2000 3.8 Split port motor in 98 Mustang swap - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Exclamation 2000 3.8 Split port motor in 98 Mustang swap

I am trying to swap a 2000 Mustang 3.8 Motor into my 1998 Mustang. I have the 2000 Mustang in my garage and pulled the motor. I was just wondering if anyone has done something like this before and was seeking advice. I know I will need the ECU and harness as well off the 2000. I also know that I will have to do something about the fuel system seeing as they are different. one is a fuel return and one is not. cant remember at the moment. I just want to get some advice before I tread further on thins project.
[/I]
(both are 5speeds) will be rebuilding the motor nothing fancy before reinstalling

I WILL NOT BOTHER WITH THE V8 SWAP SO DON'T ASK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:56 PM
Enthusiast

DO NOT SWAP OVER THE 2000 ECU AND HARNESS. You need the harness for various connectors to be cut and spliced into your current harness. That is all.

You need to extend your fuel lines and use a 96-98 Windstar or E150 fuel rail

Just a question .. What's wrong with the 2000 that you pulled the engine from?

And who the hell is telling everybody to swap over the ECU & wiring harness for a SP swap? I keep seeing this everywhere!

1996 3.8L.. Split Port Swap, CAI, True Dual Exhaust, the car accident mod.

Need cheap parts? CLICK MEEEEEEEEE!! =]
post #3 of 21 Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well first of all thank you for the info. Saves me some work I see you have done the same thing I'm trying to do.The 2000 has a bad impact on the passenger side, thought it was just body but when I pulled the motor I saw that the car had taken too much damage, need a new K member, and the sub frame took too much damage. Just glad I bought it cheap, figured having the whole car would help, now I have spare parts So its not too bad of a swap then hu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:26 AM
Banned

well while you're pulling parts you might also want to look at the front sway bar and see if it's got a thicker one then yours...some did and some didn't have thicker ones...if it is i'd take that too ..

hell can you take the brakes too? i forget
post #5 of 21 Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:30 AM
Enthusiast

Not at all. You will need to get it tuned, though. I used the injectors that came with the newer engine. They're 19 or 21 lbs as opposed to the 14lbs you have now. To do this, however .. You either need to buy pigtail adapter or splice in the pigtails from the newer harness because the connector is different on the injectors. Other than the few things you need to swap over, everything is a piece of cake.

You can part out a lot of that 2000 if you don't need it. Just a heads up, if you like anything in the interior, the interiors are pretty much interchangeable between years. Make a list of everything you don't need and hit up our For Sale forum to make some of your money back. Anything too big to ship, put on Craigslist. You'll come off pretty decent. Especially with a New Edge. Everybody's always looking for spare parts.

post #6 of 21 Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:32 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ER THEN I 8ER! View Post
well while you're pulling parts you might also want to look at the front sway bar and see if it's got a thicker one then yours...some did and some didn't have thicker ones...if it is i'd take that too ..

hell can you take the brakes too? i forget
Good point! The rear brakes are the same as what you have now, but they front brakes on that 2000 are dual piston. Yours are single piston. A GREAT upgrade for our braking systems. Swap 'em over, you won't be sorry

post #7 of 21 Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Good point! The rear brakes are the same as what you have now, but they front brakes on that 2000 are dual piston. Yours are single piston. A GREAT upgrade for our braking systems. Swap 'em over, you won't be sorry
i thought the sn95's had weaker brakes....always good to upgrade your stopping power
post #8 of 21 Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:

F*** Yea, been so wanting to do a break upgrade, Ill take a look at that sway bar too.
post #9 of 21 Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul_Machete View Post
F*** Yea, been so wanting to do a break upgrade, Ill take a look at that sway bar too.
go ahead and order a set of SS brake lines if you have an extra $70....a great upgrade if you like corners like i do
post #10 of 21 Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ER THEN I 8ER! View Post
go ahead and order a set of SS brake lines if you have an extra $70....a great upgrade if you like corners like i do
I LOVE to corner, a little grip, little drift, all fun!
post #11 of 21 Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:40 AM
Raging Mad Motherfucker

Quote:
Are you still lookin for some 99-04 brakes?

and to OP I just posted https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...swap-post.html

Happy swapping

If you cannot seem to spell simple 4 letter words, use some semblance of punctuation when forming sentences, or SpElL N tAlK LiEk ThIs, I'm going to assume you know nothing and are retarded.

The Sixxer is Dead. 94-95GT in the works.
post #12 of 21 Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheeks McDuke View Post

and to OP I just posted https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...swap-post.html

Happy swapping
Swapping the breaks would be nice but one of the calipers took some damage as well, not sure yet. Might be looking for some if there an improvement
post #13 of 21 Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheeks McDuke View Post
Well, I was going to buy them reman, since they'd only be about $90 for the set. But if a better deal comes along, I'll probably jump on it. Kinda low on funds right now, though, so there's no rush for me. lol

post #14 of 21 Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
Raging Mad Motherfucker

Quote:
Well, I was going to buy them reman, since they'd only be about $90 for the set. But if a better deal comes along, I'll probably jump on it. Kinda low on funds right now, though, so there's no rush for me. lol
Well just let me know. I have bunch of V6's in one JY up here and a couple GT's in another. I think they wanted like $20-30 per caliper. I'll have to double check that, just to make sure.

If you cannot seem to spell simple 4 letter words, use some semblance of punctuation when forming sentences, or SpElL N tAlK LiEk ThIs, I'm going to assume you know nothing and are retarded.

The Sixxer is Dead. 94-95GT in the works.
post #15 of 21 Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Cool, I will if I cant use the one on the car now, appreciate it
post #16 of 21 Old April 4th, 2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Can I stick a 150MPH gauge cluster in my 3.8 for the higher MPH, and yes Ill set a safe rev limiter
post #17 of 21 Old April 4th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul_Machete View Post
Can I stick a 150MPH gauge cluster in my 3.8 for the higher MPH, and yes Ill set a safe rev limiter
not without a full calibration...however you're gonna be limited to 115 by the govenor unless you tune it and shut that off...that being said there's no reason to ever need to go over that speed...
post #18 of 21 Old April 4th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Enthusiast

Just because you hit the 120mph indicated on your gauge, doesn't mean you don't keep gaining speed. I've done it, you keep going. Lol. (All in a safe, imaginary environment, of course)

post #19 of 21 Old April 4th, 2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I have a tuner for the car and have already eliminated my rev limiter and governor, that is why I ask. I just think it would be nice to have that since I have already achieved that speed. I'm no crazy street racer or anything but sometimes I do like to see what my car can do
post #20 of 21 Old April 4th, 2012, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Just because you hit the 120mph indicated on your gauge, doesn't mean you don't keep gaining speed. I've done it, you keep going. Lol. (All in a safe, imaginary environment, of course)
Haha I had a 1985 F150 with a 351 and I got the needle to wrap back around to 25 or so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page