What TECH Did You Do To Your Sixxer Today? - Page 206 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4101 of 4132 Old August 22nd, 2015, 03:27 AM
Regular

New cai is a tight fit due to the tb spacer. It was a freebie from a friend so im thinking i might take it off since the intake is now sitting funny but i kinda like how it looks with all the red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150821_144934.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	161850  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4102 of 4132 Old August 28th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Toph6888
Started work on my fan shroud last night for my new slim radiator fan. Total thickness will be between 1/2" and 3/4". I bent up the edges to be 1/2" with a bead roll, and then I will also put some vacuum line down all the edges to protect it from hurting the radiator. its only 20 gauge aluminum, but it still has a lot of rigidity with the bends at all the corners. I knew it would stiffen up, but I didn't realize this much lol. Still need to cut the center hole out for the fan, and then I will probably flare that edge as well to give a little bit more 3d support and help direct the air towards the fan.

The shroud measures 20" x 16". My core size is 24"x15". The fan is a "16inch" fan, but the blades are only 15".

Total core size area = 360sqin. The fan area is 176.6sqin, roughly 49% of the total core size. With the shroud, I now cover roughly 85% of the radiator area, so a big improvement. For those wondering, I couldn't do the full radiator because my cold side intercooler piping runs right up against the now thicker radiator, so I had to miss that part of the area due to clearance. It still has enough room between the piping and the radiator for air to flow and no contact, but not enough room for the 3/4" total thickness shroud.

20gauge aluminumm - $20 off of amazon for a 24"x36" piece (only needed about half of it for the shroud). Hit it till it fits! I just marked out all my lines, clamped it to some wood I had, and then just kept hitting the edge till I got the bend I wanted.

All edges done:

Figured out my placement of the fan on the car, marked it up and I will cut this out tonight/tomorrow

What it will look like on the car:

Coyote Swap Thread 416rwhp/375rwtq

Turbo V6 Build Thread 353rwhp/370rwtq @ 12psi
post #4103 of 4132 Old August 28th, 2015, 06:45 PM
MOAR BOOST

Garage
Toph pm me if you still have any spare #39 injectors

Turbo Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4104 of 4132 Old August 29th, 2015, 10:59 AM
╚⊙ ⊙╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSix View Post
Toph pm me if you still have any spare #39 injectors

I have 4

2000 V6 - Turbo
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
1994 GT - Parting Out
1998 GT - Parting Out

1995 GT - SOLD

Insta :@Southfour6[/CENTER]
post #4105 of 4132 Old August 29th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Getting further with my fan shroud, hopefully will finish it up after some family stuff tonight.

Cut the hole out with a jig saw (woo new tool) and a metal blade, then smoothed it out with some dremmel tools. Also bent up the edge of it to add some 3d shape as well as help direct air flow to the fan blades. Added vacuum hose over the end of the double bend edges to add a little insulation. Finally, mounted up the fan using my rivnuts (god I love that tool).

Here you can see the bent edge for the fan blades and directing the airflow:

Gonna hopefully get all the brackets done tonight that way the system will be ready to bolt into the car. Gonna have to slightly rework the metal coolant lines, have about 1/2" to cut out and reweld on each one since the radiator isn't quite as wide as the stock radiator.

post #4106 of 4132 Old September 1st, 2015, 09:53 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Got most of the radiator stuff done last night.

Got the brackets finished up for the fan shroud:

Just used some 16gauge aluminum, my hammer, vice, drill and rivnuts to make it all fit. Puts a nice compression on the shroud so that the rubber is loaded, but not so tight as to crush anything. Should keep it in place pretty easily. I used 1/8" rivets to mount the brackets to the radiator (on the mounting plates that the radiator comes with) and then put rivnuts on the brackets for easy attachement/removal.

Then I decided to see how it all finally fit in there (I had fit before, but it was mostly holding by hand, so it was nice to see it all in there by itself. Sorry for the bad photos, lighting is an issue in my garage lol).

Exhaust is a bit closer than I wanted, adn I could maybe shift it over a bit, but I like where the fan motor is in relation to all the piping, so I might go ahead and run it like this. With all the air running by the plastic it should be OK, and I also have a bunch of heat wrap to put on the exhaust so before I run it that dump pipe will be wrapped. Minimum spacing is about half inch between the flex joint and the very edge of the fan support.

And finally I started looking at the coolant lines. Mine are stainless pipes with reinforced chemically resistant couplers on either end, and I was worried I was going to have to cut down some sections due to the decreased width of this radiator compared to stock. Luckily I was able to get everything to fit by just trimming off some excess silicone from the coupler, so everything "technically" fits. Its getting pretty tight in there lol.

Gonna pull the exhaust off so that I can clean it and the engine bay (coolant residue still on a lot of the engine) and wrap the exhaust pipes, then I should be all done with this fiasco.
Genie_92lx likes this.

post #4107 of 4132 Old September 4th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Stared working on replacing the bumper support in the car since I have everything out of the way that needs to be removed anyways. The bumper support has been bent since I have owned the car by the previous owner, and one of those things I always wanted to replace but was always just buried in the car to get to.

Here is a picture showing before how they were slightly bent (passenger side is not as bad, top is good, only need to pull the bottom out a little bit with a slide hammer).

I had to notch the stock bumper in order to get the intercooler to fit because of the bends in the support, so I decided it was time that I go ahead and replace this mess. Ordered parts off of AM, about $20 a side. The only issue with them is that the holes do not come tapped for bolts, so you will either need to tap the threads like I did or just get a slightly smaller bolt to run through it and then put a nut on the back end. The load will get transferred to the bumper and bumper support, so a typical bolt should be fine.

I looked online a lot to try to find out how to replace these and couldn't find anything. Was a little nervous about doing it, but then I just said F*** it, its not like I can make it worse. There are a lot of spot welds holding this bad boy together. 6 on the front face, and then 4 inside that connect the frame, rad support and bumper support/absorber. You gotta pick and choose your spot welds because there are some others in there that are only for the frame to bumper support.

Fast forward 2hrs of battling with my 2lb sledge, sawzall, spot weld cutter, and grinder and I end up with the mess below:

The "Void"

New Fitment:

I am debating on how I want to put it in. I could go for rewelding part of it, but I am thinking I might just bolt it in to the frame with some 3/8" bolts since I can get a wrench in there, and then weld the face. That should be more than strong enough since I am probably also going to be putting in a tow strap on the bumper beam bolts.

Now that everything is apart and reworked I am finally almost done with this ordeal. I have some new exhaust heat wrap, so I will pull that off real quick and wash the engine bay from the coolant residue, wrap the exhaust, and then finally everything goes into reassembly. Should be running by tomorrow.

post #4108 of 4132 Old September 4th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toph6888 View Post
Got most of the radiator stuff done last night.

Got the brackets finished up for the fan shroud:

Just out of curiosity, why did you not cover up the entire radiator? Not enough space?
post #4109 of 4132 Old September 4th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Wha...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toph6888 View Post

...For those wondering, I couldn't do the full radiator because my cold side intercooler piping runs right up against the now thicker radiator, so I had to miss that part of the area due to clearance. It still has enough room between the piping and the radiator for air to flow and no contact, but not enough room for the 3/4" total thickness shroud.

M90 setup done, and slightly running lol. Working on self tuning now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMann View Post
I've got Rembrandt as my right hand, and Solo as my pilot.
post #4110 of 4132 Old September 7th, 2015, 01:58 AM
Regular

checked my passenger side manifold that i just replaced last year with an oem part. cracked on the same spot again thanks to that ac drip :/....ok so time to order a set of stainless steel shortys. question has anyone thought of a good way to divert that drip since its so close to the manifold?

post #4111 of 4132 Old September 7th, 2015, 02:05 AM
Formerly whyxitx

Build a little system that diverts it away from the header. I forget how to do it but i remember someone putting something together for that specific problem. I found longtubes for my car for $20 when mine cracked so i didn't have to deal with it.

2017 Nitrous Blue Focus RS
1993 Ford Ranger

1997 Cobra - SOLD

Professional Door Dildo Remover
post #4112 of 4132 Old September 7th, 2015, 02:43 AM
Regular

Yea im not interested in long tubes so i need to figure it out i guess. Thanks

post #4113 of 4132 Old September 8th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Got the bumper support welded on this weekend (with the addition of an awesome burn on my arm from the welding torch, doh). Not the prettiest welding, but should hold for what I need it to do.

Painted that black as well as some miscellaneous brackets and some spots I missed when I originally sprayed the engine bay black.

Pushed the car outside and used a 1 gallon spray bottle to clean up the engine bay from any coolant residue (wish I had a house with a hose, but this worked out pretty well for a $15 spray bottle and cleaned it up enough).

spraying engine bay (damn you white balance!)

Spraying down other parts/piping

Started getting parts back onto the car. Turbo and pre turbo exhaust is in that I wrapped up with some DEI heat wrap, ac condenser and the powersteering cooler are in, radiator, shroud and lower coolant line are in minus the top brackets, and the intercooler bracket is back in.

Gonna get the rest back on tonight, which includes the fan, turbo dump, air filter, upper coolant pipe, intercooler piping, vacuum line for the BOV, connect up my o2 sensors, wideband, and front bumper/headlight panel. Hopefully get to the point where I can start it again tonight.

post #4114 of 4132 Old September 8th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97veesicks View Post
I was skimming through all of this at work. I thought he was just talking about what he fabricated.
post #4115 of 4132 Old September 10th, 2015, 01:04 PM

Installed new coil pack and plugs. Then, washed the exterior.
post #4116 of 4132 Old September 10th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Regular

what did you end up going with?

post #4117 of 4132 Old September 12th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Regular

got the flowmaster 10s but on with some temp tubing for the mid pipe. gonna be taking off the cats and then adding in an x pipe shortly.

also did my fuel filter today as well since i hit 130k miles. figured it was time

post #4118 of 4132 Old September 14th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

got all the necessary bits buttoned up on the mustang and got it running after putting in some new coolant.

I also noted that the front bumper has a very minimal contact to the intercooler, so I started notching that part out. I cut out part of the steel box and bent it to form a triangle instead, this way it won't contact the intercooler or block any of the vents, it should allow plenty of air to pass through the intercooler instead of blocking about 1/3 of it. I will post pictures of this tonight.

post #4119 of 4132 Old September 16th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Regular

just order a bama chip since i've been wanting to A) fix my cel from where my rear o2's are cut off and B) get some firmer shift points on my auto. i did a lot of looking online but can't find alot of v6 reviews. anyone here run one?

post #4120 of 4132 Old September 16th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Formerly whyxitx

I ran a diablosport tuner and it woke my car up with the harder shifts.

2017 Nitrous Blue Focus RS
1993 Ford Ranger

1997 Cobra - SOLD

Professional Door Dildo Remover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/v6-mustangs/279405-what-tech-did-you-do-your-sixxer-today.html
Posted By For Type Date
Untitled document This thread Refback April 26th, 2014 11:24 AM
Tallmadge Ohio - online discussion summary | BoardReader This thread Refback November 23rd, 2013 10:58 AM
psychostick | BoardReader This thread Refback January 29th, 2013 06:48 PM