Magic Drift Chin Spoiler - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old April 9th, 2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

Magic Drift Chin Spoiler

So I like the look of a chin spoiler but don't like the idea of paying $200 to $300 for a piece of plastic especially one that is likely to get beat up by debris. Solution....search the internet for somebody that's making one in China for around $100. Enter Magic Drift! I believe I found them on Ebay where roughly $100 gets you a decent enough black plastic chin spoiler that can be installed as is or painted to match your car.

Figured I'd paint mine to match so I went to the internet and ordered a can of Automotive Touch up brand Tungsten gray metalic that is specifically supposed to match the color of my car. Figure about $25 for the spray can plus shipping. Stupid me...forgot to ask or read the spec to see if their paint adheres to plastic. Kind of important when you're painting a plastic part! Quick trip to the hardware store and I find a spray can of Clear Coat for $5 that is designed to adhere to plastic. Purchased some 3M tape which is recommended by Magic Drift to adhere the part to the plastic bumper fascia. So that should be everything. Now I just need a warm spring day.

Today it finally hit 60 and was sunny so I pulled out my supplies and painted the chin spoiler with the Tungsten Gray Metallic. Went on well and dried in just a few minutes. Sprayed it evenly until the black was fully covered by the gray. Doesn't seem like this paint is designed to adhere to plastic...time will tell. I'll find a color match designed for plastic next time if this doesn't work and I have to take it off and repaint it. So if you're doing this project be sure to get the right paint...don't be a dope like me and have to hope it works out!

Gave it about four coats of clear over the course of the day. The clear is designed to bond to the plastic so I'm hoping the clear will protect the gray even if the gray isn't bonded like it should be. Whatever...easy enough to do it again the right way if I screwed it up this time.

Did a test fit of the chin spoiler before I painted it and it slips right over the bumper fascia and is a perfect fit and looks exactly as I thought it would and as advertised. For $100 I'm a happy camper. The spoiler fits so snug you could almost get away without fastening it until you start blowing doughnuts and smoking the tires which is when it might fall off.

Happened to have a bunch of brand new 1/4" plastic fasteners that I determined would be much better for this job than tape. Pulled out the cordless drill and drilled two 1/4" holes on the underside of the chin spoiler and through the bottom of the plastic bumper fascia then pushed the fasteners through the holes until they snapped in place. Ford couldn't have done it better from the factory! Turned the wheels to clear the wheel well opening and drilled a hole through the side of the chin spoiler and the inside plastic wheel well cover then snapped the fastener through the spoiler and wheel well cover holding it in place perfectly on each side. Four fasteners is plenty.

Had to jack the front end of the car up a bit in order to be able to get the clearance I needed to get the cordless drill and bit under the chin spoiler and fascia so I could drill my two fastener holes from the bottom up.

The whole project including painting the chin spoiler took me about one hour and quite a bit of that was time spent allowing the clear coat to dry.

Haven't decided yet if I'm going to bother putting red stripes on it. Maybe/maybe not. Will wait and see if the paint holds up first.

Couldn't be happier with the chin spoiler so far given the fact it only cost me around $100 or $130 plus a $30 in spray paint. It's not perfect as if a body shop did it but it's good enough especially since I drive the car hard and it's not a trailer queen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chin Spoiler.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	94586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chin Spoiler Close up.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	94594  

"Next time you pass a cop in an unmarked vehicle you better know the speed limit...especially in this car...it stands out!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old April 9th, 2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

Here's the paint and clear I used as well as the plastic fastener.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fastener.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	94602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	94610  

"Next time you pass a cop in an unmarked vehicle you better know the speed limit...especially in this car...it stands out!"
post #3 of 12 Old April 9th, 2014, 10:32 PM
Enthusiast

Looks good OP! I never got a chin spoiler for the same reason, seems expensive for a piece of plastic that's probably going to get beat up.

Heartthrob A/B -- Steeda CAI & Tune -- AM Billet Grille --BMR LCAs -- BMR Springs -- Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts -- Barton Shifter/Two Post

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old April 9th, 2014, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

Thanks Roo. Yeah...three hundy is too much for a bit of plastic! Ole Magic Drift worked out great today! Love your 5.0. Roo. Took one for a test drive a couple of weeks ago...what an upgrade from the 289! Soooooooooo easy to spin the wheels with that Coyote power! What a motor!

post #5 of 12 Old April 10th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideSallyRide View Post
Thanks Roo. Yeah...three hundy is too much for a bit of plastic! Ole Magic Drift worked out great today! Love your 5.0. Roo. Took one for a test drive a couple of weeks ago...what an upgrade from the 289! Soooooooooo easy to spin the wheels with that Coyote power! What a motor!
Thank you! yea it's definitely an upgrade, i had a 07 gt before this but once i test drove this one it was instant love and bought it.

Heartthrob A/B -- Steeda CAI & Tune -- AM Billet Grille --BMR LCAs -- BMR Springs -- Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts -- Barton Shifter/Two Post

post #6 of 12 Old April 11th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Regular

Looks good man. I been wanting to do this upgrade myself but also haven't want ed to drop 200+ on it especially when I'll have to pay for it to get painted(don't trust myself to paint stripes.) I'll definitely check out magic drift. Thanks for the review!
post #7 of 12 Old April 13th, 2014, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

Michael...I wouldn't worry about painting the spoiler yourself. Just get a paint that bonds to plastic and that's an exact match for your car and spray it yourself and get a can of clear that bond's to plastic at your local hardware store and you're good to go. Easy project. The gray paint I bought online was advertised as a perfect match to Ford Tungsten Gray metallic and it is. I just forgot to ask if it bonded with plastic. It's holding up pretty well after two days. I'm sure there are Ford color match paints specifically designed to bond to plastic. In fact if anybody reading this knows where we can buy that kind of paint please post a link in this thread.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

We got options tight wads! Here's a link for the Magic Drift Chin Spoiler I bought....

Here are a couple of links for GT chin spoilers that are under $100!!!

Easy project to do yourself. Have fun!

post #8 of 12 Old April 14th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Regular

Thanks for the painting advice. Much appreciated.

Also when I was looking, I saw Late Model Restoration has a cv2 style like the Magic drift for 139.
Mustang-GT-Cv2-Style-Front-Chin-Spoiler

Which is a little cheaper after shipping since the Magic Drift one doesn't qualify for Amazon Prime. Plus they are a sponsor and I think they give a discount to the forum.
post #9 of 12 Old April 14th, 2014, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

Good find. I probably should have bought from Late Model Restoration then if they are a sponsor.

post #10 of 12 Old April 16th, 2014, 12:25 AM
Regular

The one from Late model has some nice customer photos even though that's still a pricey piece of plastic it looks great!
post #11 of 12 Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
"Junior, hold my hat!"

So it turns out the paint did peel off the chin spoiler because I didn't prep, sand or prime the spoiler before I painted it! Shortcuts done in haste never work! So today I removed it and sanded it with fine sandpaper and scuffed it up enough so I could prime it properly with gray primer designed to bond to plastic. Several coats of gray primer which dried quickly. Then several coats of Tungsten Gray Metallic from Automotive touch up. It was easy to see the paint was bonding to the plastic. Finally about four coats of clear. The paint is hard as nails now and looks great and should last the life of the car. I don't think I'll be taking this off again anytime soon.

So when you get your chin spoiler spend the few extra minutes to do it right and sand it then prime it then paint it then cover it all in clear coat. It only takes an extra hour or so to do it right.

post #12 of 12 Old August 11th, 2014, 06:02 AM

I wish there was one for 2013 V6 too....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page