OEM Style Replacement Headlights - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old January 16th, 2014, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

OEM Style Replacement Headlights

Bought these OEM style replacement headlights for my 2006 Mustang GT convertible from American Muscle. Mustang Stock Replacement Headlights - Pair (05-09 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

They came with the bulbs and seem to be well made. The lenses are very clear and should project light well. They match up very well with the stock headlights I removed. The lenses, reflectors, bulbs and beam adjustment mechanisms all look the same. If you're looking to replace beat up stock headlights with nearly exact replacements these lights should do the trick.

Installation of the lights is a bit more complex than we might like in a perfect world but luckily there are several really good You Tube video tutorials for this DIY project. I watched two or three of the DIY vids before attempting the installation and as always it was a big help.

To install the headlights you need some basic hand tools like screw drivers and and sockets. Here are the basic instructions.

1. Remove the plastic shroud covering the radiator by using a flat blade screw driver to pop up the plastic rivets holding it in place.

2. Remove the front grille by pushing in on the upper and lower tabs on each side. Twist the fog light bulb sockets and allow them to hang on the vehicle as you remove the grille and set it aside.

3. Turn the wheels hard left and remove the screws and plastic rivets holding the splash guards in place inside the wheel well behind the driver side tire. Remove the front and rear splash guards.

4. Cut the wheel hard right and repeat the process on the passenger side.

5. Twist the bulb sockets on the driver side and passenger side and remove the turn signal light, parking light and head light and allow them to rest on the vehicle.

6. There is one bolt on the driver's side and one bolt on the passenger side holding the bumper cover in place. Remove both bolts, lift up on the bumper cover a bit and remove the bumper cover and set it down on a blanket or piece of cardboard to keep it from getting scratched.

7. Remove the bolt on top of the headlight bracket and the two on the bottom of the headlight bracket on the driver's side and passenger's side and slide the factor headlights off the chassis.

8. the brackets and holes on the new headlights lined up with the chassis perfectly. Install the new headlights, plug in the bulbs and re-assemble the vehicle in the reverse order that it was disassembled.

I took my time doing this job after having watched the DIY videos and it took me about two hours from start to finish.

The new headlights look fantastic. I tested the lights in all of the positions and they function perfectly. The last thing I need to do is drive at night and see if I need to adjust the headlights.

This project is a bit of work but if your stock headlight lenses are cracked, chipped, yellowed or too dark it's well worth the two hours it takes to install new headlight lenses. I'm very pleased with the apparent quality of the product and with the way they fit right in as if they were original equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old January 16th, 2014, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

Here's a pic of the stock style headlights I bought from AM to replace the originals which were dingy and chipped and had hairline cracks in them. The bracket holes lined up perfectly and they are seated on the chassis exactly like the OEMs...they aren't proud of the metal or crooked...look like they were there all along except now I will be able to see at night! Woooot, Woooot!!!

Car is garaged and covered for the winter and I don't have enough room in the front of the garage to get a pic of the whole front end. Sorry fellas.

If we get a nice sunny day I may fire it up and back it out and take a pic of the entire front end and update the thread.

Haven't tested the lights on a drive so I can't comment yet on the most important aspect...nighttime illumination, but as far as fit and finish, quality and how well the brackets lined up with the mounting holes and how they fit on the car once they are installed it's all good so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers Headlight Closeup.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	74385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eleanor Grille Pony & Tribar.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	78721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stang with Pony & Tribar.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	78729  

Last edited by RideSallyRide; February 2nd, 2014 at 03:22 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old April 16th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Regular

They look almost identical to regular headlights. Installation seems like a pain lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old April 16th, 2014, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

Installation is more complex than it should be. You shouldn't have to remove the entire bumper cover and wheel well covers to replace your headlight lens. Regardless, it's not that hard and my night time visibility has improved five fold from the dingy lenses that I replaced so it was worth the effort and expense of the new light kits...and they look great!

"Next time you pass a cop in an unmarked vehicle you better know the speed limit...especially in this car...it stands out!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page