Anyone use the Auto Meter Triple Gauge Dash Pod? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old March 1st, 2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
Anyone use the Auto Meter Triple Gauge Dash Pod?

I bought this dash pod and last night I was going to get started running wires and whatnot, I did a test fit of the pod and the fitment is pretty terrible. The sides of the pod aren't flush at all with the dash, and it takes me pushing down on the pod pretty hard to squish it flat.

The way it's held onto the dash seems like it wont last at all (one strip of 3M tape, just on the front), and the tabs that "lock" it into the defroster vent just loosely sit in the vent slots.

So my question is, to any of you that have this dash pod, did yours fit right off the bat or did you have to work with it, trim it, and fabricate a better mount for it?

I figure its possible I got a bad one, so I could just return it and get a new one, but wanted to hear what others experience has been with it.

Roush, FFRP, BMR, Steeda, Brembo, DSS, Kooks, MMD, Flowmaster, Nitto, SHR, Cervinis, SVE, McLeod... All the good shit. See my Garage for complete mod list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old March 1st, 2016, 10:18 PM
Regular

Use some adhesive promoter on the tape area when you install and it won't go anywhere.
post #3 of 11 Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:45 AM
FBGM

You could just go down to any auto parts store and get 3M tape. That stuff is used on exterior body panels all the time in the OEM World. As long as you prep the surface right its never coming off. I would Put it all the way around not just one strip.

Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica wheels, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old March 3rd, 2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
I trimmed a little of the sides (where I could see it was contacting the dash and preventing the rest of the side to be flush with the dash) and got it to fit much better, need to sand a little more to make it perfect. Turns out that's the easy part. Trying to run all the wires through the dash defroster vent is a PITA, not hard, just annoying. The plugs on either end of the harnesses wont fit through the defroster vent slots, so I'll have to cut them off and re-solder them on.

Roush, FFRP, BMR, Steeda, Brembo, DSS, Kooks, MMD, Flowmaster, Nitto, SHR, Cervinis, SVE, McLeod... All the good shit. See my Garage for complete mod list.
post #5 of 11 Old March 3rd, 2016, 11:21 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Mine still doesn't fit very well but I haven't messed with it that much. I did shim the front a bit with some washers to try and even out the gap but that didn;t work so well. I am going to one day spend the time to shape it correctly but have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

I didn't run my wires through the vents. I drilled a hole right through the top of the dash up near the front. Had to use a 90* on the drill. Made the hole just big enough to fit the connectors through.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #6 of 11 Old March 3rd, 2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
Boss, I was thinking about doing the same thing... Drill it. looks good man! I'd like to get mine where it has no gap, but it may not be possible without a lot of patience (which I do not have). The last of my gauges are being delivered today, so my weekend project is gonna be to hook up them up. I tried routing the wires for the Boost and dual Widebands last night (through the defroster), got a little impatient and put a giant scratch in the tint of my windshield. So I accomplished negative work, since now I have to retint the damn thing.

Also, when are you going to update that sig pic of yours? Your car looks a lot different now dude!

post #7 of 11 Old March 3rd, 2016, 08:20 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Yeah i figured it would take a lot of work and patience to get that pod just right. I don;t notice it that much so it's not really an issue for me. One day.

I know, been too busy to get some really nice pics.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #8 of 11 Old March 3rd, 2016, 09:24 PM
FBGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSEOD View Post
I trimmed a little of the sides (where I could see it was contacting the dash and preventing the rest of the side to be flush with the dash) and got it to fit much better, need to sand a little more to make it perfect. Turns out that's the easy part. Trying to run all the wires through the dash defroster vent is a PITA, not hard, just annoying. The plugs on either end of the harnesses wont fit through the defroster vent slots, so I'll have to cut them off and re-solder them on.
Just make sure you do a little research on the gauges your using before you cut them. I made that mistake with an LCD gauge I was using. Cut it soldered all the wires correctly but it didn't work anymore.

Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica wheels, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
post #9 of 11 Old March 3rd, 2016, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
I think I'm gonna cut the dash, two of the gauges going in are wide bands, and I don't want the O2 sensors to read incorrectly because of an impedience issue on account of a splice.
post #10 of 11 Old March 4th, 2016, 09:29 PM
Regular

Mine turned out pretty good. I glued the front holding bar down and put the two faced red 3M tape at the back. It's not completely flush with the dash, but very close.https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...1&d=1457144762
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140118_085747.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	178106  
post #11 of 11 Old March 8th, 2016, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
It does look good. I shaved the edges of mine a little, tried to even it out where the sides weren't flush, didn't get it perfect but its pretty close.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page