upper control arms and pinion angle - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old February 25th, 2016, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

upper control arms and pinion angle

does anyone have an aftermarket UCA. i was thinking about buying a bmr fixed upper but they say you need their mount or you will get a lot of noise. is anyone running an aftermarket UCA with the factory mount? also can i adjust for pinion angle with an adjustable lower control arm if i have a fixed upper control arm.

06 Mustang GT
cams and some other junk
Instagram: @jstacammed3v

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
....If a word doesn't exist, make one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old February 25th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Adjustable upper, fixed lowers seems to be a better combo. Easier to set 1 adjustment as apposed to 2 and getting them perfect. Also, you will want an aftermarket upper. Once you see how flimsy the stock one is, you will be glad you did.

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #3 of 22 Old February 25th, 2016, 07:34 AM
RAT FINK

With an aftermarket upper you have to either use somebody's aftermarket mount, or use anti-clunk bushings. For some brilliant reason Ford made the bolt and sleeve in the UCA smaller than the holes in the mount, so the bolt moves around and poly bushings make it clunk a lot.

2005 Mustang GT
CMS Stage 1 cams, Lito Tune, C&L Racer, CMDP, SR UDP, JBA LT's & catted H, FRPP Touring AB, Koni STR.T, BMR springs, J&M upper/mount, BMR lowers & brackets, J&M pb, Steeda Tri-Ax, Brembos
2009 Ranger XL SCab-4.0, auto, 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old February 25th, 2016, 11:47 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
With an aftermarket upper you have to either use somebody's aftermarket mount, or use anti-clunk bushings. For some brilliant reason Ford made the bolt and sleeve in the UCA smaller than the holes in the mount, so the bolt moves around and poly bushings make it clunk a lot.

Well in their defense it was designed and works well with a rubber bushing. It's when we switch to harder less flexible bushings that it has issues. So really it's our fault it clunks.

Anyways, ran a BMR adjustable with and without their mount and it pretty much is a must in my book. Look into getting one generation later than our cars for the arm and mount. It is little longer and can only help with handling.

Fixed lowers is the way most go unless you're road racing or your thrust angle is off from the factory. It is kinda harder to reach the single upper arm to make adjustments but it is probably better than having to make two adjustments if you had lowers.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #5 of 22 Old February 25th, 2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

sounds good thank you for the info i was looking to save some money but as usual that never works out haha

06 Mustang GT
cams and some other junk

Quote:
post #6 of 22 Old February 25th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

not to thread jack but does anyone have a good link on setting pinion angle
post #7 of 22 Old February 25th, 2016, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

maybe this will help you

06 Mustang GT
cams and some other junk

Quote:
post #8 of 22 Old February 25th, 2016, 02:41 PM
RAT FINK

Shop around, you might be able to find a good deal on a mount...I found a guy selling the upper and mount together, new and uninstalled when I got mine, although mine is a non-adjustable one. But I've seen a bunch of them on ebay.

2005 Mustang GT
CMS Stage 1 cams, Lito Tune, C&L Racer, CMDP, SR UDP, JBA LT's & catted H, FRPP Touring AB, Koni STR.T, BMR springs, J&M upper/mount, BMR lowers & brackets, J&M pb, Steeda Tri-Ax, Brembos
post #9 of 22 Old February 25th, 2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

so what is the preferred suspension brand of everyone here?

06 Mustang GT
cams and some other junk

Quote:
post #10 of 22 Old February 25th, 2016, 05:18 PM
RAT FINK

I guess I don't have a preference, whatever I can find the best deal on.

I do like the bushings that J&M uses in their control arms and they usually have pretty good pricing. I had Spohn lowers that the bushings were shot on (my fault- didn't grease them often enough), just replaced them with BMR lowers because I couldn't pass up the $90 price tag.

2005 Mustang GT
post #11 of 22 Old February 25th, 2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

i see that boss runs all BMR how do you like that boss?

06 Mustang GT
cams and some other junk

Quote:
post #12 of 22 Old February 25th, 2016, 06:32 PM

I don't think I would be as happy running anyone else's stuff. BMR is of the highest quality and their customer support is extraordinary. Kelly is their Mustang guy and I've spent many a phone conversation talking about set ups and what is going to work best for my application. I wouldn't go with anyone else. There are other great companies out there making great parts, but I've had nothing but success with them.

And if you call Kelly he can explain why it would be better to go with the later model UCA over the one made for our cars.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #13 of 22 Old February 25th, 2016, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

thanks boss again maybe i will give him a call. by later model are you talking 11-14? is it because of the length?

06 Mustang GT
cams and some other junk

Quote:
post #14 of 22 Old February 26th, 2016, 06:19 PM
Regular

I've got a Steeda adjustable UCA with the stock mount and used the spacers that come with to fill the OEM mount hole.
post #15 of 22 Old February 26th, 2016, 06:46 PM
Authorized Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
I don't think I would be as happy running anyone else's stuff. BMR is of the highest quality and their customer support is extraordinary. Kelly is their Mustang guy and I've spent many a phone conversation talking about set ups and what is going to work best for my application. I wouldn't go with anyone else. There are other great companies out there making great parts, but I've had nothing but success with them.

And if you call Kelly he can explain why it would be better to go with the later model UCA over the one made for our cars.
Thanks for the kind words about Kelly and BMR. I'm glad to hear how much you enjoy our parts. Just a heads up, I'm the new sheriff in town and Kelly is handling all of our S550 stuff, while I've taken over S197. So if anyone has any S197 questions, feel free to contact me directly.

OP, I think that an adjustable upper and fixed lowers are the way to go. It's much easier to adjust one arm instead of two, and if you don't adjust the lowers properly, you can throw off your wheel base and thrust angle. For example, if you go too short or too long on both arms trying to hit your desired pinion angle, the wheel base will be off. If you adjust one side more than the other, you may throw your thrust angle off and have issues with the car not wanting to track straight.

While the mount isn't required, it's not a bad idea. The OEM arm has teeth built into the sleeve to allow it to bite into the factory mount. This prevents the arm from moving around in the mount. The factory arm just deflects, it doesn't rotate like an aftermarket arm. Our sleeves are smooth, so the smaller OEM bolt and lack of teeth allows the arm to move around in the mount.

The 11-14 arms are also a better design than the 05-10. They come with larger, stronger hardware, and the arm is longer. The longer arm results in less axle movement during suspension travel because the arc is less dramatic. The mount was also changed to compensate for the longer arm. Upgrading to the 11-14 spec arm is really easy and requires no extra work, just an extra $4 bolt from Ford. I did this on my 08 with our monster bearing upper control arm.

If you have any questions, feel free to call or email me!
post #16 of 22 Old February 27th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Regular

One quick note: if you decide to get an after market poly/rod end UCA, that will be a good time to change the axle side bushing for UCA from rubber to poly too. If your dynamic angles change easily because of stock rubber bushing, that somewhat defeats the purpose.

"Engineering. Where the noble semiskilled laborers execute the vision of those who think and dream. Hello, Oompa-Loompas of science."
post #17 of 22 Old February 27th, 2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalendu123 View Post
One quick note: if you decide to get an after market poly/rod end UCA, that will be a good time to change the axle side bushing for UCA from rubber to poly too. If your dynamic angles change easily because of stock rubber bushing, that somewhat defeats the purpose.
Yep, mine was shot when I went to replace the mount. My axle was out of the car though and it made it uber easy.

post #18 of 22 Old February 29th, 2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

thank you for all of the info guys i will be getting in touch with Dylan and i will also be replacing my axle bushing while im at it

06 Mustang GT
cams and some other junk

Quote:
post #19 of 22 Old March 8th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

Morning everyone, gopalendu123/07 BOSS when you referred to replacing your axle bushing, did you replace with OEM or did you get one from BMR? I am about to replace my driveshaft & stock upper control arm also.

Thanks...

[COLOR="DarkRed"]
4.6L MMR Stroker,Whipple 2.3 HO w/10-rib drive, COMP Cams,60# Inj,GT500 T/B,FRPP Radiator,Pypes Headers,X-pipe,Stingers,TCI Trans & converter,DSS driveshaft,3.73 Gears,FRPP Struts/Springs,BMR Suspen,Roush LCA,Brembo Brakes
post #20 of 22 Old March 8th, 2016, 12:17 PM

BMR. There are others out there. The BMR one reuses the OEM bushing sleeve so you have to drill out the old rubber bushing. Pretty easy but I had the axle out of the car. I'm not sure of the difficulty level with it in the car.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l-bushing.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page