Post advice - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old March 1st, 2015, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Pawsitively sexy

Post advice

I've definitely learned that getting a good picture is more important then anything you do in post processing, but I still want to strive to get better at it. Starting to see that when I first started jumping into photography and post editing, I was very heavy handed on the saturation to the point of looking cartoonish. I think I'm making strides and I'm looking for more advice and tips on how to up my game.

Example of early editing:

Re-visiting the photo the other day:

2012 CTS-V

Not stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old March 1st, 2015, 06:49 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

For car photography, I keep the post processing simple. Typically I'll adjust the levels, increase sharpening, and retouch any imperfections in the image.

The second image definitely looks better.

The most important thing is to get your image as close as you can in camera. You've got your black car in the shade and the houses in the background are in the sun so if you expose for one, the other is gonna be either too bright or too dark. If you have a tripod you can take multiple exposures to get highlight, mid tones, and shadows with detail. Otherwise, I would create a separate layer mask for the car and foreground and bring the exposure up some and increase the warmth. Then bring down the exposure of the sky if you can.
post #3 of 4 Old March 2nd, 2015, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Pawsitively sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Enemy View Post
For car photography, I keep the post processing simple. Typically I'll adjust the levels, increase sharpening, and retouch any imperfections in the image.

The second image definitely looks better.

The most important thing is to get your image as close as you can in camera. You've got your black car in the shade and the houses in the background are in the sun so if you expose for one, the other is gonna be either too bright or too dark. If you have a tripod you can take multiple exposures to get highlight, mid tones, and shadows with detail. Otherwise, I would create a separate layer mask for the car and foreground and bring the exposure up some and increase the warmth. Then bring down the exposure of the sky if you can.
I've never actually blended images with different exposures before. I'll have to get that down pat. Appreciate the advice, man.

2012 CTS-V

Not stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:27 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

No, problem. It's not too difficult once you get the hang of it. Just takes time and patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page