Windstar help needed - Page 4 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 147 Old September 9th, 2012, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

I felt around for the IMRC arm, burnt myself, then found out yes one of the arms slipped out but it wont stay in with one of the tabs on the insert broken. Found out autozone sells them, just gotta know what to search for! $5 for 5 of them. But a guy on the facebook group offered to send me some hes got sitting around

In the mean time, I filled the radiator again and cleared the codes. So far with 50 or so miles driven the only code thats came back was the IMRC code, so thats good.

The car stalled out on me this morning trying to back up and turn around to leave the driveway. Attributed that to the vac leak because the idle was jumping all around. When I got to work though I pulled in and parked it and watched the RPM for a little and the gauge didnt move or jump or anything. It just sat at 1000 happy as can be. So the vac leak is only present when the engines cold?

Edit: Was just reading up on IMRC deletes because someone on facebook told me to do that and one person replied "Initially youll have some cold idle stumbling but the PCM will learn to correct fuel requirements and you wont notice a thing after a while."

So it looks like no vac leak! Just gotta get those plastic tabs in and fix the IMRC which I can thankfully do without taking any of the intake apart.

Last edited by GreenShift; September 9th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 147 Old September 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

You found the clips on autozone for 5 bucks for 5! That's awesome! That seller on eBay was a rip off lol....I'm the guy that listed that seller on Facebook hahaha I realized it was you on there when I saw you talking about your windstsr

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2000 saleen

Bullitt manifold swap, mac Lt's, o/r x pipe, borla Atak, Mgw short throw, 3.73 gears, Bilstein shocks/strust, H&r ss springs, caster camber plates, xxr 521 rims, tuned by ortiz performance

00-484
post #63 of 147 Old September 9th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

On my way to auto zone now to get IMRC clips for my truck.

Green how much water have you added to your car so far?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 147 Old September 9th, 2012, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Yeah it was, $29 for 5 little bits of plastic? Hell no. Thanks though, that lead me into googling IMRC clips (didnt think of calling them clips) which lead to a few forum posts that gave a dorman part number then a OEM part number which I put into Autozone and got lucky!

About a half gallon of 50/50 mix so far. I tried putting more in this morning but it was essentially full already. After another ~20 mile drive to work this morning I checked for codes again and it still only says the IMRC so Im in the clear I think. The heat also turned on way faster this morning too. Usually I have warm air coming out in about 2 miles and at first it wasnt warm for like 5 or 6 miles. Now its at about 3 miles so theres probably a little more air in there still

Heres a link to the imrc things: OEM: F5RZ9F955AB | Intake Manifold Vacuum Retain Bshng | AutoZone.com
post #65 of 147 Old September 9th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast

where did you get your vac hose routing diagram im finishing up my swap but not running an egr or pcv

intercooled v1 in progress in search of supercoupe short block...m112 kit for sale along with stage 2 snow boost cooler
post #66 of 147 Old September 9th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

thanks for link, nobody even wanted to look they all just said dealer. I don't think they even knew what i was talking about. Now that I gave them a part # they can get them from their local warehouse, one day.
reps
post #67 of 147 Old September 9th, 2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02edge View Post
where did you get your vac hose routing diagram im finishing up my swap but not running an egr or pcv
My PCV's getting deleted very shortly. Like I said that shit was like tar in my intake, dont want it to clog my newly P+P lower with garbage. As for diagrams I looked at vap's but that was pretty useless IMO. I looked at Slonisons diagrams which were useful when I realized basically every hose needed extending/ T's with a pile of other hoses. (Though Slonison needs a photoshop lesson as to how to make the lines transparent so that you can see whats behind them hehe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 BLUE V6 View Post
thanks for link, nobody even wanted to look they all just said dealer. I don't think they even knew what i was talking about. Now that I gave them a part # they can get them from their local warehouse, one day.
reps
Yeah theyre usually a bunch of know-nothings who just work there and if they cant look it up in their system they dont know where it is..
post #68 of 147 Old September 9th, 2012, 03:40 PM
2013 5.0

Send a message via AIM to slonison
Haha, yea, I was lazy but if it helped then that's all you needed. Glad the car is as least getting you from point a to point b.

Today while driving one of my exhaust tips decided to jump ship. Good thing I was on a residential street.

Steve's House

120+ V6 How-To's

2013Black 5.0
2002 Black Vert - Sold
1998 True Blue Coupe - Totaled
post #69 of 147 Old September 9th, 2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Our cars = Not like mods of any kind Ive decided lol
post #70 of 147 Old September 9th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

one mod requires another and that one requires and on and on

I see you modified your heater hose and cooling bleed off

I did this little mod to help purge cooling system. drilled and taped 1/8
pipe thread and bleed while engine running, it helped a lot. then drilled a hole through manifold to get access, short extension and 7/16 socket.

post #71 of 147 Old September 12th, 2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

FINALLY got the IMRC clips today. I went to my training today and left the hood up in the parkinglot so the engine would cool down and I could put the clip on without burning myself after it was over. Was a bugger to get in without taking the upper off but I managed in. The car feels a fair bit better now. The ~50mile drive home I played around a bit to check for differences. At first if I went at/near WOT the car would downshift and be at ~3500 RPM then all of a sudden it would bog down and drop to 3000rpm very rapidly, did it twice. Later in the drive I went WOT once or twice more and it didnt do it again. It felt pretty buggy at first but was better once I got closer to home.

I got a preliminary 0-80 time in. Was a so-so launch and got about 16 seconds, before I got 15,17,17 so its too early to tell. But I had just got back from the long drive and its still working the kinks out so its looking promising.

Now Im assuming itll take some more driving for the PCM to figure out what WTF's going on so Ill give it some more miles to get shit situated and get some times in, datalog it, get a tune, and get some more times in.
post #72 of 147 Old September 12th, 2012, 08:32 PM
It'll buff out...

I'm by no means knowledgeable in internals, but I'd have to agree that the issues will probably dissipate over time. Or maybe your just not used to the motor reacting differently?

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Always Clean Crew
post #73 of 147 Old September 12th, 2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Meh maybe but a majority of its probably the car re-readjusting. I know the cruise controls all stupid now. Probably because the cable needs to be shortened a bit. Ill set it, itll drop down 5mph, then kick in and go back up to the speed I set it at
post #74 of 147 Old September 13th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Just Cheesin'

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Red Pony Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Red Pony
You have to drive it a while so it can reset the "keep alive". It's takes a few days and it will quit acting up. You're lucky though. After that I don't want to do another windstar kit. . I hope it all runs well. And just remember. You got the upper and lower for cheeper than a VAP kit.

271rwhp N/A V6
R.I.P.

SC swap in the works. Slowly but surely.

The Name is Danny. I'm a GM Technician.
Job security.
post #75 of 147 Old September 13th, 2012, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Pony View Post
You have to drive it a while so it can reset the "keep alive". It's takes a few days and it will quit acting up. You're lucky though. After that I don't want to do another windstar kit. . I hope it all runs well. And just remember. You got the upper and lower for cheeper than a VAP kit.
After that I dont want to INSTALL another windstar kit.

VAP actually sent me an email right after I got your package in the mail. Said something like "Sorry, Im completely discontinuing the kits so you wont be getting one now" I just laughed and deleted it. Took him 2 months to write me 1-2 sentences that would have taken him 5 minutes tops. In that 2 months I got pissed off waiting for a response after the first few weeks, ordered your kit + lower, you built the kit, and I already received it. If you want to sell stuff you need to be able to communicate with your customers in a timely fashion.

Theres a lesson for all of you in customer service. Also Danny > VAP.

Im going to drive it around more today, got paid so Im going to finally get the car retitled in my name and my own insurance and finally start getting credit built. Hopefully in my ventures the CEL goes off and it figures out better what to do with the fuel and whatnot.
post #76 of 147 Old September 13th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Just Cheesin'

Like. Thanks man. Even though mine was a headache for you. Lol.

271rwhp N/A V6
R.I.P.

Job security.
post #77 of 147 Old September 13th, 2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Pony View Post
Like. Thanks man. Even though mine was a headache for you. Lol.
The headaches were 80% my doing, 15% whoever the turd was that machined the intake surface, and 5% you (The throttle cable bracket needed to be moved over like 3/8" or so but no big deal)

My screw ups included:

- Breaking the IMRC clips...Yes plural, I broke 4 of them in total.
- Not getting the clips and fixing the IMRC before putting the upper on, even though I was at the auto store twice and could have done it then and there
- Getting a couple of drops of coolant in my mouth which nearly caused me to barf all over the garage ( While you would think it would be common sense to NEVER EVER try and siphon out coolant using a piece of garden hose, I didnt seem to think that through properly)
- Putting a hole in a gas line on the fuel rail
- Not putting everything where I needed it before putting the upper intake in place and having to go and take it off 3 or 4 times after having it almost completely bolted down.
- And some other stupid things most likely

Car was still acting odd this morning. The IMRC's fixed but it still stalled on me a couple times trying to get out of the driveway. Got a code P1506 IAC over speed. Is it possible to have a vac leak only when the engine is cold? After it warms up it idles perfectly fine, but when I start it in the morning and the engine is probably 50 degrees or so it sputters and fluctuates and stalls. I left the hood up to have it cool down, Ill go out in a few hours and start spraying carb cleaner around and see if I can find anything and if I dont then Ill do it again early tomorrow morning so that the engines cold and maybe itll appear
post #78 of 147 Old September 13th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Just Cheesin'

So it's good to go now I take it?

271rwhp N/A V6
R.I.P.

Job security.
post #79 of 147 Old September 13th, 2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Yeah soon as I figure out if I have a Vac leak or what lol
post #80 of 147 Old September 13th, 2012, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

OK went out earlier, the cars had 4 hours to cool down. Upon start it idled fine so it must not have been cold enough. I sprayed carb cleaner on every hose and gasket surface I could find and couldnt get a peep out of it. I cant find a vac leak while its cold in the morning then Im going to disconnect the battery for a while and see if that will reset the computer so that it resets the air/fuel or whatever the problem is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page