Trump & MOAB. - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old April 14th, 2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
\_(ツ)_/
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 3,679
     
iTrader: 0 reviews
Trump & MOAB.

I know nothing about bombs.

What is this thing actually capable of doing? I already watched the video, but it does me no justice.

Is Trump just showing off his power? Trying to destroy their hide outs, weapons, and technology? Just trying to wipe out the enemy? Or just seeing what this big sumbitch can do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
How did this gorilla stuff even get started in a thread about me taking it hard in the ass?
Levi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 Old April 14th, 2017, 11:09 AM
MM Fanatic
 
Woodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 4,562
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
It's just a really, really big bomb designed to do a lot of shock and awe at a specific target. It's more precise at destroying a large area than carpet bombing, and since it can be easily targeted/guided to a target, can minimize civilian casualties when used properly, unlike other area of effect weaponry like FAE bombs (Basically igniting all of the oxygen in a given area, killing all the people) or having long term residual effects like a nuclear weapon would.

If I recall correctly, the MOAB is designed for deep penetration of hardened, underground structures. Caves/bunkers that need lots of punch to penetrate.

It's essentially a demonstration of our abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
Woodman is online now  
post #3 of 35 Old April 14th, 2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
\_(ツ)_/
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 3,679
     
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
It's just a really, really big bomb designed to do a lot of shock and awe at a specific target. It's more precise at destroying a large area than carpet bombing, and since it can be easily targeted/guided to a target, can minimize civilian casualties when used properly, unlike other area of effect weaponry like FAE bombs (Basically igniting all of the oxygen in a given area, killing all the people) or having long term residual effects like a nuclear weapon would.

If I recall correctly, the MOAB is designed for deep penetration of hardened, underground structures. Caves/bunkers that need lots of punch to penetrate.

It's essentially a demonstration of our abilities.
Okay, it sounds more ideal to use, unless you're looking to just destroy everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
How did this gorilla stuff even get started in a thread about me taking it hard in the ass?
Levi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 35 Old April 14th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 178
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
It's suppose to have a mile wide blast radius and you are right, the video doesn't do justice. That bomb has 11 tons of explosives and it's 30 feet long!
Mike's03Mach is offline  
post #5 of 35 Old April 14th, 2017, 12:17 PM
missippi roolz
 
socialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,949
         
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
It's just a really, really big bomb designed to do a lot of shock and awe at a specific target. It's more precise at destroying a large area than carpet bombing, and since it can be easily targeted/guided to a target, can minimize civilian casualties when used properly, unlike other area of effect weaponry like FAE bombs (Basically igniting all of the oxygen in a given area, killing all the people) or having long term residual effects like a nuclear weapon would.

If I recall correctly, the MOAB is designed for deep penetration of hardened, underground structures. Caves/bunkers that need lots of punch to penetrate.

It's essentially a demonstration of our abilities.
Actually, it's designed for soft targets and specifically cave systems (which is precisely where it was supposedly used):

Quote:
The MOAB is not a penetrator weapon and is primarily intended for soft to medium surface targets covering extended areas and targets in a contained environment such as a deep canyon or within a cave system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-43...perational_use

Definitely creates a "shock & awe", hopefully not killing the shit out of civilians (from reports so far, it was pretty much an ISIS only area since they were bunkered down in caves) so although it creates a psychological aspect based on the fact we've never used one in combat, it also tactically served its purpose.
Nasty likes this.

A young man was following Him, wearing nothing but a linen sheet over his naked body; and they seized him. But he pulled free of the linen sheet and escaped naked. (Mark 14:51-52)
socialist is online now  
post #6 of 35 Old April 14th, 2017, 12:20 PM
Made in U.S.A.
 
Nasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,435
                     
iTrader: 12 reviews
It really was a perfect opportunity to use it.
Nasty is offline  
post #7 of 35 Old April 14th, 2017, 12:54 PM
missippi roolz
 
socialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,949
         
iTrader: 3 reviews

A young man was following Him, wearing nothing but a linen sheet over his naked body; and they seized him. But he pulled free of the linen sheet and escaped naked. (Mark 14:51-52)
socialist is online now  
post #8 of 35 Old April 14th, 2017, 05:18 PM
MM Fanatic
 
Woodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 4,562
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
Actually, it's designed for soft targets and specifically cave systems (which is precisely where it was supposedly used):



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-43...perational_use

Definitely creates a "shock & awe", hopefully not killing the shit out of civilians (from reports so far, it was pretty much an ISIS only area since they were bunkered down in caves) so although it creates a psychological aspect based on the fact we've never used one in combat, it also tactically served its purpose.
Didn't we use one back in the second Iraq war?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
Woodman is online now  
post #9 of 35 Old April 14th, 2017, 06:00 PM
US Air Force (retired)
 
Eagle2000GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 13,429
                     
Garage
iTrader: 1 reviews
The bomb was a GBU-43/B (GBU stands for Guided Bomb Unit). Its description is Massive Ordinance Air Blast (MOAB). That is what it is called in all official documents. Because of its size it was nicknamed "Mother of All Bombs." That is a nickname the troops gave it. It is not an official name.

There really isn't anything special about it. It is nothing more than a bigger, improved, more accurate "Daisy Cutter." The Daisy Cutter is a 15,000 lb. bomb. The MOAB is a 21,000 lb. bomb. The official designation of a Daisy Cutter is BLU-82/B BLU stands for Bomb Live Unit. They are both delivered exactly the same way, out of the back of a C-130. Daisy Cutters have been used when the situation is right since Vietnam. In Vietnam they were used to clear forests to create helicopter landing areas. In Iraq Daisy Cutters were used to neutralize IEDs (Improvised Explosive Devices) and to collapse non-reinforced tunnels.

Both the Daisy Cutter and the MOAB are air blast weapons. They never touch the ground. They are not bunker busters. Bunker busters penetrate deep into ground going through up to 22 feet of steel reinforced concrete before exploding. The GBU-28 was used to destroy Iraq's extremely hardened, thought to be impenetrable bunkers. Air blast weapons destroy targets through over pressure. That is why they are so good at setting off IEDs. Extreme over pressure also collapses unhardened tunnels.

The reason the MOAB was used in the area was that it was an open area filled with tunnels and covered with IEDs. It needed to be cleared before ground troops could go in. MOABs are not used in heavily populated areas. Its blast area is over a mile wide. While it is fairly precise at hitting its target, it is not precise in what it kills.

By the way, The MOAB is not the biggest air blast weapon. The Russians are reported to have one that is even bigger.

The media is making a much bigger deal over the bomb than is merited probably because it was the first time it was used and its nickname is the Mother of All Bombs. But huge air blast bombs have been used for around 50 years.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
Eagle2000GT is offline  
post #10 of 35 Old April 15th, 2017, 12:59 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Novanutcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 6,054
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
The media is making a much bigger deal over the bomb than is merited probably because it was the first time it was used and its nickname is the Mother of All Bombs.
Agreed. The only reason they're making a big deal about it is because of it's nickname.

John

SOLD - '03 GT, Max Moto Max Grip Box, Wilwood SL 6 front/DL4 rear Big Brake Kit, Corbeau Seats, MGW Short Shifter, MAC Long Tube Headers/Prochamber mid/ Flowmaster 40, FRPP 4.10, TrickFlow Diff Cover/75mm TB/Plenum, Eaton Posi, Moser 31 spl Axles

Last edited by Novanutcase; April 15th, 2017 at 12:08 PM.
Novanutcase is offline  
post #11 of 35 Old April 15th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Pawsitively sexy
 
Sixpointslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lower Sussex, DE
Posts: 10,561
                   
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
The bomb was a GBU-43/B (GBU stands for Guided Bomb Unit). Its description is Massive Ordinance Air Blast (MOAB). That is what it is called in all official documents. Because of its size it was nicknamed "Mother of All Bombs." That is a nickname the troops gave it. It is not an official name.

There really isn't anything special about it. It is nothing more than a bigger, improved, more accurate "Daisy Cutter." The Daisy Cutter is a 15,000 lb. bomb. The MOAB is a 21,000 lb. bomb. The official designation of a Daisy Cutter is BLU-82/B BLU stands for Bomb Live Unit. They are both delivered exactly the same way, out of the back of a C-130. Daisy Cutters have been used when the situation is right since Vietnam. In Vietnam they were used to clear forests to create helicopter landing areas. In Iraq Daisy Cutters were used to neutralize IEDs (Improvised Explosive Devices) and to collapse non-reinforced tunnels.

Both the Daisy Cutter and the MOAB are air blast weapons. They never touch the ground. They are not bunker busters. Bunker busters penetrate deep into ground going through up to 22 feet of steel reinforced concrete before exploding. The GBU-28 was used to destroy Iraq's extremely hardened, thought to be impenetrable bunkers. Air blast weapons destroy targets through over pressure. That is why they are so good at setting off IEDs. Extreme over pressure also collapses unhardened tunnels.

The reason the MOAB was used in the area was that it was an open area filled with tunnels and covered with IEDs. It needed to be cleared before ground troops could go in. MOABs are not used in heavily populated areas. Its blast area is over a mile wide. While it is fairly precise at hitting its target, it is not precise in what it kills.

By the way, The MOAB is not the biggest air blast weapon. The Russians are reported to have one that is even bigger.

The media is making a much bigger deal over the bomb than is merited probably because it was the first time it was used and its nickname is the Mother of All Bombs. But huge air blast bombs have been used for around 50 years.
Eagle, quit being a buzz kill. You act like 21,000 lbs of freedom isn't a big fucking deal. Let me tell you, it's big league.
Woodman likes this.

2012 CTS-V

Not stock


Sixpointslow is offline  
post #12 of 35 Old April 16th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,561
         
iTrader: 2 reviews


Mattis FTW!

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
Silver GT is offline  
post #13 of 35 Old April 16th, 2017, 05:58 PM
Endangered Species
 
Blackwid0wXR7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia Beach/Richmond, VA
Posts: 864
   
iTrader: 4 reviews
The MOAB is designed to sprinkle freedom all over enemy combatants. It helps to fertilize the earth by causing enemy combatants to "sprinkle" into the environment. It's a beautiful cycle of life, really.

TCCoA Member
http://www.fquick.com/Blackwid0wxr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Makes sense when you think about... If you have $40 in your wallet and your girlfriend/wife has $5 in hers. How much money does your girlfriend/wife have?

$45. She has $45.
Blackwid0wXR7 is offline  
post #14 of 35 Old April 16th, 2017, 06:30 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Novanutcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 6,054
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver GT View Post


Mattis FTW!
As funny as that meme is the sad part to it all is that Trump has to ask what it does......

John

SOLD - '03 GT, Max Moto Max Grip Box, Wilwood SL 6 front/DL4 rear Big Brake Kit, Corbeau Seats, MGW Short Shifter, MAC Long Tube Headers/Prochamber mid/ Flowmaster 40, FRPP 4.10, TrickFlow Diff Cover/75mm TB/Plenum, Eaton Posi, Moser 31 spl Axles
Novanutcase is offline  
post #15 of 35 Old April 16th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,561
         
iTrader: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novanutcase View Post
As funny as that meme is the sad part to it all is that Trump has to ask what it does......

John
But he's asking the best in the business!

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
Silver GT is offline  
post #16 of 35 Old April 16th, 2017, 07:35 PM
MM Fanatic
 
Woodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 4,562
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novanutcase View Post
As funny as that meme is the sad part to it all is that Trump has to ask what it does......

John
I really hope you don't think that's how it really went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
Woodman is online now  
post #17 of 35 Old April 16th, 2017, 08:30 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Novanutcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 6,054
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver GT View Post
But he's asking the best in the business!
I would agree with you on that. Mattis is a dedicated warrior that has both brains and brawn. I like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
I really hope you don't think that's how it really went.
I wish I didn't but as evidenced by how ignorant he is on other aspects of government in all likelihood that is EXACTLY how it went down.

John

SOLD - '03 GT, Max Moto Max Grip Box, Wilwood SL 6 front/DL4 rear Big Brake Kit, Corbeau Seats, MGW Short Shifter, MAC Long Tube Headers/Prochamber mid/ Flowmaster 40, FRPP 4.10, TrickFlow Diff Cover/75mm TB/Plenum, Eaton Posi, Moser 31 spl Axles

Last edited by Novanutcase; April 18th, 2017 at 12:00 AM.
Novanutcase is offline  
post #18 of 35 Old April 16th, 2017, 08:50 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,561
         
iTrader: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novanutcase View Post

I wish I didn't but as evidenced by how ignorant he is on other aspects of government in all likelihood that is EXACTLY how it went down.

John
Trump actually had very little to do with the MOAB drop. My understanding is that he's basically allowing the military to make decisions like this without his approval.

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
Silver GT is offline  
post #19 of 35 Old April 16th, 2017, 09:57 PM
US Air Force (retired)
 
Eagle2000GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 13,429
                     
Garage
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver GT View Post
Trump actually had very little to do with the MOAB drop. My understanding is that he's basically allowing the military to make decisions like this without his approval.
As it should be. Politicians should set policy, goals and overall political strategy. The military needs to be free to establish the proper tactics. Politicians do not need to be picking the exact weapons to be used.

There have been very few Presidents in the last 100 years that knew the capabilities of all of our weapons. I am certain that Obama's community organizing didn't give him detailed knowledge of military weapons. I would guess that Bush didn't. Even though he was an air guard fighter pilot his knowledge of the Navy would have been somewhat limited. And Bill Clinton avoided military service. Even back in WWII Vice-President Truman didn't know about nuclear weapons until after he became President.

I would guess that the last President who would have had a fairly good knowledge of our military capabilities would have been Eisenhower.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
Eagle2000GT is offline  
post #20 of 35 Old April 17th, 2017, 12:36 AM
missippi roolz
 
socialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,949
         
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
...And Bill Clinton avoided military service...
Just in case this is a dig

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sixpointslow likes this.

A young man was following Him, wearing nothing but a linen sheet over his naked body; and they seized him. But he pulled free of the linen sheet and escaped naked. (Mark 14:51-52)
socialist is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome