Horrible Vibration Issue from Driveshaft Possibly? - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bullitt95

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old December 21st, 2015, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Horrible Vibration Issue from Driveshaft Possibly?

Started tonight when I took off and started driving home. Horrible vibration, comparable to driving the car on rumble strips. The whole car shakes, feel it under the seat, shifter, all the plastic interior goes crazy, etc. Best I could isolate on the drive home was 25-30 mph, every single time in that range, no matter if accelerating, decelerating, in gear, or neutral. Seemed like it did it again also at a higher speed range but I couldn't find it on the roads to home. Will be trying to do that tomorrow.

Regardless, any ideas? The driveshaft was removed back about 2 years ago or so when I had to change my transmission and clutch. I honestly can't remember if I did in fact index the driveshaft and mark the position or not but it has been two years and it just started if that's the case. I don't think that I've ran over anything in the road to put a dent in the shaft and get it out of balance. I'll be getting under it in the morning.

It's an 08 GT with just basic bolt ons. Shifter, CAI, long tubes, o/r h pipe, etc. 60,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old December 21st, 2015, 10:45 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

I'm assuming stock drive shaft? You didn't find anything loose under there?

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #3 of 8 Old December 21st, 2015, 12:26 PM
Blood, Sweat and Gears...

Center bearing going bad?

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

I had vibration issue for about 4 years until I picked up a old Hot Rod magazine that had an article about there 2006 Mustang that had the same problems as me. They went down the same path as me, Balanced the one piece aluminum driveshaft, adjusted the pinion angle, new tires. No help, vibration at 82 mph that was so bad that my rearview mirror had a fuzzy view, plastic dash wash going crazy.
What they found was that my drive shaft was balanced at 100 rpm. They bought a "DriveShaft Shop" drive shaft that is balanced at 6000 rpm, that was the fix.
My one piece drive shaft created harmonics at a certain rpm combined with my removal of soft bushings "shifter, LCA's, UCA", the vibration would run up and down the body of my stang.
I was so happy to get rid of my vibration after 4 years with my New driveshaft.

Black 2008 Mustang Bullitt, ID#2029
Hot Rod Cams, twin 62mm TB.
Barton shifter, 4.10's & 8.8" AxleGirdle, 3.5" CF, DS.
Kook's LT/H-Pipe, Corsa Black Xtremes
Steeda UDP/CMDP/LCA/Adjustable UCA.
BBR tuned 340rwhp/335rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old December 21st, 2015, 02:25 PM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colestang_GT View Post
Started tonight when I took off and started driving home. Horrible vibration, comparable to driving the car on rumble strips. The whole car shakes, feel it under the seat, shifter, all the plastic interior goes crazy, etc. Best I could isolate on the drive home was 25-30 mph, every single time in that range, no matter if accelerating, decelerating, in gear, or neutral. Seemed like it did it again also at a higher speed range but I couldn't find it on the roads to home.
With a vibration at such a low road speed, I'd say it's more likely there's an issue with one of your wheels. You might want to inspect the tires carefully for any bulges, uneven wear, and make sure they have equal tire pressure. If the tires are OK, have the wheels checked for balance. It's possible one of the weights could have fallen off.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #5 of 8 Old December 21st, 2015, 06:33 PM
Regular

Go get rear tires Road Force balanced.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr254/svtwin73/image_zpsc7776416.jpg
5.0 stroker, Roush 2300 w/3.2", 10% overcrank, Bullet-RGR spec cams, Kooks LT w/cats, FM axle back, TruTrac 3.73
post #6 of 8 Old December 22nd, 2015, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Well as soon as I crawled under her immediately I looked at the problem... There was only ONE bolt holding the u-joint to the tranny flange, and it was pretty loose. The only other bolt on it was only hanging by about 3 threads. Two of the four bolts were completely missing. Guarantee that when I changed the tranny a couple years ago I didn't put threadlock on the bolts before I put them in, thats the only thing I can think of.

Didn't have much time at all today other than run to the dealer and get 4 new bolts and put them in and had to go to a dinner with family right after. Gonna be looking at a bunch of other things to make sure that the bad vibrations didn't jar anything else loose as a result.
post #7 of 8 Old December 22nd, 2015, 12:47 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colestang_GT View Post
Didn't have much time at all today other than run to the dealer and get 4 new bolts and put them in
At least you won't forget to put Loctite on the bolts this time!
Colestang_GT likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old December 22nd, 2015, 12:06 PM
Blood, Sweat and Gears...

Good find!

Black 2008 Mustang Bullitt, ID#2029
Hot Rod Cams, twin 62mm TB.
Barton shifter, 4.10's & 8.8" AxleGirdle, 3.5" CF, DS.
Kook's LT/H-Pipe, Corsa Black Xtremes
Steeda UDP/CMDP/LCA/Adjustable UCA.
BBR tuned 340rwhp/335rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page