Comp cams whistle/whine sound? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old May 19th, 2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Comp cams whistle/whine sound?

So I have an 08 GT before the cams the engine mods I had were LT headers, an Airaid CAI, Moroso air/oil separator, MSD spark plugs, and MSD coil packs. The car has always run great with no issues and I never heard any strange noises after installing any of those parts. I recently installed Comp's Mutha Thumpr cams and their phaser limiter kit and refreshed the computer with a Bama tune. It runs just fine I followed the break in procedure and haven't pushed the car too hard yet. It just makes a whistle sound almost like a turbo after the engine hits 2000 rpms and higher. I have a stock throttle body and intake with the charge motion plates still installed. I keep hearing different things like its the throttle body, or the charge motion valves, or its just because more air is being sucked in. But not everyone says they have had this happen. Does anyone know anything about this?

2008 GT- JBA LT headers, JBA O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers cat-back, Comp Mutha Thumpr cams, Moroso air/oil separator, Airaid CAI, MSD Coil packs, FR 4.10 gears, FR Cobra LSD, Moser axles, Steeda finned diff cover, Hurst billet short shifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 19th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Regular

You sure it's not your CAI? When I put my Comp Cam Stage 2s in, the CAI got louder.

2014 GHIG Mustang GT
post #3 of 9 Old May 19th, 2016, 05:28 PM
MM Fanatic

Do you have the maf insert in the intake tube still? If you can, have someone slowly rev it while youre under the hood listening for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old May 19th, 2016, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yea the MAF is connected and I did have someone rev it up while I listened for it and the CAI does makes a little more noise than it used to but its not the source of the louder whistle sound. From what I can hear it sounds like its coming from the back passenger side of the engine bay or underneath.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

The CAI is louder but that sounds more like a hissing and its not loud enough to hear it from the drivers seat. I am trying to get in contact with Comp but they have had me on a call back list for 2 hours now

2008 GT- JBA LT headers, JBA O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers cat-back, Comp Mutha Thumpr cams, Moroso air/oil separator, Airaid CAI, MSD Coil packs, FR 4.10 gears, FR Cobra LSD, Moser axles, Steeda finned diff cover, Hurst billet short shifter.
post #5 of 9 Old May 19th, 2016, 06:53 PM
MM Fanatic

Im referring to the insert on the inside of the intake tube so you dont need a tune because it keeps the maf housing the same size. It sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
post #6 of 9 Old May 25th, 2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I took the insert out years ago after i bought a tuner, I dont think its a vacuum leak the brakes work good and its not a hissing sound more of a whine. The runs just fine though I could test the vacuum just to rule it out.

post #7 of 9 Old May 25th, 2016, 07:55 PM
MM Fanatic

A vacuum test would be good, it can detect a multitude of problems.
post #8 of 9 Old May 26th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Regular

Send a message via AIM to blk08gt
I had the same exact sound when I did my Detroit Rocker cams, which are made by Comp Cams, I actually called Brenspeed and they said they have heard a handful of people mention the noise you described but did not have a fix or reason for it. It usually happens on cars that have done CMDP's with cams. Had mine on for a few years now and no problems.
post #9 of 9 Old June 6th, 2016, 01:49 AM
Regular

Lots of vacuum in these engines and sometimes the dipstick hole will whistle due to tight fit and tolerance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page