Anyone with IRS or wanna do the SRA swap READ THIS!!! - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old October 6th, 2008, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Diabeetus Send a message via Yahoo to Diabeetus
Anyone with IRS or wanna do the SRA swap READ THIS!!!

Here are a couple posts that I found researching my possible SRA swap. Super, super informative. Im sure some people have already seen it, but for those who havent, you should really take a look. Weather youre planning on doing the swap or not, this guy tells you everything about the IRS.

LEVEL 5 IRS or THE RED PILL - SVTPerformance

2003 Cobra IRS to 8.8 Live Axle Swap (DETAILS & PICS) - SVTPerformance

Black 2001 SVT Cobra
Solid axle

"Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad jugment"

MM Cobra Club Member #1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old October 6th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Regular

i like my solid axle swap. the car still handles great, and it doesnt ride much different. its all in the components you use. i went with steeda steel ($$ reasons) upper and lower control arms, and steeda sport springs with cheap ($18 ea) monroe rear shocks.<----will upgrade someday. even with the solid axle i like the way it handles better than the irs. my oppinion though

If you cant hear the whine, then your behind

Mods: solid axle with 3.73's, MGW shifter, bassani cat-back, afco heat exchanger, k&n fipk, C&L intake tube, accufab throttle body with s.c. inlet, 2.76 upper pulley, 90 mm aux idler pulley, sct tuner
post #3 of 13 Old October 6th, 2008, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Diabeetus Send a message via Yahoo to Diabeetus
People say how bad it handles or how bad it feels after the swap, but it cant feel any different form a GT and I dont hear all the GT owners bitching about their ride. Im still torn on wether or not I wanna do it. I wanna drag it every other weekend or so and my long range plans call for big horsepower. This is, I cant get gears or a cat-back untill Imake up my mind on what to do. Its killing me!

Black 2001 SVT Cobra
Solid axle

"Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad jugment"

MM Cobra Club Member #1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old October 6th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Regular

DO IT its much easier than most ppl think and well worth it if your hitting the track every other weekend. at the track the axle snapping on 4500 RPM launches is the last thing on my mind. when i had a irs i was hopping all the way through first and into second then BOOM, sure i should of got out of it and saved the axle but now i dont even think about. and we all know at the starting line you have enough to think about you dont wanna be thinking about snapping the halfshaft or feathering the clutch just to save a halfshaft. just my opinion i love my solid works really well for me. but to each his/her own.

tri-ax, alum. drive shaft,caster/camber plates,cia, SCT chip,4.10 gears,solid axle swap, 31 spline axles,UPR control arms, UPR A-arms, flowmasters,MSD 2-step,SLP line lock,front and rear coil overs 307rwhp,309rwtq
MM New Edge Cobra Club Member #4
post #5 of 13 Old October 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Regular

+1
i would do it, it will be cheaper in the long run....you will be happy as long as you try to buy the cheapest parts possible....i can get in mine and drive it 6 or 7 hrs down the highway and not think anything about it, and the ride doesnt beat you up. the swap is real easy..if i had my choice to do something like this or put in a clutch...i would do this...if you had a hoist you could do it in about 5 hrs or so,

If you cant hear the whine, then your behind

Mods: solid axle with 3.73's, MGW shifter, bassani cat-back, afco heat exchanger, k&n fipk, C&L intake tube, accufab throttle body with s.c. inlet, 2.76 upper pulley, 90 mm aux idler pulley, sct tuner
post #6 of 13 Old February 8th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Regular

i need to know what are the parts that i need to do the swap my friend selling me his sra

new beast
Gt40p heads,e303 cam,upper and lower tfs intake,3.73 gears,hurst short shifter,bbk cai,75mm tb,bbk spacer,l/t headers,flowmaster catback,centerforce clutch
post #7 of 13 Old February 8th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Regular

i can has your irs?

XD

1998 Gt full pi swap -Dead and gone
1998 Mark VIII 4.30s, 125 shot, 93 d/s-Daily Driver
1998 BAB Cobra-Project
post #8 of 13 Old February 9th, 2011, 01:48 AM
6 Time ROTM Loser!

post #9 of 13 Old February 9th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Regular

^ you noticed to... time to clean out the mm files..
post #10 of 13 Old February 9th, 2011, 11:33 AM
King Trashmouth

Despite how old it is... It was nice to get the links to all the IRS parts in that writeup. Subscribed on SVTP.
post #11 of 13 Old February 28th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Regular

SInce I did my IRS swap, I feel my car handles better. rides better. I dont snap shafts anymore. and the rear end dosent seem to follow the uneven road groves like the irs rear did.
post #12 of 13 Old February 28th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Regular

Send a message via AIM to mustang3194
someone needs to make a irs strength kit. they are a terrible design to begin with. yes they can ride better but not strength. straights tend to jump around in the back a little more but there is much more strength

95 Mustang swapped to a 96 Cobra Drivetrain
post #13 of 13 Old April 26th, 2019, 01:53 PM
Look Ma! My First Post!

I'm looking to go from SRA to IRS

I have a 2001 GT and want to prep it for the Track.

Looking to go from the SRA to an IRS, does that sound normal? Haven't been able to find anything on the web about going in that direction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/91727-anyone-irs-wanna-do-sra-swap-read.html
Posted By For Type Date
My SRA swap - Page 2 This thread Refback February 25th, 2012 12:12 AM
Help from LSS members needed! - Lone Star Stangs | The Texas Mustang Club This thread Refback June 24th, 2011 08:08 AM
My SRA swap This thread Refback June 4th, 2010 08:12 PM
Anyone working on an SRA swap? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Forums This thread Refback March 7th, 2010 10:59 AM