Does anyone sell their shots? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old April 12th, 2012, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Does anyone sell their shots?

I have recently been looking in to selling printed shots i have taken. A local bar(neighborhood) got bought by a friend of mine who is willing to let me post a few of them up to be sold to a patron of the bar. We have yet to decide what if any of a percentage the bar would take from the sale. Since it would be a side income of mine I am not hugely concerned about what they take, but I still want my fair share.

Anyway, this is the piece I already have printed on canvas that I want to sell, as well as a cheap iPhone shot of it hung on my wall. I'm thinking of asking $175 for the picture as it is. Is that an excessive amount? What do you guys think is fair for a 1.5" thick canvas wrapped print? Granted I got a deal on the wrap but normally the wrap would be at least half of the cost.

Digital copy:

Printed Copy:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old April 12th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much

A guy here at work takes alot of wildlife photos while traveling across the country. He's printed a bunch of them up, and has a small display here. He set the display up over a year ago, and has sold maybe 2. Maybe it'll be different there, and if its not costing you alot up front to see if you can make a little cash, i'd say go for it.

MM + Cleavage member #22

post #3 of 12 Old April 12th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

If you're just lookin to sell a few shots here and there, I'd say the price you're asking is fine. If you're serious about photography and eventually would like to make some money at it, I have one suggestion, which is based on my own experience:
I don't know how many people at a local bar will be ready to drop almost 200 bones on a photo with local houses in it...it is a pretty cool image, but if it is local...people probably know who's houses those are and may not care to have pic of them in their own house. But if the price is a bit lower, they might overlook that. My point is, if you want to start making money, the most important thing for you would be to get your name out there. This might require you to sell some shots at close to what they cost you to produce, or maybe even a bit less in order to get some images circulating.
Once people know your name and like your work, you'll get people inquiring about you. Its all about what you're hoping to acheive

Aluminum heads, TF upper/lower, bbk tb
c&l intake w/Pro*M Racing MAF, shorty headers
24# injectors, off-road H, custom catback
H&R springs, 3.73's
short throw.....still slow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old April 13th, 2012, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Well the bar and the place I took the shot are about a half mile away from each other. And it's a fairly higher end neighborhood I don't think I would have a problem getting what I'm asking out of it. I had it canvas wrapped for 30$ through a groupon deal and it's not like I gotta have the cash. It would just be nice to sell some shots here and there.

post #5 of 12 Old April 13th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Does anyone sell their shots?-imageuploadedbyautoguide1334290297.223793.jpg

My cool pic from Hawaii.

Edit why is it so damn small when i uploaded it?

Silver Sixxer Club
post #6 of 12 Old April 13th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Double post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoguide1334290494.862523.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	26183  

Silver Sixxer Club
post #7 of 12 Old April 13th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnate116 View Post
Well the bar and the place I took the shot are about a half mile away from each other. And it's a fairly higher end neighborhood I don't think I would have a problem getting what I'm asking out of it. I had it canvas wrapped for 30$ through a groupon deal and it's not like I gotta have the cash. It would just be nice to sell some shots here and there.
Well, you should be ok then. If you're not trying to make a living or a substantial 2nd income, then no worries. It does get addicting tho once you sell your first couple, and then you start getting asked if you've done anything new or where can I get a copy of this or that....
Good luck to you!

Aluminum heads, TF upper/lower, bbk tb
c&l intake w/Pro*M Racing MAF, shorty headers
24# injectors, off-road H, custom catback
H&R springs, 3.73's
short throw.....still slow.
post #8 of 12 Old April 13th, 2012, 02:07 AM
May 08 ROTM

MX, I do canvas shots frequently in various sizes. My cost printed and stretched for a 24x36 is 45.00 and I sell them for 225.00 You will have an easier time selling to clients on their demand. Advertise and have samples for view, but you'll net more sales going out and landing requested shots. Have them pay half up front, half on delivery.
post #9 of 12 Old April 13th, 2012, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordon View Post
Well, you should be ok then. If you're not trying to make a living or a substantial 2nd income, then no worries. It does get addicting tho once you sell your first couple, and then you start getting asked if you've done anything new or where can I get a copy of this or that....
Good luck to you!
I have a second job as a sports photographer, but i dont have shoots in my area very often. I would just like to start selling some of my own stuff locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emay View Post
MX, I do canvas shots frequently in various sizes. My cost printed and stretched for a 24x36 is 45.00 and I sell them for 225.00 You will have an easier time selling to clients on their demand. Advertise and have samples for view, but you'll net more sales going out and landing requested shots. Have them pay half up front, half on delivery.
Thanks for the tips emay, I am gonna put a card with it when its up on the wall with my info on it if they want more "custom" shots.

also where are you getting your canvases printed at? I have used costco, fabness, and canvas pop, never had any bad experiences, but I think costco was the cheapest by far.

post #10 of 12 Old June 7th, 2012, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

does anyone use online sites to sell their photos? or have any other tips? I am really wanting to earn some side money selling photos/doing shoots.

Like I said I have a second job as a sports photographer but in my area all I get to shoot is High School state sports. which dont happen very often.

post #11 of 12 Old June 7th, 2012, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

also here is another one of my recent shots, that I have had printed on canvas that im trying to sell

again im really looking to sell it to someone in the neighborhood as its a shot of the neighborhood. Its a higher end neighborhood so I can see someone/some business possibly buying it

post #12 of 12 Old June 7th, 2012, 10:31 AM
May 08 ROTM

Nate, you may want to look into a website and gallery your shots until your "word of mouth" clientel develop. In time you won't have to advertise to net steady side work. If you plan on making a total living in photog work, then you will have to get yourself out there with websites, advertisements, door knocking - any means. Or the other choice is to do wedding work, this is the most steady path and requires little effort after your portfolio is set.

I find the best print work to come out of exposuremanager.com right now. Hands down they make managing your profits, printing, and custom work ie. special text input by clients, bundling etc the easiest and most cost effective of any specialized online print site I have used. Give em a look. I believe the service is around 85.00 a year now a days and you sell at the profit margin you want to make. They simply cut their printing costs out of your pricing, pocket that and send you weekly, monthly or annual checks for your earnings. Additionally, they handle all merchant work so you can take any form of credit card payment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page