exhaust type? - Page 3 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Honestly, im glad 6er brought up the turbo statement. I was asking about exhausts a few months ago and was very persuaded into going LTs. Now im working on a turbo system and I recently found out LTs wont work. Im very glad I never had the $$ to get them at the time because no one mentioned there that it wont work with Turbos. >_> I would be extremely pissed today. I don't think anyone enjoys blowin 500$. Now my exhaust is still stock but im gettin closer to a turbo set up >_> idc for sound at the moment. I like the idea of having a sleeper.

well now that we found out about you going for a turbo then no you will not need longtubes. goodluck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Honestly, im glad 6er brought up the turbo statement. I was asking about exhausts a few months ago and was very persuaded into going LTs. Now im working on a turbo system and I recently found out LTs wont work. Im very glad I never had the $$ to get them at the time because no one mentioned there that it wont work with Turbos. >_> I would be extremely pissed today. I don't think anyone enjoys blowin 500$. Now my exhaust is still stock but im gettin closer to a turbo set up >_> idc for sound at the moment. I like the idea of having a sleeper.
i would go ahead and get the turbo kit finished and have the exhaust made when everything is installed on the car.

Just a six.
post #43 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Regular

For the record everyone i said i would spend 1200 IF NEEDED. I dont want to spend 1200$ on an exhaust, i just was letting him know that i would be willing to spend that much if thats what it took to get a decent exhaust. Im just looking for an a decent exhaust with decent sound. There is other stuff i want tooo get so the less money the better

Edit: P.S. The car as my avatar is a joke.

Up Coming Mods
Dual cat back w/ flowmaster 40s
CAI
Visual shit
Black 2010 Style GT Premium Wheel & Tire Kit - 18x9
SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes (99-04 V6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ER THEN I 8ER View Post
back pressure is a myth...remember that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglax12 View Post
For the record everyone i said i would spend 1200 IF NEEDED. I dont want to spend 1200$ on an exhaust, i just was letting him know that i would be willing to spend that much if thats what it took to get a decent exhaust. Im just looking for an a decent exhaust with decent sound. There is other stuff i want tooo get so the less money the better

then tell us the goals for your car...are you wanting to just make a nice clean DD...a full blown v6...or just drive the v6 until you can save for a GT. Goals are a good thing to have so that you don't make mistakes now that'll cost you money you didn't need to waste.

NOW....seeing that you want to get out cheap. go to a salvage yard and get an hpipe off of a GT..and the over axle tubing...that'll save you a good bit of cash right off the back if the tubings in good condition...if not just ask for OEM tubing when you go to a shop...

for mufflers look into thrush welds....they are the same thing as flowmaster 40's just half the price...so you'll be able to get both mufflers for one 40

now for the install...don't be afraid to walk away from a shop after recieving a quote....if they want your business a good shop will haggle on price..and don't be afraid to tell a shop exactly what you want. Yes they install shit all the time...however they probly don't DD a 3.8/3.9

Overall you should get out between $200-300 depending on install and that pricing includes new tubing (around here)...so depending on how cheap the used tubing you find is that's the extra savings..

if you want to get into something a bit more fun then you cna look into a prochamber...however that's another story
post #45 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:

h pipe with flowmaster 40's or 44's. Get it fabbed up by an exhaust shop for like under 400. Thats a nice moderate exhuast without going crazy.

Whats you plan for this car? ( modding/ daily driver)

-2001 Black Bullitt #895 - Coilovers, Tuned, TSW Mirabeau Wheels Daily, Staggered Hypercoated Saleen Track
-2002 Torch Red Mustang - Lowered, Intake, Exhaust, Sprayed, Gears
- Conqueror of the Nurburgring Norschliefe
post #46 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
then tell us the goals for your car...are you wanting to just make a nice clean DD...a full blown v6...or just drive the v6 until you can save for a GT. Goals are a good thing to have so that you don't make mistakes now that'll cost you money you didn't need to waste.

NOW....seeing that you want to get out cheap. go to a salvage yard and get an hpipe off of a GT..and the over axle tubing...that'll save you a good bit of cash right off the back if the tubings in good condition...if not just ask for OEM tubing when you go to a shop...

for mufflers look into thrush welds....they are the same thing as flowmaster 40's just half the price...so you'll be able to get both mufflers for one 40

now for the install...don't be afraid to walk away from a shop after recieving a quote....if they want your business a good shop will haggle on price..and don't be afraid to tell a shop exactly what you want. Yes they install shit all the time...however they probly don't DD a 3.8/3.9

Overall you should get out between $200-300 depending on install and that pricing includes new tubing (around here)...so depending on how cheap the used tubing you find is that's the extra savings..

if you want to get into something a bit more fun then you cna look into a prochamber...however that's another story
I would love to continue to mod this car. Im just not that experienced in these types of things. So thats why it makes it hard for me to figure out exactly what i need.

My plans are to this summer install a new intake (havent decided whether or not CAI or windstar) 4.10 gears + tlock, and of course this exhaust.

Honestly im not really sure about a turbo because i know pretty much nothing about them and what i would need to do to enable my car to have one.

Up Coming Mods
CAI
Visual shit

Quote:
post #47 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
I would love to continue to mod this car. Im just not that experienced in these types of things. So thats why it makes it hard for me to figure out exactly what i need.

My plans are to this summer install a new intake (havent decided whether or not CAI or windstar) 4.10 gears + tlock, and of course this exhaust.

Honestly im not really sure about a turbo because i know pretty much nothing about them and what i would need to do to enable my car to have one.
well...if you want just looks and the slightest increase in anything the go for a CAI...if you want a cleaner look, more power, and a better investment then check out the windstar intake...if you wanna check in on a turbo setup we have a few guys on here building their setups now, and a few with full blown setups already on the car. Feel free to use the search feature at the top of the page though man to look for most general info...if you can't find your answer that way then hit up a new thread in the v6 section
post #48 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
well...if you want just looks and the slightest increase in anything the go for a CAI...if you want a cleaner look, more power, and a better investment then check out the windstar intake...if you wanna check in on a turbo setup we have a few guys on here building their setups now, and a few with full blown setups already on the car. Feel free to use the search feature at the top of the page though man to look for most general info...if you can't find your answer that way then hit up a new thread in the v6 section
thanks for your help. I guess ill just take it one step at a time and make sure i know everything i need too before i start throwin down cash.

Up Coming Mods
CAI
Visual shit

Quote:
post #49 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
thanks for your help. I guess ill just take it one step at a time and make sure i know everything i need too before i start throwin down cash.
if you want to get out for cheap and just make yourself happy for a good while...go to advance auto and buy two thrush welds for $39 each...right now they have a coupon going so that if you spend at least $75 you get $10 off so that's good right there.

go to an exhaust shop and tell them you want the y-pipe off...have them weld up some tubing and weld in the thrush's...then have them add in some angled tubing to dump the exhaust right after the mufflers...

this will be a very cheap exhaust setup that i've done a few times that's not only an ok sounding exhaust, but will help keep the mod bug at bay until you decide things down the road

take this pic to them and tell them to copy it
post #50 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
if you want to get out for cheap and just make yourself happy for a good while...go to advance auto and buy two thrush welds for $39 each...right now they have a coupon going so that if you spend at least $75 you get $10 off so that's good right there.

go to an exhaust shop and tell them you want the y-pipe off...have them weld up some tubing and weld in the thrush's...then have them add in some angled tubing to dump the exhaust right after the mufflers...

this will be a very cheap exhaust setup that i've done a few times that's not only an ok sounding exhaust, but will help keep the mod bug at bay until you decide things down the road

take this pic to them and tell them to copy it
the thrush welds sound like a great deal. So tell them to take the y pipe completely off and then just have them add the thrush welds on and then angled tubing at the end?

Up Coming Mods
CAI
Visual shit

Quote:
post #51 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
the thrush welds sound like a great deal. So tell them to take the y pipe completely off and then just have them add the thrush welds on and then angled tubing at the end?
pretty much..if you look in the pic there's tubing in front of the mufflers going to the cats..that's all the tubing you'd have to pay for from the shop for this type of setup. along with the tips...those ran me $5 each for the shop to just make since i didn't need chrome or SS since they are hidden...although make sure they shorten then turndown tips a bit...those stuck out a bit too far for my taste and i ended up cutting off a few inches myself later on...
post #52 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
pretty much..if you look in the pic there's tubing in front of the mufflers going to the cats..that's all the tubing you'd have to pay for from the shop for this type of setup. along with the tips...those ran me $5 each for the shop to just make since i didn't need chrome or SS since they are hidden...although make sure they shorten then turndown tips a bit...those stuck out a bit too far for my taste and i ended up cutting off a few inches myself later on...
Alright ill make sure to bring the pic to show the shop. Also your saying if i wanted to upgrade down the road it could be done? Also, Kind of a dumb question, what parts of the exhaust actually are the ones that make the sound. Is this the mufflers or what? And finally since your recommending this setup and from what you've explained its pretty basic (which is probably perfect for me since im a newbie) what kind of sound will i get compared to the stock exhaust i have now?

Up Coming Mods
CAI
Visual shit

Quote:
post #53 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Alright ill make sure to bring the pic to show the shop. Also your saying if i wanted to upgrade down the road it could be done? Also, Kind of a dumb question, what parts of the exhaust actually are the ones that make the sound. Is this the mufflers or what? And finally since your recommending this setup and from what you've explained its pretty basic (which is probably perfect for me since im a newbie) what kind of sound will i get compared to the stock exhaust i have now?
let me answer the questions in some sort of order to help you out...

1. yes you can upgrade down the road...you aren't spending alot with this one so you won't feel so bad if you ever have to scrap it for something else..

2. the sound comes from the engine...what the mufflers do is change the tone...midpipes, tubing size, mufflers...they all play a roll in how the overall tone can sound.

3. as for sound...as long as the muffler shop you go to angles the tip and remember this...do not let them point them toward the ground. it'll be loud, not ricerish, and make you happy when you start up your car. (i'm gonna try to find an old vid of mine)

can't find a good one of my old setup...so basically this...but louder

post #54 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Regular

Flowmaster 40s with an offroad H

A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in,witchcraft happens and you go faster~Jeremy Clarkson
post #55 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plak424 View Post
Flowmaster 40s with an offroad H
why pay for flowmaster name when there's thrush's for half the price? just asking your opinion on this...
post #56 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
let me answer the questions in some sort of order to help you out...

1. yes you can upgrade down the road...you aren't spending alot with this one so you won't feel so bad if you ever have to scrap it for something else..

2. the sound comes from the engine...what the mufflers do is change the tone...midpipes, tubing size, mufflers...they all play a roll in how the overall tone can sound.

3. as for sound...as long as the muffler shop you go to angles the tip and remember this...do not let them point them toward the ground. it'll be loud, not ricerish, and make you happy when you start up your car. (i'm gonna try to find an old vid of mine)

can't find a good one of my old setup...so basically this...but louder

YouTube - V6 Mustang Thrush Dual Exhaust
ok so have them angle the sort of outward like the pic? And that seems like a pretty good sound to me.

Up Coming Mods
CAI
Visual shit

Quote:
post #57 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
ok so have them angle the sort of outward like the pic? And that seems like a pretty good sound to me.
yeah...expect the first couple of months to be a bit high pitched...but once everything wears in you're golden...and yes have them angle the turndowns...if not the vibration will annoy the hell out of you...i had them straight down for around 4 months...tried adding dead mat material to the underside to help and it didn't...took the car to the shop..had them cut the turndowns...angle them and weld them back on..problem solved
post #58 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
yeah...expect the first couple of months to be a bit high pitched...but once everything wears in you're golden...and yes have them angle the turndowns...if not the vibration will annoy the hell out of you...i had them straight down for around 4 months...tried adding dead mat material to the underside to help and it didn't...took the car to the shop..had them cut the turndowns...angle them and weld them back on..problem solved
ok thanks for the tip. You have been a tremendous help to me and also are saving me alot of money with this set-up, which i am very excited to do now.
So thanks again and ill be sure to ask you if i have any more questions because you are very knowledgeable.

Up Coming Mods
CAI
Visual shit

Quote:
post #59 of 74 Old April 29th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
ok thanks for the tip. You have been a tremendous help to me and also are saving me alot of money with this set-up, which i am very excited to do now.
So thanks again and ill be sure to ask you if i have any more questions because you are very knowledgeable.
no problem...just comes from having done that setup at one point. it's become an obsession of mine to change exhausts from time to time. hell right now i have side pipes with a prochamber...i dislike the side pipe with a passion, but like the prochambers tone...so i've got another exhaust about to go on that'll fix that issue...should also give it a nice new tone

btw...from when i did that dumped exhaust i spent

-$39+tax a piece for two thrush welded mufflers (2.5")
-$100+tax in tubing, hangers, and install

like i said...don't be afraid to tell a shop if you think they are trying to charge you too much. i'm sure you'll be very happy man
post #60 of 74 Old April 30th, 2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
no problem...just comes from having done that setup at one point. it's become an obsession of mine to change exhausts from time to time. hell right now i have side pipes with a prochamber...i dislike the side pipe with a passion, but like the prochambers tone...so i've got another exhaust about to go on that'll fix that issue...should also give it a nice new tone

btw...from when i did that dumped exhaust i spent

-$39+tax a piece for two thrush welded mufflers (2.5")
-$100+tax in tubing, hangers, and install

like i said...don't be afraid to tell a shop if you think they are trying to charge you too much. i'm sure you'll be very happy man
you know i was just looking online at Advanced auto and if you order online you can get 15% off and a 50$ off coupon for your next order. considering just ordering them.

Up Coming Mods
CAI
Visual shit

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page