Problem with overheating - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old July 30th, 2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Send a message via AIM to mustangmallory
Problem with overheating

Hey everyone, I'm sure this has been addressed millions of times and I tried the search, but amazingly enough nothing came up. I have a 06 boosted gt that I blew up and rebuilt a while back. It overheated the day I got it back, but wen the longest and never overheated again. Now I'm 3 years into build and overheating seems to be a problem I can't get rid of.

It's a 4.6 bored .20 with Kellogg crank and Manley rods and pistons, heads are ported, stage 3 comp turbo cams, and 80mm precision turbo. I just recently installed a Mishimoto radiator and thermostat. The water pump isn't leaking and so far no mixture in the coolant. Good compression too. I keep getting told the head gaskets are good.

Drove the car to work about 30 mins away from my house about 3 weeks ago and ran fine there. Keep in mind South Carolina is hitting record highs lately. Driving home was a whole different story. I had to pull over every mile or so, just to baby it home. Drove the car today for the first time today since, fired right up, despite a spark plug problem I've been having. That's a whole different story. Anyways, I let it idle for about 10mins to warm up. At this point the gauge was only reading quarter of the way. I live in the country, so I have nice long roads I can cruise around. Drove for about 10 miles before it came up to just under halfway. I did one or two hard pulls and it was holding steady. I pulled over to check the car for leaks or anything, just something I do all the time. Get back in to go and the gauge begins creeping up. It goes up anytime I begin accelerating, but stops when I let out of the gas. Coasting down the road it doesn't cool down though. NEver let it overheat to the point that it's going topop the radiator cap. I pull over and shut it down. Running idle it will stay up, won't cool, but won't get hotter. I have burp the system as well.

Any suggestions?

All Black Dash Member #1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old July 30th, 2017, 06:47 PM
MM Fanatic

Idk what is involved with the mishimoto radiator, but did you have to remove any shrouds or modify them for the turbo install?

I'm not sure what fan setup we have on these cars, but my wife''s old car had a 2 fan setup.. Once it reached a certain temp, the auxiliary fan kicked on to help maintain temp. Took me awhile to figure it out, but the connector to the fan was bad and would work intermittently.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv90/b5hobsons4/2006%20Mustang%20GT/10da490b-40e7-4152-a493-50c169a655b1_zpsed967b1f.jpg
Mac Long Tubes | O/R Prochamber | Bassani Race Axlebacks | Hurst | Bama 93 | 4.10's | K Springs | Koni's
post #3 of 7 Old July 31st, 2017, 08:50 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmallory View Post
Get back in to go and the gauge begins creeping up. It goes up anytime I begin accelerating, but stops when I let out of the gas. Coasting down the road it doesn't cool down though. NEver let it overheat to the point that it's going top op the radiator cap. I pull over and shut it down. Running idle it will stay up, won't cool, but won't get hotter. I have burp the system as well.

Any suggestions?
Lean air/fuel mixture or too much timing advance due to an improper tune perhaps?

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
311rwhp 328rwtq with stage 1 bolt-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old July 31st, 2017, 09:36 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

For shits and giggles pull out the thermostat and see if she gets hot. Start simple and rule that out of the equation. Are your fans coming on? One of the best cooling mods I think anyone can do is to is install a Meziere pump in there. I run a whipple daily in 100+ temps with the AC running constantly. My gauge never has ever even gotten to halfway but once and I drive her like she's stolen. Stock radiator and I think 180* or 170* thermostat, whatever came with my SC kit.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #5 of 7 Old August 2nd, 2017, 02:20 AM
Resident Headbanger

Agree with the possibility that the low speed fan may not be switching on. Check the wiring connector, relay, and fuse if it isn't.
You mentioned that you burped the cooling system but there may still be a pocket of air trapped inside.
post #6 of 7 Old August 6th, 2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Send a message via AIM to mustangmallory
Running a single 19 inch fan and it runs constantly. Mishimoto thermostat is brand new, but I could try running without it.

All Black Dash Member #1
post #7 of 7 Old August 7th, 2017, 02:21 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmallory View Post
Mishimoto thermostat is brand new, but I could try running without it.
It's worth a try. A new thermostat can sometimes be faulty right out of the box, so I always test it before installing to ensure that it opens fully at the correct temperature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page