adjustment for a DD? I wouldn't be opposed to buying the MM plates if they were worth the price.
I don't have experience with the MM plates but even without adjustment I still had about -1 to -1.2 degrees of camber in the front which is about where I wanted it.
post #7 of 17 Old November 6th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Konis are the way to go IMO.They perform well for street cars and you can't get better than a lifetime warranty. As far as I know, ST doesn't offer a warranty like that.

The GT500 mounts will also work with the P springs, you shouldn't need any camber adjustment with such a mild drop. If it's not in spec, just rotate the mounts 180* and that should bring it in.
post #8 of 17 Old November 6th, 2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Tech View Post
Konis are the way to go IMO.They perform well for street cars and you can't get better than a lifetime warranty. As far as I know, ST doesn't offer a warranty like that.

The GT500 mounts will also work with the P springs, you shouldn't need any camber adjustment with such a mild drop. If it's not in spec, just rotate the mounts 180* and that should bring it in.
If the Ford Racing Springs are more harsh then I will be going with y'alls that are listed above. The half inch lower drop I will live with if they are a nicer riding spring. I take a few non paved roads when I drive the car and don't want to add a lot of harshness with the Ford Racing springs.
post #9 of 17 Old November 6th, 2015, 01:01 PM
RAT FINK

I'm probably going to buy a set of Koni STR.T's this winter. My factory stuff has almost 90K on it and I think I have a bad strut mount anyway so I'm just gonna swap it all out.

2005 Mustang GT
CMS Stage 1 cams, Lito Tune, C&L Racer, CMDP, SR UDP, JBA LT's & catted H, FRPP Touring AB, Koni STR.T, BMR springs, J&M upper/mount, BMR lowers & brackets, J&M pb, Steeda Tri-Ax, Brembos
2009 Ranger XL SCab-4.0, auto, 4WD
post #10 of 17 Old November 6th, 2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
I'm probably going to buy a set of Koni STR.T's this winter. My factory stuff has almost 90K on it and I think I have a bad strut mount anyway so I'm just gonna swap it all out.
I feel ya on the mileage. I've managed not to mod this thing since I bought it new and be a responsible adult. Now that it is off of DD duty, and my house down payment is already set aside, I am gonna splurge on it a little bit and install over the Winter or Spring once I get it all bought.
post #11 of 17 Old November 6th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

The SP009s are definitely a better riding spring than the Ford Racing P-springs. Our springs are a good bit softer compared to the P-springs and they're linear. On really bumpy roads, those P-springs are going to stiffen up quite a bit.
post #12 of 17 Old November 6th, 2015, 05:37 PM
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Tech View Post
The SP009s are definitely a better riding spring than the Ford Racing P-springs. Our springs are a good bit softer compared to the P-springs and they're linear. On really bumpy roads, those P-springs are going to stiffen up quite a bit.
I can vouch for for the way the progressive rate springs ride over bumpy terrain, not good.
post #13 of 17 Old November 6th, 2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

That sells me on the BMR one's for sure. This state has enough bad roads even when they are paved. The last thing I want is to be annoyed driving the car.
post #14 of 17 Old November 7th, 2015, 10:47 PM
RAT FINK

If the ride is that good I might pick up some BMR springs myself. I have the P springs and I agree, the ride is pretty crappy.

2005 Mustang GT
CMS Stage 1 cams, Lito Tune, C&L Racer, CMDP, SR UDP, JBA LT's & catted H, FRPP Touring AB, Koni STR.T, BMR springs, J&M upper/mount, BMR lowers & brackets, J&M pb, Steeda Tri-Ax, Brembos
2009 Ranger XL SCab-4.0, auto, 4WD
post #15 of 17 Old November 8th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
So after going through all the stuff for my steering wheel shake at 75-80mph. 07Boss suggested I look into my struts being changed out since I have exhausted a lot of other areas. Car is an 07GT and has just under 89k miles on original shocks/struts. It see's 99% street use so I don't need to go adjustable's or anything like coilover's.

I am looking at the Koni Orange's, which I have read a lot of reviews on, and the ST Suspension shocks/struts. Car will be getting Ford Racing P-springs along with them.

Anyone have experience with the ST stuff? I don't mind waiting until the Koni sale goes on again, if ST is not worth it, since it is off DD duty now and will see maybe 20 miles a week until Spring.
I would have them checked before replacing them. If there are no visible leaks or other apparent defects I would have them tested on a shock dyno to see if they are within spec. I suggested it as we are running out of options diagnosing your issue. Just swapping them out is a reach in the dark. And can be expensive if that's not the issue.

Anyways, I have a set of used Bilsteins sitting in the garage. I kinda promised to sell them to this guy at the track but I won't see him until first weekend in December. But I might be persuaded to sell them if you are interested.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #16 of 17 Old November 11th, 2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
I would have them checked before replacing them. If there are no visible leaks or other apparent defects I would have them tested on a shock dyno to see if they are within spec. I suggested it as we are running out of options diagnosing your issue. Just swapping them out is a reach in the dark. And can be expensive if that's not the issue.

Anyways, I have a set of used Bilsteins sitting in the garage. I kinda promised to sell them to this guy at the track but I won't see him until first weekend in December. But I might be persuaded to sell them if you are interested.
I didn't update this week but I replaced the struts with a friends used set he found he still had after he lowered his car, and replaced the bad tire at the same time. Problem is gone now. I assume you were right with the struts since rotating the tires didn't help before changing those.

I will pass on the Bilstein's since my Christmas gift from the girlfriend is the Koni struts and shocks. I really appreciate it though. Since the car is off of daily duty I am gonna make it a nice little cruiser and finally be able to enjoy it on weekends after daily driving a Honda Fit.
post #17 of 17 Old November 12th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Backbone

Chiming in here a little late. I run the STR.Ts with K-Springs, and have no complaints about the ride. A little expectation management goes a long way. I think if youre prepared for some ride stiffness then you wont be disappointed. If you want a really comfortable ride then lowering the car will always bring some frustrations from time to time.

I used the gt500 mounts. I dont have any noises or suspension issues. I think it rides great and handles great.

I still have some body roll, but I attribute it to needing some better sway bars, a STB, and some better control arms/control arm brace.

2009 Colorado Red Mustang GT
FRPP Stingers, FRPP 85mm CAI, FRPP 3.73s, FRPP K-Springs, FRPP/GT500 upper strut mounts, Shelby Adjustable Panhard Bar, Tokico Str.t, Shelby CS40, GT/CS Front and Rear Bumpers, GT500 Spoiler, Jegs O/R H, fuzzy dice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page