Sct tuning nightmare...what now? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Fee Fie Foe Fum

Sct tuning nightmare...what now?

So I was given an sct handheld tuner for my mustang thatd been used previously on a 98 cobra. Ive know him for.yrs said he had no use for it or knowledge about it. So I plug it in amd it says in the device info that theres 5 unlocks left and device is unmarried. So I assume its okay to tune with.. So I do the strategy tune, select for v6 mustang and then set all my temo sensors and octanes and what not.. Then I tune it. tune successful..then I try to start the car and it wont start..theft light, pats system vehicle disabled... So I tine back to stock..same thing.. Wtf? Did it put the old cobra program in my ecm? If it was unmarried w 5 unlocks available shouldnt have been fine to tune with? Any help will recieve reps hands down.

World's First M112 Singleport Essex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:22 AM
2013 5.0

Send a message via AIM to slonison
If it was unmarried, that means that there shouldn't have been any stock tunes located in it.

When you decided to strategy tune the car, it loads your stock and preserves it in the tuner while the custom tune is loaded on your car. That being said, are you sure that the strategy tune was for a v6 (more importantly, of your year?) I can't help but wonder whether or not the tune for a 1998 v6 would be the same as the tune for a 2000 v6. Maybe, maybe not.

That being said returning the car to stock should have put your stock tune back on the car. Is the car sitting like a paper weight right now?

Steve's House

120+ V6 How-To's

2013Black 5.0
2002 Black Vert - Sold
1998 True Blue Coupe - Totaled
post #3 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Fee Fie Foe Fum

Sure is

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Fee Fie Foe Fum

And it was definately for a v6.. It gave three option the first being mustang v6, 2nd being cobra, amd thrid gt

post #5 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Fee Fie Foe Fum

Now the uear idk... how do I check the tuner? Either way it shouldve went back to what I had from the start hands down when I returned and that has me salty.

post #6 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Fee Fie Foe Fum

I just found an online user manual and it says must remove fuel pump and fan fuses when using the tuner so that nothing is cycling on while you turn the key on and off... if the tuner was unmarried it shouldve been good to use and yes in the manual it does say that its compatible for 94-04 v6 mustangs so maybe me not taking out those fuses is why.. is sure hope so.. im fine with it not tuning my car..but not returning it to stock to where it will RUN like it did before i plugged it in is total b s.

post #7 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:51 AM
I smell like beef

I have never taken the fuses out of mine. Just make sure your battery is good to go. Before you can upload a tune, the programmer saves your stock one. Make sure it is returned to stock. Sometimes the tune doesn't "take". If your battery happened to die while you were uploading, you might have a serious problem. Removing the fuses is just a safegaurd against battery drain.

Check to see if it actually uploaded the stock tune.

If all else fails, call Sct directly.

Good luck, keep us posted.

4r70w Dirty 3800 Stall [email protected] TRV25 60# SVT Pump FRPP 4.10s TFS TB+Plenum MAC O/R H Flows 382rwhp 384rwtq
post #8 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Regular

In my old 2000 V6, I never had to pull any fuses to tune it. I changed tunes multiple times with SCT Xcal2.

2000 V6 Mustang - cammed + bolt ons - Gone
1999 Cobra - bolt ons - Gone
1996 Mystic Cobra - Vortech T trim + bolt ons - Gone
2006 Mustang GT - Cammed and LOUD with a blower in the garage...

post #9 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Fee Fie Foe Fum

That isnt true... This tuner can tune damn near anything ford within a year set.. I have the pdf manual for this specific serial numbered tuner.... And the cobra this thing tuned before has been returned to stock before I got the tuner..ITS AN UNMARRIED tuner with specific instructions letting you select to tune a v6..anyway..removed the fuses or not the manual says to do so..still didnt help

post #10 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Fee Fie Foe Fum

Buying a computer isnt a big deal thats the least of my worries... I dont want a stock computer and now im terrified of these tuners

post #11 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Fee Fie Foe Fum

It has me extra salty cux I just went from x to h pipe and removed axle back so its dumped before the axle and I wana fn hear the difference badlike lol...plus I just put my cobra rs on and I wana see how hard these wide rears hook... I was just trying to get rid of my cel for having my egr deleted....epic fail!

post #12 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:19 PM
Not A Regular Member

As I said in another user's thread, there is a slim chance you might be able to contact a company who does email tunes and buy a tune from them with PATS disabled. I've never had issues with PATS so I don't know for sure if it would work, but I imagine if you upload a tune (specifically for your year/make/model/ecu code) with PATS disabled then it should allow your car to start. Although if you set it back to stock, PATS might lock the car down again.
post #13 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Fee Fie Foe Fum

As someone else has already said in the thread you are mentioning... I have heard of several people asking to have it disabled in their custom tunes and it wasnt happening... The fix isnt to cover up the pats..its to find out why its doing it in the first place imo

post #14 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 02:27 PM
Banned

Oh, just something I thought i would add..

A tune for a 98 V6 would be very different for a 2000+ V6..

Single port =98 Split port =00

Different top ends/heads, etc.
post #15 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Fee Fie Foe Fum

Just somthing I would add..go to sct..buy a tuner...itll be for a 94-04

post #16 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Fee Fie Foe Fum

Do u want the serial number off the tuner? I mean really

post #17 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

Yes, But if you tell them, 98, or tell them 00...

They will change the 3 tunes you get accordingly.

Herp, Derp.

if I put a split port tune on my car it would run rich,
And Single port in 99+ it would be lean.

Two different top ends, Two different air to fuel ratio's.

Just wanted to add a little something.
post #18 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Fee Fie Foe Fum

Okay now I understand what youre sayin but I just did the strategy tune on it..yes the preloaded ones are for the cobra but an unmarried unlocked tuner shouldnt have done this to my car

post #19 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 04:34 PM
Not A Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaetz1985 View Post
Okay now I understand what youre sayin but I just did the strategy tune on it..yes the preloaded ones are for the cobra but an unmarried unlocked tuner shouldnt have done this to my car
I wouldn't go as far as to say it shouldn't have done this. Ford has used a variety of PATS systems over the years. 96-97s used one system, 98s used another, and 99-04s used yet another. I'm no tuner nor electronics expert, but if there is anything written into a tune to keep changes to the ecu from setting off PATS then I imagine uploading a tune from the wrong year/ecu code/pats type would cause quite a problem.

Also, I grabbed this off another forum, it might be of some help or at least give you a little more info on PATS.

Diagnostics
Vehicle Disablement
PATS will disable a vehicle under the following conditions:

Damaged encoded PATS key
Unprogrammed key
Non-encoded key (key has no electronics)
Wiring problem to PATS Control or transceiver
Transceiver concern
SCP Communication network concern
PATS Control module concern
PCM concern

PATS Symptoms

Rapidly flashing theft indicator with ignition on
No crank
Start and stall, within 1 second
Crank, no start

Non-PATS Symptoms

If theft Indicator turns on with the ignition and runs through it's 2-3 second provout, the PATS system is operating normally.
If the vehicle runs for more than 1 second, then stalls, it is not a PATS issue. PATS cannot cause a running vehicle to stall.
Alarm goes off - PATS is completely independent from the perimeter alarm system.
Remote Keyless Entry - PATS is completely independent from the RKE system.
No-crank on a PTS vehicle without starter disable. Check the vehicle list for the presence of starter interrupt.

Basics

Always verify that there are no aftermarket devices causing interference, such as alarms, remote starters or other devices utilizing transponders. Devices that power up the PCM without powering up the PATS Control module can experience no-start concerns.
Items such as foil stickers, brass key tags, other PATS keys, other transponders used to purchase gasoline or other metallic objects can cause interference with the PATS key.
Make sure you have all of the customer's keys when doing reprogramming or diagnosis.
Erasing and reprogramming ignition keys does not cure any known intermittent PATS no-start issues. Do not reprogram keys if a fault cannot be identified.
When replacing ignition keys, make sure the customer throws out all old keys.
Reprogramming the PCM does not have any impact on PATS operation.
Disconnect battery cables when replacing the PATS modules, (ICM, VIC, HEC, SCIL, or PCM)
If the engine does not crank on vehicles that have PATS providing a ground to the starter relay, verify the PATS output to the starter relay.
If the PCM has a P1260, look for additional codes in the PATS control module.
Systems B, C and E have an anti-scan function. If you attempt to start the vehicle with an unprogrammed key, the theft indicator will flash rapidly and the vehicle will not start. Leave the key in the RUN position for 30 seconds for the anti-scan feature to time out. The vehicle will fail to start during this 30-second time period even if a correctly programmed key is used.
Some aftermarket audio equipment have been found to keep the run/start circuit active for over 5 seconds past ignition off. This can prevent pats from properly reading ignition keys during key programming. Remove or disable this aftermarket equipment if problems with any key programming sequence occur.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)
NGS Code
Meaning
B1213 - Less than 2 keys programmed into the PATS control. If this is the only code, then cycle another key in the ignition. If not, service other codes first.

B1232 - Replace transceiver, antenna damaged.
B2103 - Replace transceiver, antenna damaged.

B1342 - PCM defective, memory failure in PCM. (System E only) B1600
No PATS key read by the PATS control module. Could be caused by damaged key, PATS transceiver, PATS control, or circuits between transceiver and control.

B1601 - Unprogrammed PATS key (key format OK, just not programmed) Leave ignition on for 30 seconds before programming key to let anti-scan time out. Follow spare key programming procedure.

B1602 - Partial key read of PATS key, probably key issue (not approved key), possible transceiver issue, possible remote starter issue. Metal, other PATS keys or gasoline purchase transponder on keychain can cause interference.

B1681 - Transceiver module signal not received by PATS control. Tranciever not connected/defective, or wiring problem between transceiver and PATS Control module
B2139 - PCM_ID does not match between PCM and PATS control (PATS/ICM/VIC/HEC/SCIL), Reinitialization required, probable cause is replaced PCM (Systems B, C only)

B2141 - Non-Volatile Memory configuration failure - no PCM_ID stored in PATS. Reinitialization required, probable cause is replaced PATS Control (Systems B, C only)

B2431 - Key program failure (defective key or transceiver) System E only

P1260 - PCM disabled vehicle – will not start. Retrieve codes from PATS.

U1147 - SCP network problem between PCM and PATS, incorrect PCM calibration (Systems B, C only). PATS key, transceiver or transceiver circuit cannot cause this code. Should be accompanied by P1260 stored in PCM. If no P1260 in PCM, PATS module may be being powered up before PCM resulting in a communication failure.

U1262 - SCP network problem between PCM and PATS, no messages received from PCM. PCM is not powered up or wiring issue with SCP circuits (Bus+, Bus-). This is only a PATS fault if the Theft Indicator is flashing

Ford Anti-Theft (PATS) - Ford Forums Online - Ford Discussion & Enthusiast Forum
post #20 of 82 Old September 23rd, 2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Fee Fie Foe Fum

Im getting p1206 off of that list..im using a non oem key would programming it mess something w that up? Idk I guess off to buy a new computer.. I just dont understand...sct's site asks right off the bat for your serial off the programmer.. I type it in and the s.o.b.says compatible for my car..i didnt load the cobra tune into I did a strategy tune of my own just to get tid of egr..it was unlocked unmarried device...so as long as didnt use the preloaded tune amd selected to strategy tine the v6mustang..why would there be a problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page