What TECH Did You Do To Your Sixxer Today? - Page 203 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4041 of 4132 Old May 2nd, 2015, 12:21 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Toph6888
Been working a lot on the rear seat delete with the aluminum panels and made good headway. I'm about 80% done with them now.

Started with my aluminum sheets, took my cardboard templates I made and got the basic shape cut out on the shear at work, then took them home and trimmed them up with tin snips. Then I marked where all my bends needed to be and took them back to work to put the bends in. Even being aluminum that 1/4" thickness really didn't want to bend that much but I got them there (well close enough that some light standing on them in the garage finished up the bending). Then I bought some rivet on Tnuts and figured out where I wanted all of those and spent two nights getting them fit, finding the bolt holes, drilling out panels in the aluminum and the back seat of the car and finally getting everything fit together. I am at about $120 in materials as it sits, and I am going to cover them in suede I got from a friend for free, so all in all it will be about a total of $140 with the padding/glue to put on the suede. It was kind of a pain in the ass, so if you don't need metal I would suggest just buying it and avoiding the hassle, but if you want a fun summer project this one was pretty rewarding (hint, take the front seats out to make your life that much easier.

Here is the rear seat with all the t nuts put in it (3 on the speaker panel, two in the bottom corners, and 4 on the rear seat rail)

Here are my panels all ready to go:

I also put in my seat harnesses that are a "3" point, ie they bolt in 3 places but they still have the waist straps/shoulder straps through the seat

And finally here is a better picture of the seat delete installed:

Gonna be out of town next week for work, but I can at least drive it without hearing everything rumbling in the back so that will be fine for now. Maybe next weekend I will go ahead and work on getting them covered in the suede.

Coyote Swap Thread 416rwhp/375rwtq

Turbo V6 Build Thread 353rwhp/370rwtq @ 12psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4042 of 4132 Old May 18th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Enthusiast

Buddy went to my house while I was at work and built most of the 8.8 dif. Axles are on order and should be here Saturday. Should be back on the road beginning of next week. Curious to see what these 3.73's will feel like....

_

04 F250SD 4x4 6.0 PSD ---02 3.8L V6 Pony Procharger in progress ---90 BMW 535i

SMR #530-----Fobra Club Member #2-----Silver Sixxer Club Member #1
post #4043 of 4132 Old May 19th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum View Post
So, I finally figured out how to get the power steering pump pulley installed. It felt like an IQ test, and let's just say I failboated... a lot! Mangogirl, I have no clue how you did it, but you are my idol.

I found out how to use a tap and die set to reset the threads in the pump's shaft (ok Beavis, calm down), and to get the installer to actually work (why did they make it with only right handed threads?!?!) I had to use the battery tray for the breaker bar to rest on, Kung foo grip with left hand on pulley right above bracket, hump front bumper, use right knee to twist left, and 23 MM wrench with right hand to the right. Then, when you hear a loud ass creaking noise, you know it's moving. I learned a lot today!

Does anyone know of a better installer tool? I used the bolt and press washer from O'reilly's. Damn overpriced too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Nope not really. The only way to make that better is to have an impact on the shaft. That being said, why did you buy one of those damn things instead of just renting it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4044 of 4132 Old May 21st, 2015, 10:20 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Touched up a bit of the exhaust today, took the mustang to work to put it on the lift so that I could cut off the stock cobra IRS mufflers and put on some flanged glasspacks. For cheap, I felt they worked out pretty well, will have to see how they last. so long as they last for a year or so with how cheap they are it wouldn't be a big deal to have to replace them lol.

Overall driving around with them its just a touch louder, nothing crazy different. But thats fine, the main reason I did it was to help relieve back pressure from the turbo outlet. At idle, maybe just a bit lower, no real difference. But with the two step, it sounds pretty wicked in person. I got the best video I could with my phone, but it can only do so much.

Taking the car to Norwalk drag strip in Ohio (more commonly known as Summit Motorsports Park) and hoping to have a lot better turn out with it compared to last year with the old cam where I just couldn't get a good 60' time (previous best was 2.4s, even with the 2step). Stock cam works much better with the turbo I have, so hoping to run some good times and mainly just have a good time since my dad will be coming out too. He hasn't had a chance to really ride in the car yet where we could really get on it.

post #4045 of 4132 Old May 21st, 2015, 11:09 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Garage
Is that irs i see?
Nice looking exhuast btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
post #4046 of 4132 Old May 21st, 2015, 11:14 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
Is that irs i see?
Nice looking exhuast btw
That it is. From an 03 cobra, and I replaced all the bushings with polyurethane before I put it in, so far haven't noticed any real wheel hop.

Thanks. The mid pipe is a one off , 3" round from the turbo that y's for the stock dual exhaust from the cobra.
boattlebot likes this.

post #4047 of 4132 Old May 21st, 2015, 11:20 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toph6888 View Post
That it is. From an 03 cobra, and I replaced all the bushings with polyurethane before I put it in, so far haven't noticed any real wheel hop.

Thanks. The mid pipe is a one off , 3" round from the turbo that y's for the stock dual exhaust from the cobra.
My exhuast is a one off. A janky gheto one tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
post #4048 of 4132 Old May 22nd, 2015, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toph6888 View Post
Touched up a bit of the exhaust today, took the mustang to work to put it on the lift so that I could cut off the stock cobra IRS mufflers and put on some flanged glasspacks. For cheap, I felt they worked out pretty well, will have to see how they last. so long as they last for a year or so with how cheap they are it wouldn't be a big deal to have to replace them lol.

Making me jealous that you have that IRS. These cars have like no room underneath with the solid axle. My exhaust barely fits because it has full droop in the rear.
post #4049 of 4132 Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:26 PM
MOAR BOOST

Garage
That actually doesn't sound too bad with the glass packs.
I've been wanting to go straight through muffler for awhile but idk what. A lot of them sound really bad.

Good luck at Norwalk, I have a few friends going if you're going to the nmra true street event.

Turbo Build Thread
post #4050 of 4132 Old May 26th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Reformed Parts Guy

I stripped the donor car for my manual swap this weekend, the shell rolled off to become an 1/8th mile street rat. Motor is still sitting on my garage floor, buyer bailed on me. Aside from that, I swapped some of my more worn interior parts with some from the donor. The only real techy thing you could say I did was finally fix the damned blinking odometer in my car. That took maybe 20-30 minutes with some extra cleaning that I did.

99 Dark Satin Green Metallic (FU) 'Vert White Top
3.8L V6
T5 Swap
Tune by Torrie @ Unleashed
BBK CAI
MSD 8.5mm Wires
Mach 1 Grill Delete and Chin
GT Rear Sway
Tokico HP Blue's
FRPP "B" Springs
FRPP Anthracite Bullitt's
post #4051 of 4132 Old May 28th, 2015, 11:07 PM
Enthusiast

All I can say is:

All bolted up and just about ready to go. Waiting on new bushings to arrive.....

_

post #4052 of 4132 Old June 16th, 2015, 01:35 AM
Enthusiast

just needs fluid and tires to make it drivable - sooooooooooo close and then the sky opened up in a downpour.......

_

post #4053 of 4132 Old June 17th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

post #4054 of 4132 Old June 17th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Man-child

Looks awesome man. Have you tested it out yet?

_stormtrooper.in.training_
post #4055 of 4132 Old June 18th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by _stormtrooper.in.training_ View Post
Looks awesome man. Have you tested it out yet?
Yea, not impressed. I don't really feel much of a difference. I went with 3.73s as I want to keep some of my economy since the blower will throw most of that out the window. The butt dyno seems to be telling me that I could come off the line faster, however I need to get a couple hundred miles on these gears first before I really start beating on them. They are brand new after all.

Transmission needs help - I forgot how bad 5th gear was. All is smooth until then.

I think the biggest plus is the exhaust note has changed some. Now that the mid-pipe is in the correct way, both mufflers sit even with each other and I don't have the tailpipe stuffed too far into the passenger side muffler.

_

post #4056 of 4132 Old June 18th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Man-child

Did you have the 7.5" prior to putting the current one in?

post #4057 of 4132 Old June 18th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by _stormtrooper.in.training_ View Post
Did you have the 7.5" prior to putting the current one in?
Yea, this past time was the third time I grenaded the 7.5". First two times the spider gears shredded, this last time the ring gear bolts let go and turned everything to shrapnel.

Decided I was going to go 8.8 this time around. So is it the extra heft that's killing me?

_

post #4058 of 4132 Old June 19th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Man-child

Yeah, from what I hear the difference in the amount of rotating mass is somewhat noticeable. But I haven't gotten around to putting in the 8.8 yet, so I couldn't say from experience. I think you'll be glad you went ahead and did it further down the road and it's still holding up.

post #4059 of 4132 Old June 19th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG47 View Post
So is it the extra heft that's killing me?
When I originally put in the 8.8 I had for my car 4-5 years ago I noticed the weight, especially when going around corners, the back wanted to let go a little easier. The quad shocks were a big help with it staying in place though over bumps. You get used to it.

post #4060 of 4132 Old June 20th, 2015, 12:40 PM
MOAR BOOST

Garage
I never noticed the weight difference with the 8.8 personally really.

Turbo Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/v6-mustangs/279405-what-tech-did-you-do-your-sixxer-today.html
Posted By For Type Date
Untitled document This thread Refback April 26th, 2014 11:24 AM
Tallmadge Ohio - online discussion summary | BoardReader This thread Refback November 23rd, 2013 10:58 AM
psychostick | BoardReader This thread Refback January 29th, 2013 06:48 PM