Pypes Catted x-pipe sleeves? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Pypes Catted x-pipe sleeves?

I installed a dual exhaust with a Pypes catted x-pipe on my '99 V6 this week, but I have leaks at the headers. Turns out I didn't put in the sleeves that are supposed to go there. I bought it used from a guy on 3.8 forums but that was about a year ago and he never included them. I've e-mailed Pypes for the past week with no response from either Tech or Sales Dept.

I was just wondering if there's anywhere else I can buy similar sleeves? If not, I guess calling Pypes on Monday would be my only chance IF they sell them separately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old April 24th, 2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Anybody got any ideas on this?
post #3 of 13 Old April 24th, 2011, 07:16 PM
MOAR BOOST

Garage
Idk what to tell you to be honest. I can't get my Mac O/R h to stop leaking at the headers.
From what it seems, aftermarket midpipes do NOT actually bolt up to stock manifolds, atleast without leaking.

Turbo Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old April 24th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

sorry you got an xpipe....now that i've said that

since you bought it used the flanges could be warped...pull the midpipe and run it to an exhuast shop...they put a rubber cone in the end and repound it to a tight circle...at least on my GT that's a good way to fix that issue

also a little exhuast gasket maker does wonders to seal up the flanges when reinstalled
post #5 of 13 Old April 24th, 2011, 07:53 PM
MOAR BOOST

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ER THEN I 8ER View Post

since you bought it used the flanges could be warped...pull the midpipe and run it to an exhuast shop...they put a rubber cone in the end and repound it to a tight circle...at least on my GT that's a good way to fix that issue

also a little exhuast gasket maker does wonders to seal up the flanges when reinstalled
seems to be my problem. Warped flanges.

Turbo Build Thread
post #6 of 13 Old April 24th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Regular

I have the same kit here are a few pictures of what it looked like out of the box.

I think you need the top picture, it also came with TWO gaskets which were cheap in quality and I purchased better from the box auto part store down the road. had a problem with my after market header and egr tubes but not with the mid pipe.

Done so far:
windstar, port and polish lower, UDP, aluminum Drive shaft, 3.73lsd, and some other goodies.

Looking for a 4.2 next and maybe some spray.
post #7 of 13 Old April 25th, 2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

I actually pulled off the midpipe this morning. Turns out the sleeves were welded in by the previous owner and they look like they seal good. From what I saw, though, it seems the two arms that attach to the headers are actually placed wider than where they should meet the headers. Not sure if I should get it bent to fit or what?
post #8 of 13 Old April 25th, 2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ER THEN I 8ER View Post

And I might actually do that. Any way to tell visually if they're warped?

Oh and that Jayden James in your avatar is distracting
post #9 of 13 Old April 26th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumoon View Post
I have the same kit here are a few pictures of what it looked like out of the box.

I think you need the top picture, it also came with TWO gaskets which were cheap in quality and I purchased better from the box auto part store down the road. had a problem with my after market header and egr tubes but not with the mid pipe.
I have a pair of these PYPES pipes left over from my exhaust install. My car is still california smog legal which means the stock cats could not be removed. I could not use the Pypes cats or the flanged pipes, only the X itself.

If you want a brand new set of flanged pipes, PM me. They are just taking up space in our apartment and I'd love to see them find a use. I still have the Pypes Cats as well if anybody's interested.

Thanks

Are you absolutely certain you're not pregnant?
post #10 of 13 Old April 27th, 2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetflo View Post
I have a pair of these PYPES pipes left over from my exhaust install. My car is still california smog legal which means the stock cats could not be removed. I could not use the Pypes cats or the flanged pipes, only the X itself.

If you want a brand new set of flanged pipes, PM me. They are just taking up space in our apartment and I'd love to see them find a use. I still have the Pypes Cats as well if anybody's interested.

Thanks
I'll let you know, Jetflo. I'm gonna take the pipe to an exhaust shop tomorrow so let's hope they find the problem
post #11 of 13 Old April 30th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Regular

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post #12 of 13 Old May 1st, 2011, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Stangv6 View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Wait, what?
post #13 of 13 Old May 2nd, 2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Update: Got it fixed today! Turns out the bolts that they had put in, were too weak. They re-aligned everything today and it fits perfectly! Thanks, MM for the suggestions, though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page