What do i need to swap in a 4.6 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old October 8th, 2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Just tryin to survive

What do i need to swap in a 4.6

I have come across a 4.6 motor at my school for 250 bucks, I have the block numbers and all that jazz. As far as i know i will need the following....

ECU 4.6 mustang
8.8" Rear end
Wiring harness for 4.6

Questions..
Will my v6 Auto bolt up to the 4.6?
Will my PATS system be okay with the swap or no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old October 8th, 2012, 09:40 PM
MOAR BOOST

Garage
auto won't work, bellhousing won't work
pats you might need reprogrammed due to the different computer

Turbo Build Thread
post #3 of 24 Old October 8th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Not A Regular Member

The best way to do it is to find a totaled GT and buy it. Then swap over the engine, engine accessories, tranny, rear end, driveshaft, kmember, engine wire harness, tranny wire harness, computer, gauge cluster, exhaust, shifter, etc. In the long run, a totaled donor car will generally be cheaper than buying each part individually since you'll be able to sell off all the other parts that you don't need to minimize the overall cost of your project. Pretty much the entire interior, undamaged panels, old parts from you V6, glass, etc could all be sold off individually once you finish the swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old October 9th, 2012, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Just tryin to survive

Where do I go about finding a totaled gt? I've searched on craigslist for a while now but the only thing I find close toit is a rear axle here and there.
post #5 of 24 Old October 9th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Toph6888
Personally for me there isnt a whole lot to gain from doing just a normal 4.6 swap if youre just going to drop the engine in (unless you plan on stroking/porting heads/other engine work). The 4.6 is better than the 3.8, but the amount of money you would save vs just selling the v6 and buying a good gt would be pretty negligible.

Now, say you found a wrecked 03-04 cobra or mach 1, that would be a different story having the 4v engines in them. Like they said you will need the matching transmission with the engine, and getting a donor car is usually the way to go.

If you plan on racing try to get the solid axle since it will be cheaper to build than the irs in the cobra. If you are looking for a daily driver, and something that feels a little smoother on the road, go for the irs set up if you dont mind a little extra weight in the back of the car.

BTW, as far as I know the kmembers are the same between the gt and the v6, its just the motor mounts that are different. People use aftermarket gt kmembers in the v6's.
post #6 of 24 Old October 9th, 2012, 10:27 AM
2013 5.0

Send a message via AIM to slonison
For once in my life, I'd like to see someone who posts in one of these threads stating how they DID the swap and regret it.

Most of the time you have two or three very inexperienced people who haven't done the swap posting "Yeaaaaah! Do it!!!" or "That would be awesome, post a walk through!"

Then you have a whole slew of people who have never done is posting and saying, "Don't do it", "Not worth the money" and the broken record that just keeps on playing, "Sell the v6 and buy a GT"

Can someone who has actually done the swap jump in here and do one of two things?
A. Provide some actual advice that comes only from experience.
B. Actually tell me that you wish you had never done it.

Steve's House

120+ V6 How-To's

2013Black 5.0
2002 Black Vert - Sold
1998 True Blue Coupe - Totaled
post #7 of 24 Old October 9th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Resident asshole

I'm doing a 4v swap right now. I wish I had the entire donor car however I got the engine,engine harness and the body harness from the Mach. Right now it's little things nickel and dime(ing) me to death.
For you to accomplish that swap you need the entire harness,engine and body because I don't think the plugs are the same and the plug placement.
Then you have the tranny issue.
Try to find an entire car. It's little things that will hold you up.
Don't forget the throttle cable. I have one if you need it. From a 2000 gt

Black 2000 gt with a Mach 1 4v. 3.90 gears.Mac long tubes,prochamber,nitrous.
1988 5.0
1982 Capri RS Turbo 1 of 22 built,putting today's tech into yesterday's style.
post #8 of 24 Old October 9th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Fee Fie Foe Fum

Froush knows doesnt he? I believe he had a donor car...surely hes talked about on here somewhere.

World's First M112 Singleport Essex
post #9 of 24 Old October 9th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonison View Post
For once in my life, I'd like to see someone who posts in one of these threads stating how they DID the swap and regret it.

Most of the time you have two or three very inexperienced people who haven't done the swap posting "Yeaaaaah! Do it!!!" or "That would be awesome, post a walk through!"

Then you have a whole slew of people who have never done is posting and saying, "Don't do it", "Not worth the money" and the broken record that just keeps on playing, "Sell the v6 and buy a GT"

Can someone who has actually done the swap jump in here and do one of two things?
A. Provide some actual advice that comes only from experience.
B. Actually tell me that you wish you had never done it.
Well if I offended you my apologies. Wasn't trying to cause an issue here. The main reason why there aren't a lot of people who do it is because when people research it its not a very efficient swap.

I'm all for a v8 swap, but why not getting something better then the 2v 4.6L? Like I said the mach 1 or cobra swap? I was just trying to give you a couple of options was all.
post #10 of 24 Old October 9th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Here's the link to Froush's Build

https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...6-v8-swap.html
post #11 of 24 Old October 9th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toph6888 View Post
Well if I offended you my apologies. Wasn't trying to cause an issue here. The main reason why there aren't a lot of people who do it is because when people research it its not a very efficient swap.

I'm all for a v8 swap, but why not getting something better then the 2v 4.6L? Like I said the mach 1 or cobra swap? I was just trying to give you a couple of options was all.
It's harder to find a totalled Mach 1 or cobra (from my experience at least) and when you do find them they cost a LOT more than a totalled gt. I would try to find an older built 5.0 like Froush did, I see a lot of people selling them on craigslist with the tranny and ecu

Carolina Crew #18

2015 Mustang GT
2000 Mustang v6 (built 4v swap project)
post #12 of 24 Old October 9th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I did it also. Pretty straight forward. You will need to get the pats tuned out or your computer reflashed. I had a donor car I found on cl for 1000 bucks. Sold the wheels that came on it and the body for as much as I paid for it. Try and find a donor. You will also need the gt motor mounts. My build is 3.8 to 4.6 swap if you want another thread to look at also. Froush helped me out with mine too, giving me pointers throughout the thread.
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-4-6-swap.html

If I did not get the whole running car for dirt cheap like that, I definitely wouldve gone with a pi motor or a 4v from a mark viii. I dont regret doing it at all tho.

Also, I am still running my 7.5 rear. It will hold for a while till you find a rear end that you want. The driveshaft bolts up still. I would do an auto to manual swap while you are at it.
post #13 of 24 Old October 9th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I have a set of extra solid motor mounts, just need to drill out the holes a little bit (thats what I had to do) but ill let ya have them for cheap if you do the swap! Oh yea and I used my v6 dash harness (if i could re do it, I woulda switched that just to clear the questions about the pats) and also used the v6 fuze block and lights harness.
post #14 of 24 Old October 9th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

I dont regret it at all. I did the swap for about $1500 after all said and done and i got a badass engine, trans, rearend, and suspension to go with it. Dont get piece by piece because it will nickel and dime you to death. Get a whole donor car. Also, since yours is an 04 try to get one that is 02-04 because the dash harness is different from 99-01. But the v6 is the same as the v8 of those respected years. If you have more questions just pm me.

"Happiness is being blown and stroked at the same time"
V6 => Teksid 302 stroker
Caitlyn Jenner swapped
My Build Thread click link
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html
post #15 of 24 Old October 9th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

agree with froush!
post #16 of 24 Old October 10th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toph6888 View Post
Personally for me there isnt a whole lot to gain from doing just a normal 4.6 swap if youre just going to drop the engine in (unless you plan on stroking/porting heads/other engine work). The 4.6 is better than the 3.8, but the amount of money you would save vs just selling the v6 and buying a good gt would be pretty negligible.

Now, say you found a wrecked 03-04 cobra or mach 1, that would be a different story having the 4v engines in them. Like they said you will need the matching transmission with the engine, and getting a donor car is usually the way to go.

If you plan on racing try to get the solid axle since it will be cheaper to build than the irs in the cobra. If you are looking for a daily driver, and something that feels a little smoother on the road, go for the irs set up if you dont mind a little extra weight in the back of the car.

BTW, as far as I know the kmembers are the same between the gt and the v6, its just the motor mounts that are different. People use aftermarket gt kmembers in the v6's.
Well I have found a 03 mach 1 and its wrecked and I'm gonna swap it to my v6 what do I need to know with swapping everything over since this my first time
post #17 of 24 Old October 10th, 2012, 01:20 AM
2013 5.0

Send a message via AIM to slonison
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding Rubber View Post
I'm doing a 4v swap right now. I wish I had the entire donor car however I got the engine,engine harness and the body harness from the Mach. Right now it's little things nickel and dime(ing) me to death.
For you to accomplish that swap you need the entire harness,engine and body because I don't think the plugs are the same and the plug placement.
Then you have the tranny issue.
Try to find an entire car. It's little things that will hold you up.
Don't forget the throttle cable. I have one if you need it. From a 2000 gt
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan98 View Post
I did it also. Pretty straight forward. You will need to get the pats tuned out or your computer reflashed. I had a donor car I found on cl for 1000 bucks. Sold the wheels that came on it and the body for as much as I paid for it. Try and find a donor. You will also need the gt motor mounts. My build is 3.8 to 4.6 swap if you want another thread to look at also. Froush helped me out with mine too, giving me pointers throughout the thread.
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-4-6-swap.html

If I did not get the whole running car for dirt cheap like that, I definitely wouldve gone with a pi motor or a 4v from a mark viii. I dont regret doing it at all tho.

Also, I am still running my 7.5 rear. It will hold for a while till you find a rear end that you want. The driveshaft bolts up still. I would do an auto to manual swap while you are at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froush View Post
I dont regret it at all. I did the swap for about $1500 after all said and done and i got a badass engine, trans, rearend, and suspension to go with it. Dont get piece by piece because it will nickel and dime you to death. Get a whole donor car. Also, since yours is an 04 try to get one that is 02-04 because the dash harness is different from 99-01. But the v6 is the same as the v8 of those respected years. If you have more questions just pm me.
ethan and Froush. I'm already subbed to both your builds :-)

These are the types of responses that these threads should really get. because it answers the questions they asking :-)

Steve's House

120+ V6 How-To's

2013Black 5.0
2002 Black Vert - Sold
1998 True Blue Coupe - Totaled
post #18 of 24 Old October 10th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T Send a message via Yahoo to ESG-642T
Waste of time
buy a v8
or swap a 4v

[CENTER][IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img839/792/esg642t.png[/IMG][/center]

[CENTER]Hi, You can call me Kyle
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]Random ESG fact: Had a prochamber on his v6 before it was popular.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
post #19 of 24 Old October 10th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESG-642T View Post
Waste of time
buy a v8
or swap a 4v

Disagree. If you found a complete 04 gt in a yard for a thousand bucks it is worth it. People make power on whatever engine they want. I know ESG-642T has a wicked v6, most would say that is a waste of time, look what he did with his and helps people with theirs.

I wouldnt piece together everything unless you get it all from a junkyard for cheap, but will probably take a while to gather parts as you would remember things as the project goes along.

If my v6 was in running condition I probably woulda sold it and bought a gt, but looking back, it really wasnt tough to do and dont regret putting an npi motor in. I knew I was going to rebuild the top end anyway tho.
post #20 of 24 Old October 10th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeagent21 View Post
Well I have found a 03 mach 1 and its wrecked and I'm gonna swap it to my v6 what do I need to know with swapping everything over since this my first time
Well first off, you need to know how to remove and install: engine, trans, rearend, brake booster, gauge cluster, ecu, engine harness, trans harness, pedal assemblies, radiator. If you can do all that then you can do the swap. Just to save you time and money, heres a tip of advise. Pats works like this: key has a resistor in it that is in sync with the gauge cluster. When these two match it will give signal to the ecu. If that matches it will allow the car to start. To get around this you either need ford to reprogram the car which is pricey......or.....you can get all three parts from the donor car. Swap ecus, gauge clusters, and the ignition. The ignition pops right out and take 30 seconds to remove. So then you will have to keep the donor car key to start your car and your original key to open locks

"Happiness is being blown and stroked at the same time"
V6 => Teksid 302 stroker
Caitlyn Jenner swapped
My Build Thread click link
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page