Stalling problems ??? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old January 6th, 2016, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Stalling problems ???

I have on 06 mustang gt auto tranny, stock except for C & I cold air and a tune, over last year would stall at red light or coasting to red light, and would have to restart maybe 2 or 3 times and then would be fine for months. Now it is doing it just about everytime I use the car once or twice a day. Tried cleaning MAF sensor, no good, I'm thinking it's that but would like any other suggestions before I buy a new Ford one. Thanks, Paul

2002 MUSTANG GT

Last edited by pauls02; May 30th, 2017 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old January 7th, 2016, 01:00 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Does it do this under certain driving conditions or just randomly? Does it tend to happen after you come off the freeway after a decently long cruise/constant throttle position type scenario?

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #3 of 11 Old January 7th, 2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Regular

just happens under normal around town slow speed driving, had it out today for a short time today, no problems, and may go all day no problems, but is doing it much more as time goes on, at least every other day, all around town

2002 MUSTANG GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old January 7th, 2016, 03:07 PM

Well the earlier S197's had some issues with cavitation at the fuel pump which is the first thing that popped into my head since you seemed to take the normal steps of cleaning the MAF. Have you cleaned your TB from all the gunk that gathers on it?

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #5 of 11 Old January 7th, 2016, 03:15 PM
00blkvert

Who tuned the car? My last tune sometimes would want to stall randomly ny new tune/tuner no issues. Talk to him and maybe send him a log also.
post #6 of 11 Old January 8th, 2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Regular

I will try cleaning throttle body, never been done since new even though only 35K miles on it, custom tune was done by C & I, part of the cold air package, somehow I don't think its the tune, stalling occurred some time after I installed. Thanks so far. Paul

2002 MUSTANG GT
post #7 of 11 Old January 8th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Resident Headbanger

I'd say it's 99.9% certain that your stalling problem is being caused by a dirty throttle body so clean it thoroughly.
It's very sensitive to dirt accumulation between the throttle blades and the bores due to the TB not having an idle air bypass. The problem becomes more apparent if you have an aftermarket tune that sharpens the throttle response, so you'll need to clean the TB at least as frequently as each engine oil change.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #8 of 11 Old January 8th, 2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Smile

That's my chore for tomorrow bought the cleaner today, hope it works will let u know, thanks

2002 MUSTANG GT
post #9 of 11 Old January 9th, 2016, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Cleaned throttle body today and found rings of oily slimy dirt in both inlets, really needed a cleaning and drove car all day no problems with stalling and idled a little faster and was more responsive. Thanks for the help !!!!

2002 MUSTANG GT
post #10 of 11 Old January 9th, 2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls02 View Post
Cleaned throttle body today and found rings of oily slimy dirt in both inlets, really needed a cleaning and drove car all day no problems with stalling and idled a little faster and was more responsive. Thanks for the help !!!!
Hopefully that was the issue and it doesn't rear it's ugly head again. This is the time where you might want to delete your PCV system or at least get a catch can in there to try an alleviate the gunk issue in your intake track. I bet your manifold and charge motion plates are covered with the same oily mess.

post #11 of 11 Old January 9th, 2016, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Regular

I only drive car winter months in FL so about 3K miles per year, but will keep close eye on cleaning throttle body

2002 MUSTANG GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page