Kaboom - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Not A Regular Member

Kaboom

Is pretty much what my car did today. I was going out for something to eat, had been driving the car for maybe 5 minutes and it was acting a little funny, but not bad enough that I was worried. Suddenly I've got hardly any power in any gear, then the RPMs just drop until the car dies. I pull off onto a back road (coasted there) so I was out of traffic. Tried starting it a few times and it didn't want to do shit. Popped the hood, hopped out, opened the hood, and found the entire driver side of my engine bay was covered in oil. Looked under the car and oil was dripping from everywhere (it has sprayed all over the wheels, steering column, struts, spring, control arms, lower pulleys, etc). I saw oil leaking pretty steadily from the oil filter and possibly around the oil pan. Pulled the oil cap off the valve cover and it was smoking pretty good.

I ended up calling a buddy who just so happened to be eating at the place I was headed to so I was like 100 yards from him. He had his dad's F250 Super Duty so we borrowed a car dolly and got my car back to my place (fucked up the front bumper bad getting it on the dolly, 4x4 stance is still too low for that shit). Now the car is just sitting there. My buddy thinks I might have thrown a push rod but we're not totally sure.

Any guesses on what's wrong before I go start taking the engine apart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I'm Learning Drugs ΔΧ

maybe the gasket blew on your oil filter or you somehow got a whole in your filter? I know the seal went bad and in mine spewed oil everywhere, ended up being a simple fix.

2000 Laser Red Ford Mustang 3.8-totaled
2003 InfraRed Ford Focus SVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
No, but mine has a giant rubber cock on it
post #3 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Not A Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carney View Post
maybe the gasket blew on your oil filter or you somehow got a whole in your filter? I know the seal went bad and in mine spewed oil everywhere, ended up being a simple fix.
Did your car refuse to start? I'm going to pull the oil filter off first and hopefully that's all it is but I would think it would at least start even with a bad filter. I left drip marks about a half mile down the highway until I stopped and it gushed oil all over the ground where I stopped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Glwf

05 3v GT: Port/Polished Heads, Comp Cam, RAM clutch/flywheel(cryoed)

Precision Turbo @ 12LBS.

4.10 Gears.

460whp/440wtq

S197 Black Hood Club Founding Member #10lb-tryhard
post #5 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Banned

wanna buy my GT

but seriously...i hope you find out the issue. start checking every seal possible
post #6 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T Send a message via Yahoo to ESG-642T
When you try to start it...

It turns over but won't fire?

[CENTER][IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img839/792/esg642t.png[/IMG][/center]

[CENTER]Hi, You can call me Kyle
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]Random ESG fact: Had a prochamber on his v6 before it was popular.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
post #7 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Not A Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESG-642T View Post
When you try to start it...

It turns over but won't fire?
It just tries to crank once and stops. Won't fire. I know there's basically no oil left in the motor. Like I mentioned on FB, I think the oil may have come from the filter. Going to get fresh oil and a new filter in a bit. Praying to god that will get her going but I'm not counting on it.
post #8 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I'm Learning Drugs ΔΧ

Mine grinded terribly when i tried to turn it over but it turend over and started spewing from the filter so i found my problem. couple quarts of and a new filter and good to go

2000 Laser Red Ford Mustang 3.8-totaled
2003 InfraRed Ford Focus SVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
No, but mine has a giant rubber cock on it
post #9 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
It just tries to crank once and stops. Won't fire. I know there's basically no oil left in the motor. Like I mentioned on FB, I think the oil may have come from the filter. Going to get fresh oil and a new filter in a bit. Praying to god that will get her going but I'm not counting on it.
i know it's dumb to ask, but i've seen people do this...when you put the filter on your car did you accidently leave the old seal on the housing w/o noticing and have been running the car since? pressure buildup on that can cause the eruption.
post #10 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Not A Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ER THEN I 8ER View Post
i know it's dumb to ask, but i've seen people do this...when you put the filter on your car did you accidently leave the old seal on the housing w/o noticing and have been running the car since? pressure buildup on that can cause the eruption.
It's been a long time since I changed the oil, but I don't believe I left the oil seal on there. I didn't see it when I pulled the filter off a bit ago but I wasn't really looking for it
post #11 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's been a long time since I changed the oil, but I don't believe I left the oil seal on there. I didn't see it when I pulled the filter off a bit ago but I wasn't really looking for it
couldn't hurt to check
post #12 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Regular

im pretty sure if u threw a rod you would see a nice hole at least thats what happened when a buddy's of mine cummings threw a rod, put a hole clear through the engine block
post #13 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ER THEN I 8ER View Post
I did this when I changed the oil on my F250 in the dark, it smelled like burning oil after 5 mins of driving so I pulled back home and realized it was slowly spraying oil everywhere. Im lucky it got on the exhaust manifold because if it didnt burn I wouldnt have noticed until it was too late.

McQueen, If you ran your car w/o oil for too long and it wont turn over, you might be preparing for the worst. Good news is used 3.8s are out there for pretty cheap.

2001 Mustang V6- Sold
2014 Focus ST
post #14 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Regular

sounds like a good excuse to go 4.2 to me just saying... I hope its something as simple as a bad filter.

Done so far:
windstar, port and polish lower, UDP, aluminum Drive shaft, 3.73lsd, and some other goodies.

Looking for a 4.2 next and maybe some spray.
post #15 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Not A Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Banger View Post
McQueen, If you ran your car w/o oil for too long and it wont turn over, you might be preparing for the worst. Good news is used 3.8s are out there for pretty cheap.
Well I'm pretty sure it's as bad as it gets. I fucked around with it for a while and couldn't get anything. I can hear it tries to crank once then stops. Pretty sure it's seized And yeah, 3.8s are cheap but I'm moving 400 miles south in like 6 days plus I'm flat broke at the moment. So I think tomorrow I'll pull the black wheels off, put the stock Bullitts back on, take some pics, and put this bitch up on CL.
post #16 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 09:44 PM
MM Fanatic

That blows man, I'm sorry to hear about it. If there was someway to do it, fixing your car would be a lot cheaper than buying another one.

2001 Mustang V6- Sold
2014 Focus ST
post #17 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Well I'm pretty sure it's as bad as it gets. I fucked around with it for a while and couldn't get anything. I can hear it tries to crank once then stops. Pretty sure it's seized And yeah, 3.8s are cheap but I'm moving 400 miles south in like 6 days plus I'm flat broke at the moment. So I think tomorrow I'll pull the black wheels off, put the stock Bullitts back on, take some pics, and put this bitch up on CL.
Try turning the engine with a socket and breaker bar. If it won't turn then it's seized. If the starter just clicks and doesn't crank the engine that's a pretty good indication also.

Sounds like the filter leaked and lost all the oil from the engine.
post #18 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Sounds like you threw a rod in it. How many miles were on it?

btw...Just because you cant see a hole in the block doesnt mean theres not one there. This was the one we just took out of my brothers 98', We could not see it until we removed the engine...

Turbo 4.3 stroker, 6.73 @ 106mph...still tuning
https://moddedmustangs.com/forums/v6-...ker-build.html

Last edited by JTs03v6; June 20th, 2011 at 10:17 PM.
post #19 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Not A Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
Try turning the engine with a socket and breaker bar. If it won't turn then it's seized. If the starter just clicks and doesn't crank the engine that's a pretty good indication also.

Sounds like the filter leaked and lost all the oil from the engine.
We tried turning the crank pulley and pop starting the car. No luck with either. I think tomorrow the car is getting the old wheels put back on and getting listed on CL.
post #20 of 68 Old June 20th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Regular

Just deliver that bitch to my house. You can keep the engine, trans, and your wheels.

Mike

1989 Mustang LX, 2001 Transam WS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302Army187 View Post
I'm going to install an U pipe.

bitch is going to re route the exhaust pulse back out of the intake between intake pulses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page