Dash Shaking!! Help - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old October 17th, 2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Dash Shaking!! MYSTERY SOLVED!!

Up until today, my car would go up to 120mph Before the Carbon fiber hood would start shaking.
I haven't been in a major hurry to get it straightened out because I don't do 120 a lot.
So today a friend and I changed the idler pulley the supercharger pulley and put a Steeda cold air intake on my 2008 4.6 L Stage 3 Roush.
I bought the kit from Brenspeed.
Everything came off and everything went on fine no problems.
After I loaded the tune, started it up everything ran fine looks fine etc.
I get it out on the road after it's warmed up I bring it up to 90 miles an hour my whole dash mainly the top starts shaking like crazy!! Every single time, it starts very mildly a little over 80 by the time you hit 90 it's shaking really good and the faster you go the faster it shakes, vibrates like crazy.
My friend left before I thought to have him rev the car while I looked at the motor and the pulleys. but I never thought it could possibly be the new pulleys because just looking at them at an idle they're spinning fine and true.
The steering wheel feels fine, and I have not hit any potholes or anything since the other day of going 120 miles an hour and everything is fine except for the hood.
Anybody else ever have this problem?

UPDATE, The cause of the dash vibration was caused by a loose chin spoiler, quite interesting to me at least how things can transfer through a car from one spot to another.

Last edited by Supp22; October 25th, 2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Wrong title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old October 17th, 2017, 11:25 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

That's your car telling you it doesn't want to go that fast.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #3 of 6 Old October 18th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
That's your car telling you it doesn't want to go that fast.
Yeah OK. If you're gonna have a car that you can't drive over 90mph, you might as well trade in the Stang and buy a Smart(ass).
If the pulleys were out of true, you'd feel some vibration from the engine at idle. Could the CAI heatshield be fouling on the hood and not allowing it to close properly?

If you want a 2.3 Ecoboost, get the Focus RS.
If you want a Mustang, get the V8.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
311rwhp 328rwtq with stage 1 bolt-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old October 18th, 2017, 11:50 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
Yeah OK. If you're gonna have a car that you can't drive over 90mph, you might as well trade in the Stang and buy a Smart(ass).
If the pulleys were out of true, you'd feel some vibration from the engine at idle. Could the CAI heatshield be fouling on the hood and not allowing it to close properly?
No, those are governed to 84 mph. You can't go 90 in those either.

The vibration is not rpm related so I would rule out the motor. It's gotta to be something speed related like wheel balance, driveshaft, suspension, etc. Could be the hood vibration is transferring to the firewall and your dash. Could just be your dash is getting tired and starting to rattle. Throw some hood pins in there or raise the stops so it don't shake and then see if the rattle persists. At least rule it out.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #5 of 6 Old October 18th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Enthusiast

I had a vibration at 100-120 at the track and it came from one of the weights (peal and stick) came off one of my rear rims, it was a string of 4 of them but 3 were still there and one square of stickys had a weight missing after putting the street tires back on I had no vibration.

Over the years the front vibration is something you notice early through the steering wheel at slower speeds (below 40 mph) while the rear shows up around 50 mph depending on just how bad the problem is. The higher the speed before you feel it the smaller the imbalance is. As for the hood problem you could put tape over the gaps on the sides to the fenders where the hood seems loose normally between the adjustable front alignment bumpers and the rubber hood guides about mid fender for a test to see if it is the hood transferring it's vibrations to the dash or check to see of hinge points on the hood are tight and put tape over that area too if you think that part might be a cause. Just be careful pulling the tape off after the test.

I'd look for a missing weight first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalDosage View Post
Something about your avatar creeps me the fuck out.
2006 GT AUTO Mods:
Ford Racing Intake Manifold, 93 TUNE, UDPs, FRPP 4.10, LT's, catted X, LCA, Adj UCA, 3K Converter and P275/40R17 MT, HR cams and Paxton 1200sl
post #6 of 6 Old October 25th, 2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE.... The cause of the dash vibration was caused by a loose chin spoiler, quite interesting to me at least how things can transfer through a car from one spot to another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page