New guy here!/Fox body questions?!?! - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old June 9th, 2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down New guy here!/Fox body questions?!?!

Hello all, im glad to be appart of this forum. iv been checking it out and you all seem very friendly! Anyway a guy in my area is selling a 1990 foxbody mustang, for whatever reason it has a 1995 5.0L engine in it and it needs new suspension and ball joints. He says it has fairly new tires on it and i believe the 95 engine has just under 140k miles. So far thats all i really know about it. But the guys is only asking $500 for it. When i talked to him on the phone he said he wanted $1500, but i told him that im looking for a project car and that it would be taken care of very well. I can tell he cares alot about the car but apparently hes got too many projects going on now. so he said he would let it go for 500. Now with the new suspension and all im going to try and talk him down. But i guess what im really asking is, am i walking into a nightmare of a car? iv never owned a mustang, in fact this will be my second car ever. Is suspension and ball joints hard to change? is it going to cost me alot? Now i havent looked at the car, but i am going tomorrow to check it out. I will take some pics to post up for a refrence. but is $500 too good to be true? I understand the condition will determine the value. But ANY feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time guys. Im really looking forward to this project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old June 9th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Make my day...N/A

Welcome to MM.

Take a good look at the car before you find out $500 was $499 too much for it. Check around the windshield/cowl for bubbling, see if the hear core is hooked up. If the car had a/c and the core is disconnected you have to pull the dash to replace it. If the suspension is original then the bushings are likely shot. If you can get it up on a lift check the floor pans and torque boxes since they are prone to cracking.

1997 Cobra - 336rwhp/298tq, 03 Aviator long block with a few mods and a built IRS with 4:56's.
My build thread - https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ml#post4514265
post #3 of 9 Old June 9th, 2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

cool man, thanks for the feed back man! yea im gonna take my dad with me to take a look, he used to work on old 50s chevys and what not. i told him about the suspension and he said that its gonna be a headache getting the car up to par but idk seeing as iv never replaced suspension or ball joints i wouldnt know. But if the old man isnt impressed i will prolly take his word for it. But again i wil take pics of the car to post up.
might actually be worth the money and it would be a great learning experience for me. for the most part i just know how to change oil, tires, brakes...the simple stuff. but iv got this strange hunger to learn more about cars. anyway thanks again for the feedback and youve already made me feel welcome! looking forward to this project!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old June 9th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Make my day...N/A

Glad to help. I haven't been here long myself but its a pretty good board.

Just be careful and don't rush ito buying something because of the price. Sometimes it is cheaper in the log run to spend a little more and get a solid car v.s trying to fix a lost cause. This thread is a good read on how to do things right https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...up-my-fox.html

1997 Cobra - 336rwhp/298tq, 03 Aviator long block with a few mods and a built IRS with 4:56's.

Last edited by Gallows; June 9th, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old June 9th, 2012, 08:29 PM
MM Fanatic

really it depends on what you want to use the car for. A DD it would be a lot of work and money it sounds like. If it is gonna be just used for a drag car then it is a good deal even if it is a little rusty.
post #6 of 9 Old June 9th, 2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

wow! thanks gallows, that link had tons of info in it. and iv been doing alot of research on the foxes but i havent found much. And im really looking to restore the car first before i make any major adjustments. id like to know what im working with first before i go crazy and and start ripping it appart. again thanks for the information, it is greatly appreciated. Would like to make a fox body go sideways eventually. but i wouldnt be able to afford drift parts. will prolly just go for a redline racer....but again i would really like to restore it before i do anything HUGE. thanks again guys!
post #7 of 9 Old June 10th, 2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

What exactly do you mean by DD Green? does that stand ro "daily driver" or.... kinda lost here...
post #8 of 9 Old June 10th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Make my day...N/A

DD = daily driver

post #9 of 9 Old June 10th, 2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

ohh, yes! the car will be a daily driver for the time being. when i went to see the car today it was buried in garage so i was not able to take pics, but the paint on it was all rattle can. i was also not able to get into the car to see the interior. however he offerd to let me come to his work garage when he starts the swap and everything so that i know what im getting into. appaerently he has a rebuilt 87 engine in it that he going to swap to a new sell hes got....so no, the swap hasnt been done yet. but i figure since im gonna be there for it and i havent commited to anything yet i couldnt hurt. Anyway thanks for the feedback guys! really appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page