Projector Headlights worth the money? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old July 15th, 2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Short throw

Projector Headlights worth the money?

Right now i have smoked headlight covers from American Muscle and they look awesome but dont let hardly any light through making it very hard to see, even with the fog lights on and upgraded brighter bulbs. I was looking at the smoked projector bulbs on AM and they look like they would be way better lights except they dont look that "smoked". Some of the customer photos they looked like non smoked projectors. I also found the smoked OE style headlights and the appearance was way better cause they looked to be smoked darker. I guess my question is should I get the smoked projectors to give up the look but have better night time vision, or get the OE style with my brighter bulbs to keep the smoked look and still have good light getting through? If anyone has pictures of projector bulbs at night I would like to compare. And opinions are welcome! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old July 15th, 2012, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Short throw

this is a pic of the supposedly smoked projector headlights
http://customerpics.americanmuscle.c.../sku/49126.php
and here is the non projector OE style headlights
http://customerpics.americanmuscle.c.../sku/49110.php

imo the OE style looks way better of a smoked headlight
post #3 of 15 Old July 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM
AmericanMuscle.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MustangMan_ View Post
Right now i have smoked headlight covers from American Muscle and they look awesome but dont let hardly any light through making it very hard to see, even with the fog lights on and upgraded brighter bulbs. I was looking at the smoked projector bulbs on AM and they look like they would be way better lights except they dont look that "smoked". Some of the customer photos they looked like non smoked projectors. I also found the smoked OE style headlights and the appearance was way better cause they looked to be smoked darker. I guess my question is should I get the smoked projectors to give up the look but have better night time vision, or get the OE style with my brighter bulbs to keep the smoked look and still have good light getting through? If anyone has pictures of projector bulbs at night I would like to compare. And opinions are welcome! Thanks
It's a toss up MustangMan,

Personally, I really like the look of the OE smoked lenses, and brighter bulbs would help some. Although, if this car was my daily driver, I would definitely go with the projectors. IMO it's worth having the safety of solid lighting with a daily driver, since there will be times when you're stuck in storms or serve rain.

Just my opinion, good luck with your decision!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old July 16th, 2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Short throw

yeah that's true saftey should come before style, I'm leaning towards the projectors, thanks for the input!

Sent from my VM670 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

post #5 of 15 Old July 16th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Regular

I don't mean any disrespect to Am Muscle, but the Raxiom projectors are not HID projectors, they are halide projectors, and not very good at that. I suggest if you want real projectors, with HID lights that are as safe as the Lexus, or Ford OEM projectors, you do one of the following:

1. Buy morimoto projectors and pull apart your OEM or Raxion projectors, and retrofit the Moris in place of the Raxioms. This is relatively easy, and there are threads which show how this is done, using an oven and basic hand tools. You will need to pry the cover off of the headlight to retrofit the projectors. theretrofitsource.com has everything you need to do this yourself.

2. You can have a retrofitter do the replacement, and turn your OEM or Raxiom headlights into projectors. This will cost from $400 - $1000, depending on your wish list and amount of modifications you want to do. I recommend sickhids.com

This is a much cleaner option than sticking HIDs into the Raxioms, and will last for years to come. I have a 2011 V6 Mustang and I had my OEMs retrofitted by sickhids and they work great. No flicker, no humming, no problems when the weather gets wet.

430HP to the rear wheels
post #6 of 15 Old July 16th, 2012, 02:30 PM
eating 1 ricer at a time

Go on eBay and get the projector and 35w hid headlight kit it's 90$ for a smoked kit.

Sent from somewhere in the world other than home.

Power in the hands of a few
post #7 of 15 Old July 16th, 2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Short throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GT89 View Post
Go on eBay and get the projector and 35w hid headlight kit it's 90$ for a smoked kit.

Sent from somewhere in the world other than home.
ok thanks ill check it out

post #8 of 15 Old July 16th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Regular

post #9 of 15 Old July 17th, 2012, 06:40 PM
AmericanMuscle.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr View Post
I don't mean any disrespect to Am Muscle, but the Raxiom projectors are not HID projectors, they are halide projectors, and not very good at that. I suggest if you want real projectors, with HID lights that are as safe as the Lexus, or Ford OEM projectors, you do one of the following:

1. Buy morimoto projectors and pull apart your OEM or Raxion projectors, and retrofit the Moris in place of the Raxioms. This is relatively easy, and there are threads which show how this is done, using an oven and basic hand tools. You will need to pry the cover off of the headlight to retrofit the projectors. theretrofitsource.com has everything you need to do this yourself.

2. You can have a retrofitter do the replacement, and turn your OEM or Raxiom headlights into projectors. This will cost from $400 - $1000, depending on your wish list and amount of modifications you want to do. I recommend sickhids.com

This is a much cleaner option than sticking HIDs into the Raxioms, and will last for years to come. I have a 2011 V6 Mustang and I had my OEMs retrofitted by sickhids and they work great. No flicker, no humming, no problems when the weather gets wet.
frankr,

This is true, they're not HID projectors. We don't suggest running HID's in factory and Raxiom housings in case they melt. However, I've seen plenty of our customers run low 35 watt HID's in both housings without any issues. This may be the route you want to take, we just don't suggest it from AM.

Let us know how you make out!

Shane

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #10 of 15 Old July 17th, 2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Short throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
frankr,

This is true, they're not HID projectors. We don't suggest running HID's in factory and Raxiom housings in case they melt. However, I've seen plenty of our customers run low 35 watt HID's in both housings without any issues. This may be the route you want to take, we just don't suggest it from AM.

Let us know how you make out!

Shane
which HIDs are low 35watts? does that depend on whether they are like 6k or 8k HIDS? thanks

sent from THE FUTURE.

post #11 of 15 Old July 18th, 2012, 06:02 PM
AmericanMuscle.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MustangMan_ View Post
which HIDs are low 35watts? does that depend on whether they are like 6k or 8k HIDS? thanks

sent from THE FUTURE.
There's 35 watt and 55 watt HID's. I believe you can get any type lighting 5k, 6k, 8k, but the color/brightness isn't as intense with the 35watt, oppose to 55watt. I'm not positive if they go throughout all the ranges, but I have personally seen them in 5k, and 6k.

Hope this helps some, maybe someone can chime in that has more experience with HID's.

Shane

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #12 of 15 Old July 18th, 2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Short throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
There's 35 watt and 55 watt HID's. I believe you can get any type lighting 5k, 6k, 8k, but the color/brightness isn't as intense with the 35watt, oppose to 55watt. I'm not positive if they go throughout all the ranges, but I have personally seen them in 5k, and 6k.

Hope this helps some, maybe someone can chime in that has more experience with HID's.

Shane
that def helps thanks! and yes I hope someone chimes in too!

sent from THE FUTURE.

post #13 of 15 Old December 30th, 2013, 07:44 PM

Buddy ordered smoked Projector lights from AM. Love the site dont get me wrong... they were shit.. adjustments broke.. with HIDs still couldnt see. Best way to get the Projector style is just like they said.. RETRO fit them. its worth the money honestly. I run HIDS in factory head lights all the time. never have an issue.. cheaper systems will melt a housing yes.. but if you buy a system that is made well you wont have any issues
post #14 of 15 Old January 16th, 2014, 02:19 AM
"Junior, hold my hat!"

I just pulled my smoked lights off and replaced them with clear stockers I bought from AM! Couldn't see a damn thing with the smoked lenses at night and we don't have street lights in the town where I live. Smoked headlights look great but I needed better illumination so for $245 I went back to clear stockers.
post #15 of 15 Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:32 PM

Ebay has them good price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page