Myles Garrett: Ousted Thug or Redeemable Hero? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old November 19th, 2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
He of Long Wind

Myles Garrett: Ousted Thug or Redeemable Hero?

Is anyone else following the saga of Myles Garrett? Like most fans, I was mortified by the spectacle and I applauded the NFL’s quick decision to suspend Garrett indefinitely. Fine! The initial responses seemed clear cut: Garrett “took responsibility” without excuses, and the NFL basically threw the book at him. Done!

But wait! Did we really think it would end there? Did we think Garrett would clean-out his locker, move back to Texas and take some assistant-coaching job at a local high school? Oh no! There’s a lot more juice to squeeze from the helmet-swinging drama. We’ve only seen the opening act.

In fairness, I should note that Garrett didn’t act alone (Pouncey, Rudolph and Ogunjobi all deserve their shares of the blame). Nevertheless, Myles Garrett gets the lion’s share of the infamy. The still-frame of that helmet hitting Rudolph’s head could haunt Garrett for the rest of his professional life. So what happens next? Act two:

As the appeal phase gets underway, I suspect Garrett’s guilty-plea and the NFL’s stiff punishment positions will begin to erode. How long will it be before we start hearing excuses from Garrett (mental distress, pharmaceutical mix-up, racial disparagement, scapegoating, etc.) and the NFL begins to soften its position? We all love a melodrama with a happy ending, but we need time to forgive and forget. So this will take a little time. The public relations strategy is a long-game screenplay. Perhaps Garrett will show-up on Bryant Gumbel’s show and shed a few tears - or attend a series of anger management workshops. He may do some commercials for Shriner’s Hospital or maybe volunteer at Habitat for Humanity.

As the public outrage fades, Garrett and the NFL will surely propagandize the incident into a feel-good redemption story. And before we know it, Garrett will not only be back on the field, but with an even higher stock-value in the league. The reformed Garrett may one day even tell how the incident “made him a better player” and “opened his eyes to the dangers of head-injuries.” And as the music plays and Garrett helps to fasten a cute little football helmet onto a crippled Shriner’s kid, everyone will somehow feel all warm and fuzzy again – and it will be all better.

BUILD THREAD

'84 Hatch, Bracket Car, [email protected], but I'm working on it
'71 Mach One FB 351c, Slow
'73 Torino, 302, Slower

~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old November 19th, 2019, 06:57 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Cynic much? LOL!

John

SOLD - '03 GT, Max Moto Max Grip Box, Wilwood SL 6 front/DL4 rear Big Brake Kit, Corbeau Seats, MGW Short Shifter, MAC Long Tube Headers/Prochamber mid/ Flowmaster 40, FRPP 4.10, TrickFlow Diff Cover/75mm TB/Plenum, Eaton Posi, Moser 31 spl Axles
post #3 of 3 Old November 19th, 2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
He of Long Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novanutcase View Post
Cynic much? LOL!

John
Perhaps too much.

BUILD THREAD

'84 Hatch, Bracket Car, [email protected], but I'm working on it
'71 Mach One FB 351c, Slow
'73 Torino, 302, Slower

~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page