How To: 99-04 V6 Oil Seperator - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Not A Regular Member

How To: 99-04 V6 Oil Seperator

I've seen a number of write-ups for these but I haven't seen one for 99-04 V6s. I did all of this for around $15 as opposed to paying $70+ for a pre-made kit. It's not as pretty, but it should do the trick. So here we go

Materials:

1. Air/Water Separator or clear in-line fuel filter. I went with a $5 oil/water separator that was intended for use with air compressors.

2. Barbed hose adapters. You'll want 3/8" x (size needed for filter). 3/8" will fit the hose we use perfectly and the second number will depend on the filter you buy. I used 3/8" x 1/4" barbed hose adapters.

3. 3/8" hose. You don't need a whole lot. I used maybe 2' total.
Do not use the hose pictured below. It will not withstand the vacuum from the engine and will collapse. I will find a better hose asap.

4. Some decent quality tape may be useful as well as a few zip ties.

5. A wrench (or two) that fit your barbed hose adapters.

Costs:

1. Air/Water Separator: $5
2. 2 Barbed hose adapters: $5 ($2.50 each)
3. 3/8" hose: $2.50 (for 4')
4. Tape/zip-ties: You probably already have them
5. Wrenches: You better already have them

Now let's get on to actually putting this thing together and installing it. Go ahead and put your barbed hose adapters onto your filter. You'll need a wrench to get them tight.

1. Pop the PCV line out of the driver side valve cover. Make sure the fitting comes out as well because it will make the next bit easier (giving you a little more to grab onto).

2. You'll see that the PCV line running from the upper intake and the fitting for the valve cover are held together by a coupler. Separate these 3 pieces. They may be stuck together well but a little twisting will loosen them up quickly.

3. Keep ahold of the valve cover fitting and the little piece that connects to it but the coupler is no longer needed. Throw it in the back of your garage like I did if you'd like.

4. At this point you need to figure out where you'd going to mount your filter. Depending on the filter style/size/weight you maybe have to drill holes or you may be able to get away with a simple zip tie to keep it where you want it. Once you know where you want it, start measuring the hose to that location. I kept my old PCV line in place and connected one end of the new hose to it then ran it to where I wanted the filter, cut the new hose, and did a quick test fit to be sure the hose was long enough. Then put the valve cover fitting into the end of the new hose, plugged it in, then ran the hose to where the filter would be and repeated the cutting/test fitting process.

5. Now you've got your hoses cut and ready to go to break out the filter. Some filters will show which direction they flow or some like mine will just have a picture of one in use and you'll have to figure it out yourself. Either way, you want the flow going towards the upper intake. All you need to do is slide the ends of the hoses over the proper barbed hose adapters. If you're going to be drilling to mount your filter, do that first. If you're just going to zip-tie the filter to something then you can put the hoses on first.

You may not be able to tell, but I just realized I have my filter on backwards. Gonna have to change that lol.

I chose to zip-tie my setup to the vacuum line from the brake booster.

Remember, you DO NOT want any part of your oil separator touching moving parts.

And there you have it. A cheap, not so pretty, oil separator. It took a whole 15 minutes to do and it was my first time ever having a go at this.

When I was finished I was looking at it and noticed that the old PCV line had oil on the end that was in the coupler so it wasn't holding on as well as I wanted. A little tape remedied that.

If this guide works for 94-98 V6s, let me know and I will change the title.

Last edited by McQueen; May 5th, 2011 at 03:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Pays in respect

Good write-up!

2002 Ford Mustang 4.6 GT Coupe

Big Red BOV - B&M Hammer - Procharger P1sc - 3 Core Intercooler - UPR Catted X - SSS Terminators
H&R Super Sports - Bilstein HD
post #3 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Banned

reps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Sweet write up, apperantly I can't give love to you yet? Psh.

What's the point of this though? I'm noob in experience here.
post #5 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Not A Regular Member

Thanks guys It was actually a lot simpler than I thought it was going to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXGREGXX View Post
Sweet write up, apperantly I can't give love to you yet? Psh.

What's the point of this though? I'm noob in experience here.
Haha, I know you love me This little setup is meant to catch the oil coming out of the crank case that would normally go into the engine. Some of the oil would normally get burned up but some of it will also end up gunking up in the engine.
post #6 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Banned

edit.

Last edited by SON1C; May 4th, 2011 at 09:13 PM.
post #7 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Oh you know I love ya Queenie. Anyhow, how much have you caught just driving about for a while? So, it's a preventative measure. Shoot for 15 bones and to help the life of my engine I might just do it tomorrow.
post #8 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh so it's kind of like a preventative measure? Wow I might have to do this, for 15 bones it'll give me something to do lol.
thats what im saying
post #9 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Not A Regular Member

Quote:
Oh you know I love ya Queenie. Anyhow, how much have you caught just driving about for a while? So, it's a preventative measure. Shoot for 15 bones and to help the life of my engine I might just do it tomorrow.
Haven't actually taken it for a drive yet. I finished it up then went inside to write this up since it's getting a little chilly outside. And I was looking at the pics and realized I put the filter on backwards (probably because one of my buddies random pulled up as I was working to bother me lol). So once I flip the filter around and drive for a few days I'll let you know how much it catches.
post #10 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Banned

do oil separators have any negative effects/possible negative effects
post #11 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Not A Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias101a View Post
do oil separators have any negative effects/possible negative effects
Not that I'm aware of. Well, besides having to empty the filter occasionally. But on a positive note, you get to see how much oil would normally be getting sucked into your engine
post #12 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

educate me a little

where is the oil going to collect at? i thought both entrance and exit lines had to be at the top so the oil would collect at the bottom

2004 Bolt on & Cammed 3.9L V6
post #13 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Regular

Now if someone could just come up with a way to take caught oil and return it to the oil pan...

Thanks for the write up will be getting this done this weekend.

Done so far:
windstar, port and polish lower, UDP, aluminum Drive shaft, 3.73lsd, and some other goodies.

Looking for a 4.2 next and maybe some spray.
post #14 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Not A Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt1120 View Post
educate me a little

where is the oil going to collect at? i thought both entrance and exit lines had to be at the top so the oil would collect at the bottom
I've been wondering that a bit as well but the hardware store I stopped at had this style filter (I've seen others use it on other vehicles) or on with both entrances at the top, but that was 5x as much. I'm going to see how it works and if it doesn't work well I'll go find a cheap one with both entrances at the top (I'm sure somewhere like Harbor Freight would carry a cheap one). I may remount it so that it sits on its side as well.
post #15 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
I've been wondering that a bit as well but the hardware store I stopped at had this style filter (I've seen others use it on other vehicles) or on with both entrances at the top, but that was 5x as much. I'm going to see how it works and if it doesn't work well I'll go find a cheap one with both entrances at the top (I'm sure somewhere like Harbor Freight would carry a cheap one). I may remount it so that it sits on its side as well.
yeah they may work then. i was thinking about making my own catchcan out of pvc. what section of the hardware store did you find these filters at, i might take a look there tomorrow to see what they have.

post #16 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Regular

If you look closely at the filter you'll notice the outlet for the bottom hose is raised off the bottom of the filter, and there appears to be a piece of something (I'd imagine its the filter itself) between the inlet and outlet hoses) I think oil pools in the bottom part of the container. Is this container plastic or glass?

Done so far:
windstar, port and polish lower, UDP, aluminum Drive shaft, 3.73lsd, and some other goodies.

Looking for a 4.2 next and maybe some spray.
post #17 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Not A Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt1120 View Post
yeah they may work then. i was thinking about making my own catchcan out of pvc. what section of the hardware store did you find these filters at, i might take a look there tomorrow to see what they have.
I found them in the section with the air compressors and air tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumoon View Post
If you look closely at the filter you'll notice the outlet for the bottom hose is raised off the bottom of the filter, and there appears to be a piece of something (I'd imagine its the filter itself) between the inlet and outlet hoses) I think oil pools in the bottom part of the container. Is this container plastic or glass?
It's made out of glass.
post #18 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumoon View Post
ahhhhhhhh my eyes didnt catch that. thank you.

post #19 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Just Cheesin'

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Red Pony Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Red Pony
I used one where the inlet/outlet were both on top, just coming out of seperate sides. Still around 20. I ended up welding a bracket to the top and slid it under one of the CC plate bolts so its right on the strut tower. I think it is more convenient because I don't have to fiddle with hoses when draining it.

Yours still looks nice and well done though. A+

271rwhp N/A V6
R.I.P.

SC swap in the works. Slowly but surely.

The Name is Danny. I'm a GM Technician.
Job security.
post #20 of 54 Old May 4th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
I found them in the section with the air compressors and air tools.
alright thanks, i may actually do this tommorow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/v6-mustangs/216906-how-99-04-v6-oil-seperator.html
Posted By For Type Date
Tech - mustang6ers This thread Refback January 15th, 2015 04:08 PM
How-To: The Compilation - V6Mustang.com This thread Refback November 2nd, 2013 08:28 AM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback February 10th, 2013 02:01 PM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback February 9th, 2013 02:29 AM