Ford Racing Valve Cover Review (Ford Blue) - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old April 16th, 2013, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

Ford Racing Valve Cover Review (Ford Blue)

Saw some pics of the three different Ford Racing valve covers offered by American Muscle and looked at some pics of engine bays of Mustangs where guys had installed them and fell in love with the Ford Racing Blue covers. To me the Ford Blue covers really makes the engine bay pop and I'm going to a car show in May so I figure why not.

Did my homework and found a great DYI thread with photos at one of the Mustang forums. Big thank you to the fella that posted those pics and instructions because it gave me the confidence I could do this project.

Removed all of the coils and connectors on the passenger side then removed the valve cover. Had to snake it though the wire harness but with a little patience it came off just fine.

Installed the passenger side Ford Racing valve cover by snaking it through the wire harness the same way the factory cover came out. Re-installed the coils and plugged everything back in and fired the car up and it sounded great and ran great. The reason I fired it up after installing only one valve cover was just to see if it was running properly after connecting everything back up on that side and since it was running great I knew if there were any problems after the installation was complete it was on the driver side of the motor.

Removed the driver side coils and then removed the valve cover and snaked it through the wire harness. Then I installed the Ford Racing valve cover and connected the coils and plugs and hooked up the wire harness. Fired the motor up and once again it was running great.

This installation went without a hitch. No frozen bolts, no snapped bolts or broken parts or problems. I love the fact the Ford Racing valve covers come with the gasket already seated in the covers and the necessary connecting necks and plastic inserts are on board and don't need to be removed from the factory valve covers and moved over to the new valve covers. The only thing I had to remove from the Driver side cover was the oil fill neck which was very easy and installed in the new covers with a simple twist.

I love the look of the blue covers. They really make the engine bay pop and for just under $300 they are a very nice upgrade. I could have pulled off the OEM covers and painted them blue and re installed them and that would have been a great upgrade too and an even bigger savings but I opted for the Ford Racing covers because they are powder coated and laser etched.

Took her for a test drive and she's purring like a kitten. No signs of any oil leaks or clearance problems. This was a fun project especially since I don't have a lift and I was able to do it standing up and the valve cover bolts are pretty easy to get to and the covers are pretty easy to get off.

I was taking my time and took a few breaks here and there to rest my back. It took me about 3 1/2 hours to complete the project and I'm glad I invested the time and money. I also bought the Ford Racing engine cover which really goes well with the new valve covers and makes a world of difference dressing up the engine and giving it a finished looks.

I've only had her out for a test drive since the install but so far I'm completely satisfied with the Ford Racing valve covers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old April 24th, 2013, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

Finally had a sunny day to get some pics of the cam covers and engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford Racing Cam Cover Close up.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	37915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Bay 2.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	37916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine cover and throttle body.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	37917  
post #3 of 9 Old July 13th, 2013, 09:44 PM

Can't believe no one posted this but it looks really nice man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old July 13th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I love to skydive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkikus View Post
Can't believe no one posted this but it looks really nice man.
+1

MM is awful. Don't ever come here if you haven't been sucked in already!
post #5 of 9 Old July 13th, 2013, 09:46 PM
gtscrewd

Yup one of my favorite earlier mods. The factory covers are bla aaa looks good.

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
post #6 of 9 Old July 13th, 2013, 09:48 PM
'Murica

Garage
Those are clean I like it.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
post #7 of 9 Old November 27th, 2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

Thanks guys. Seven months later I'm still thrilled with the upgrade. Lots of complements at the car shows this summer and I took home one trophy. Really easy mod and not too expensive for the powder coated Cam Covers. The Ford Racing Blue seem to pop a bit more in the engine bay than the black or chrome but they are all fantastic.

Saw a guy that used Mothers polish on his take off Cam Covers and shined them up so they were as nice as chrome. Saw another guy that bought some take offs cheap and painted them Ford Blue. They also looked good.
post #8 of 9 Old April 20th, 2014, 05:05 AM

+1
post #9 of 9 Old June 25th, 2014, 06:51 PM

It would have been cool to have as an option from the factory for painted covers. I have a wrinkle black set with a custom engraving. I dig your blue set!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page