EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old April 13th, 2013, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads

Just bought an 06 GT Premium with stock brake set up. The rotors are in great shape. Braking was good but I thought some premium brake pads might make a big difference. Did some research and narrowed things down to Hawk or EBC and decided on EBC Red Stuff Pads. I paid just over $210 with tax for the fronts and rears.

The pads look fantastic. Red ceramic pads offset with black label with the EBC logo. So they look good and fit right into the calipers without any trouble in the front and rear. Installed exactly the same way as the pads I pulled out which were brand new.

What a difference these pads make in stopping distance. These pads bite great when cold and in rainy conditions. No fade that I notice with consistent braking. I didn't want to spend thousands on a big brake kit since I don't track the car.

EBC Red stuff pads install easily, are quiet (no noise whatsoever) and they help my GT brake like an M3. I can stop on a dime now without locking up the wheels or triggering the ABS. A great performance upgrade for $200 and really easy to install.

You will need some deep metric sockets for this job and a Caliper compression tool for the rear brakes. The front calipers can be compressed with an old brake pad and channel locks. You will need a special caliper tool to unwind/compress the rear calipers. Autozone will allow you to borrow the tool you need for free! I went to my local Autozone and gave them a credit card as a "hold" and they gave me the tool to borrow for free and it worked perfectly.

I opted to paint my calipers red while I had the wheels off and was replacing the pads. I bought a caliper paint kit at NAPA for $25 bucks and painted all four calipers with a nice brush I also bought. I put three to four coats on each caliper and the paint looks great. I used less than half a can so I still have plenty left over to paint them again in a few years if the original coat begins to fade.

In my case swapping out the brake pads caused my E Brake to loosen up a bit. To tighten the E Brake I simply opened the center console and popped off the little access door adjacent to the rear of the Ebrake handle. Pull up just a bit on the Ebrake handle and the adjustment nut is in a position where you can easily put a 10mm deep socket on it. Using a 10 mm deep socket, short extension and ratchet I tightened the Ebrake back to spec with ten or fifteen turns of the nut.

Now my GT stops on a dime and the calipers look great too. I give EBC Redstuff brake pads a score of 5 gold stars. Highly recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old April 17th, 2013, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

EBC Red Stuff Update

I thought I would update my review on the EBC Red Stuff pads now that they have been on the car for more than one week.

They are creating far more dust than the pads they replaced which were not performance pads but I would make that trade any day because the stopping power has increased four fold. The grab great in the rain and when hot or cold and there's no sign of any fade when the pads are under duress and the rotors are hot under extended breaking. My BMW M3s used to break like this and those pads created a lot of dust too so I'm used to this trade off.

The brakes are still not making any noise whatsoever which is nice. There is an initial coating that needs to be dispersed around the rotors and I'm wondering if they will create less dust once they are fully burnished.

I'll update everybody on the brake dust situation in a couple of months to see if these pads are just going to be dusty pads. Like I said I'm accustomed to heavy dust from having M3s and the way these pads stop the car I will gladly trade dust for the big time performance upgrade.
post #3 of 7 Old April 24th, 2013, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

Pics of the painted calipers and EBC Red Stuff pads on the front of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Painted Caliper n EBC Red Stuff Pads.jpg
Views:	4739
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	37913  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old April 25th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Regular

Sweet deal, I am looking into brake pads at the moment and this is a great write up.
post #5 of 7 Old April 30th, 2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

Glad you found the write up helpful. The front pads were throwing off a ton of dust for the first couple of weeks as the initial coating was being spread around the rotor. I believe the pads are now down to the ceramic because they are supposed to be low dust pads and the rears are creating almost no dust and the fronts are creating much less dust in the last week or so.

I picked up some white Pony decals designed for painted brake calipers and put them on the fronts and rears as a nice little extra touch. The white really stands out against the red calipers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	38096   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0249.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	38097  
post #6 of 7 Old May 25th, 2013, 01:01 PM

Are these better than the Hawks?
post #7 of 7 Old May 27th, 2013, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

CuznLou...I can't really say because I have not run Hawks in a GT. I have about 4000 miles on these pads now (trips to Canada and PA) and I'm very pleased with them. I would find it hard to believe another pad would have equal stopping power but it's always possible.

Brake dust on the fronts is heavy after initial install and burnishing. After about 1,000 miles or so the dust is reduced by about 80%.

Pads aren't making any noise and break well hot, cold or wet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page