Photography HELP/TIPS/TRICKS Thread - Page 3 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Happy Man
 
Shook1db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,472
       
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple A View Post
It looks like you've only got two aperture settings.

The bar on the bottom right may control your flashes power level. That's just a guess, you should try it out. Set your ISO, shutter speed, and aperture, then turn on your flash and photograph something with the mark in the center of the meter, the one with it all the way to the left, and all the way to the right. If you've got the owners manual it should go into detail about this.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Thanks man, Rep'd ya.

Well the wife bought the camera last year and I've just been trying to learn how to use the settings on it to take better pictures. I will mess it and try and look up an owners manual.

It has a very good range of ISO settings, a very good range of shutter speeds but only 2 apeture settings that are quite far apart. . . That's kinda lame but oh well. They got this camera on sale for like $100 or something like that a year and a half ago now. This will at least get me comfortable with those 3 settings. Before a couple days ago I didn't even know what they meant. I got lucky shooting a couple pictures with it.

Honest judgement what do you guys think of these pictures:

BTW the bar on the left seems to adjust the color of the picture. The first picture I adjusted that bar on the bottom right and it made it the sepia-ish color (if that's what that is)








I hadn't messed with anything but apeture and the bar on the bottom right for these pictures because I didn't know anything at all about Iso or shutter speed but the iso was auto set to 400 for these pictures. No clue what the shutter speed was.

Always Clean Crew
Shook1db is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 01:57 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Imaginary Enemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,402
                     
iTrader: 5 reviews
The third one doesn't really do anything for me. The fourth is okay, but almost half of the frame is empty and I don't like the reflection of your light source in the car. I really like the first one. The second on is good too, but if you stepped to the left and got more of the glass works in the frame and blocked of that highlight it would be better. Also needs a tighter crop. Custom color balance is a personal preference. I normally set a custom white balance using a gray card, but there are times when I adjust it in post to achieve a different effect.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Imaginary Enemy is offline  
post #43 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 193
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1986 View Post
Original


Edit


I made a few changed
On this pic I use Lightroom 4
Punisher1986 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #44 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 10:37 AM
May 08 ROTM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: S. Elgin
Posts: 7,192
                     
iTrader: 3 reviews
Shook, I'm going to use your cameras limitations as an example so don't take any offense to this particular reply. You are correct that that particular camera goes into a limited capability in the full zoom position. Unfortunately this sucks for getting total control. You will need to leave the camera unzoomed and get closer to your subjects to make use of the rest of the aperature range.

For those that are looking for a camera, Shooks camera is a good example of what can happen in a purchase. Anyone who comes in to these threads and wants to produce higher end pics should take notice of what limitations there are. I'm not speaking directly about his specific camera brand or model either. This is just one example of what could happen to a novice buyer. There's clearly some manual control available, albeit limited. In case you didn't read what Triple caught in the AP the camera is limited with no stop increments at full zoom between F3.x to F8. This leaves so much capability off the table it's not even funny.

Shook, you will just have to work a little harder in low light at full zoom, out in good sunlight you will be fine.

Also, do me a favor and put the camera in full auto in the same conditions, take a shot and see what the camera senses for settings. I'd be curious if the auto feature overrides and makes use of the stops inbetween.
Emay is offline  
post #45 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 11:04 AM
May 08 ROTM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: S. Elgin
Posts: 7,192
                     
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1986 View Post
On this pic I use Lightroom 4
Punisher, this is my last reply to your pics until I see you go out and apply everything that's been given to you. You simply can't turn a turd into a diamond. This isn't meant to be harsh, but clearly you are not listening.

You have a black car half covered by a shadow and a white car out in the sunlight. Move them, at the very least flip spots but get the white car entirely in shadow to make exposure easier if you insist on having them in the same shot in this particular setting. Bottom line it's poor practice to do either - there is clearly no thought put into getting the best pic possible which is the intent of this thread.

Second, There are fence shadows draping all over the shot. Again, move the cars to a place that doesn't bring in so many distractions.

Third, get rid of the mutant shadow on the right hand side of the frame. Do it in post, move to a different spot to shoot, or again move the cars. It's flat out distracting and should never happen.

Fourth, you have dust on your sensor as seen just above the tree line on the left side of the frame. I see 2 there and one almost dead center at the top of the frame. Camera needs cleaning.
Emay is offline  
post #46 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Happy Man
 
Shook1db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,472
       
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple A View Post
The third one doesn't really do anything for me. The fourth is okay, but almost half of the frame is empty and I don't like the reflection of your light source in the car. I really like the first one. The second on is good too, but if you stepped to the left and got more of the glass works in the frame and blocked of that highlight it would be better. Also needs a tighter crop. Custom color balance is a personal preference. I normally set a custom white balance using a gray card, but there are times when I adjust it in post to achieve a different effect.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Thanks man I appreciate the honest feedback. The 3rd and 4th were after my paint correction on my car so the 4th has the light reflection to show the clarity of the paint.

Thanks for the info on the glassworkz picture. Now when you say tighter crop you mean crop the picture so it's just more of the glass and reflection rather than the surroundings? Sorry, just making sure I understand all the terms being used. I literally started reading up on this and looking into it about a week ago.

I will be adjusting the white balance more when as I get used to the settings on the camera for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emay View Post
Shook, I'm going to use your cameras limitations as an example so don't take any offense to this particular reply. You are correct that that particular camera goes into a limited capability in the full zoom position. Unfortunately this sucks for getting total control. You will need to leave the camera unzoomed and get closer to your subjects to make use of the rest of the aperature range.

For those that are looking for a camera, Shooks camera is a good example of what can happen in a purchase. Anyone who comes in to these threads and wants to produce higher end pics should take notice of what limitations there are. I'm not speaking directly about his specific camera brand or model either. This is just one example of what could happen to a novice buyer. There's clearly some manual control available, albeit limited. In case you didn't read what Triple caught in the AP the camera is limited with no stop increments at full zoom between F3.x to F8. This leaves so much capability off the table it's not even funny.

Shook, you will just have to work a little harder in low light at full zoom, out in good sunlight you will be fine.

Also, do me a favor and put the camera in full auto in the same conditions, take a shot and see what the camera senses for settings. I'd be curious if the auto feature overrides and makes use of the stops inbetween.
Thanks man. No offense taken. I'm here to learn more about this stuff. I have put a LOT of work into my car correcting the paint and making it look good I want to be able to take good enough pictures to show that.

Yeah, the camera is limited and she knew that when she was buying it but I think they are only like 150 now and they were about 200 when she got it on blackfriday for like a 100 or something around there. I didn't realize how limited until I started to understand those terms a little better.

The video I put up of the aperture was when the camera was zoomed all the way out. If I zoom all the way in I have 2 different apertures (can't remember the numbers). The aperture happens to be extrememly limited where as the shutter speed and the iso are not at all. . . My iso goes from 64-3200 or something around there. . .

When I get home I will take a picture on all auto settings and I will take the same picture on custom settings.

Always Clean Crew
Shook1db is offline  
post #47 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM
May 08 ROTM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: S. Elgin
Posts: 7,192
                     
iTrader: 3 reviews
Shook, no worries, as long as your aware you will learn to work around those things. If you hadn't asked, Trips wouldn't have been able to inform you of the limitation being there. No you can either avoid it or compensate going forward. In turn if you ever gravitate into a full feature DSLR, life will become ridiculously easy behind the camera.

Keep shooting - your seeing and understanding light and limitations. This is the fundamental base that needs to happen to be successful.
Emay is offline  
post #48 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Happy Man
 
Shook1db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,472
       
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emay View Post
Shook, no worries, as long as your aware you will learn to work around those things. If you hadn't asked, Trips wouldn't have been able to inform you of the limitation being there. No you can either avoid it or compensate going forward. In turn if you ever gravitate into a full feature DSLR, life will become ridiculously easy behind the camera.

Keep shooting - your seeing and understanding light and limitations. This is the fundamental base that needs to happen to be successful.
How much are lower end DSLR camera's? 600~? It'd be nice to have a camera that could change lenses as well. Vader was talking about a 329 dollars camera that has all these features. That's not too expensive maybe i'll look into that.

Will do. I'm going to start bringing it with me more often. Actually going to a rally called sno drift here in a couple weeks so maybe i'll take it with me and see if I can't figure out the shutter speed on some moving objects.

Always Clean Crew
Shook1db is offline  
post #49 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
I Handle Meat Entirely Way Too Much
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,744
                   
iTrader: 1 reviews
entry level dslr are mostly around 500$
thats a decent camera, that i will never learn how to properly use lmao

my buddy just got the d3200, same as mine d3000, but he has video and live view i believe




HANDSOME MEN'S CLUB -FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT
serbiandude is offline  
post #50 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 03:10 PM
MM Fanatic
 
mxnate116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 3,357
         
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by townaj View Post
Ok I have a question I really want answered, and for some reason I think Emay can help. I need a place that will print out my panoramas for me. If I remember right Emay or maybe Triple has somewhere online that they use, but I can't find that thread.

I went to costco yesterday and had them do 3 18x12 prints and 4 8x12s. They came out amazingly, but they would not/could not do my huge panos....any help?
Last time I had prints done costco will do 12"x36" prints, when you give the jpegs to them you must tell them, no post processing, no cropping, use the image exactly how it is. if they are extra long pano's you will have some letter-boxing going on.


mxnate116 is offline  
post #51 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Imaginary Enemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,402
                     
iTrader: 5 reviews
Shook, asking questions is how you learn. Five years ago I knew nothing about photography, but over the years I've learned a lot from books, websites, school, and from using my camera. As long as you apply what you research, it's not a waste of time.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Imaginary Enemy is offline  
post #52 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Broke as F*ck!!
 
townaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Antonio/Lubbock
Posts: 2,725
     
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnate116 View Post
Last time I had prints done costco will do 12"x36" prints, when you give the jpegs to them you must tell them, no post processing, no cropping, use the image exactly how it is. if they are extra long pano's you will have some letter-boxing going on.

Alright cool! I'll have to check it out next time I go food shopping. What is letter-boxing? And one of mine is pretty long, it was 16 separate photos in the beginning lol. Do you like the glossy or the matte finish more?


Black 2003 Cobra
Turbos in progress.

Twin Turbo Cobra Build

townaj is offline  
post #53 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 03:38 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Imaginary Enemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,402
                     
iTrader: 5 reviews
This hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but monitor calibration is something you all should consider. On your own personal computers the color and contrast may look good, but they could actually be a bit or even a lot off. This is also important for printing (printers also need calibration). Whether you send it off or buy a printer of your own, each different type of paper needs their own color profile to be accurate. If your monitor is calibrated and you send your photos off for print, you can select No Color Management and you'll know you're getting exactly what you see on screen. All photos, except those taken with the Nikon D800E, need to be sharpened a little bit for digital viewing and even more for print.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Imaginary Enemy is offline  
post #54 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 03:57 PM
MM Fanatic
 
mxnate116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 3,357
         
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by townaj View Post
Alright cool! I'll have to check it out next time I go food shopping. What is letter-boxing? And one of mine is pretty long, it was 16 separate photos in the beginning lol. Do you like the glossy or the matte finish more?
The two photos farthest to the left in my picture have white letter boxing on top and bottom. I have only had my photos printed glossy, but matte looks perfectly fine.

mxnate116 is offline  
post #55 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Happy Man
 
Shook1db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,472
       
iTrader: 1 reviews
What do you guys think of a Camera like this:

I will eventually look around for a camera that's probably 300-500 (maybe) dollars. Possibly used but im not sure. I'm going to go home today and start messing with mine.

Always Clean Crew
Shook1db is offline  
post #56 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Imaginary Enemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,402
                     
iTrader: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by townaj View Post
Alright cool! I'll have to check it out next time I go food shopping. What is letter-boxing? And one of mine is pretty long, it was 16 separate photos in the beginning lol. Do you like the glossy or the matte finish more?
My personal choice would be matte or luster paper. Glossy is too reflective I'm my opinion.

Letter boxing adds width or height to create a conventional aspect ratio. A 24x8 would be a 24x16 and the extra space would be filled in with a solid color.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Imaginary Enemy is offline  
post #57 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Imaginary Enemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,402
                     
iTrader: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shook1db View Post
What do you guys think of a Camera like this:
Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3CK Kit 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 14mm Pancake Lens: Camera & Photo

I will eventually look around for a camera that's probably 300-500 (maybe) dollars. Possibly used but im not sure. I'm going to go home today and start messing with mine.
Honestly, I'd suggest saving up to buy a DSLR. You seem to be a technical person and I'm sure you'd enjoy a higher end camera more than you would a Point and Shoot.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Imaginary Enemy is offline  
post #58 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Happy Man
 
Shook1db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,472
       
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple A View Post
Honestly, I'd suggest saving up to buy a DSLR. You seem to be a technical person and I'm sure you'd enjoy a higher end camera more than you would a Point and Shoot.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
That's good advice. I was looking at d3100's earlier and talking to the wife about getting into this and she said it was a good idea and that it should be my "new years resolution" to learn about this. I will start looking into new and used dslr's and keep using what I have to get a better handle on these settings.

Always Clean Crew
Shook1db is offline  
post #59 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Broke as F*ck!!
 
townaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Antonio/Lubbock
Posts: 2,725
     
iTrader: 0 reviews
Thanks Nate and Triple, repped ya both. The prints I just got at Costco were Luster, but I wasn't sure if glossy would look better or not. I'll have to try it next time just to see


Black 2003 Cobra
Turbos in progress.

Twin Turbo Cobra Build

townaj is offline  
post #60 of 414 Old January 8th, 2013, 08:42 PM
MM Fanatic
 
mxnate116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 3,357
         
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple A View Post
My personal choice would be matte or luster paper. Glossy is too reflective I'm my opinion.

Letter boxing adds width or height to create a conventional aspect ratio. A 24x8 would be a 24x16 and the extra space would be filled in with a solid color.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Quote:
Originally Posted by townaj View Post
Thanks Nate and Triple, repped ya both. The prints I just got at Costco were Luster, but I wasn't sure if glossy would look better or not. I'll have to try it next time just to see
No prob!

And Ill agree with triple, it is failry reflective. I would get two smaller prints done and compare side by side. Most of my prints I framed with cheap frames just to put them up, I wasn't too concerned at the time.

mxnate116 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome