swapping auto for 5 speed - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old January 9th, 2015, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Regular

swapping auto for 5 speed

ok, well its finally time to hit the junk yard try to find a five speed again. ive been a couple times and have only found 96-98s with trannys. most if not all the ones ive seen here so far are auto. anyways im pretty sure the trannys are the same, but what will i need to do to make it work with my 2000 v6, and can someone direct me to a parts list for what to make sure and get, i already have the pedal assembly but thats it so far! oh and i have a 8.8 from a 98 to swap in place of the 7.5. any info would be awesome thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old January 27th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Regular

By getting rid of the auto you'll eliminate all your transmission lines and such. Outside of the you'll need the bell housing, flywheel, shifter, clutch kit, and clutch fork. Oh yea, you'll need the clutch cable that goes through the firewall, but basically you're swapping a system with a lot of parts to a much simpler system. And I think there's only one electrical wire going to a T-5, a ground of some sort. If you're going used though I would highly recommend replacing the clutch fork pivot stud and the throwout bearing retainer assembly. Those tend to get worn with time and the smoothness of new ones is very worth it.
post #3 of 7 Old January 27th, 2015, 10:06 PM
MOAR BOOST

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Pearl View Post
By getting rid of the auto you'll eliminate all your transmission lines and such. Outside of the you'll need the bell housing, flywheel, shifter, clutch kit, and clutch fork. Oh yea, you'll need the clutch cable that goes through the firewall, but basically you're swapping a system with a lot of parts to a much simpler system. And I think there's only one electrical wire going to a T-5, a ground of some sort. If you're going used though I would highly recommend replacing the clutch fork pivot stud and the throwout bearing retainer assembly. Those tend to get worn with time and the smoothness of new ones is very worth it.
This is a pretty decent list. I've done it before. For a 99-04 car, I'd reccommend trying to find a 99-04 trans, as the 94-98 ones didn't have the electronic speedo pickup, so I'm not sure what you would do about the speedo. They had a gear driven one.

Otherwise his list is pretty complete, You need
-trans itself
- bell housing and bolts ( I think you can reuse the auto bolts)
-flywheel for a manual
-flywheel bolts (flexplate bolts are shorter and won't work)
-clutch kit
-clutch fork
- different driveshaft (I just swapped the yoke... the yoke on the transmission side is different between auto/manual - rear end size is the same)
-Shifter (get an aftermarket short throw IMO)
- clutch cable, clutch quadrant - I'd recommend going aftermarket and getting a firewall adjuster/clutch quadrant from UPR/MM/ the likes. Get an OE ford cable though.
- shifter bezel/lower shifter boot
- pilot bearing and throwout bearing - get ford OEM - the aftermarket throw out bearings suck
- pedal assembly (you already have this you said).
- you have to cut out the sheet metal where the shifter goes a slight bit

- You can make due with the automatic wiring harness, you just have to jump two wires together in it to override the neutral safety switch - the car won't start if you don't do this using the auto trans harness - I don't remember the wires off the top of my head. Just be careful as the car will start without a clutch, and your cruise control may or may not work.

You will also have to find the wires for the reverse lights and splice the reverse light connector for a t5 on (you can buy them cheap from LMR and the like I believe).
I eventually changed over to the manual harness, as it cleans up underneath the car (the auto will have some random connectors you don't use anymore) and the rear o2 sensor plugs are positioned differently. It took me a long time to find a harness though.

That should be about it... as far as the computer - you have two options -
1. Switch over to a manual ECU - Plug and play, just find one from 99-00 or 01-04, as the 99-00 ECU probably can't control the IMRC butterflys if you have a 01-04. Not 100% on that. You will have to take the car to ford to mes with the PATS system to swap ECU's.

2. Get a tuner. With the SCT software you (well, a tuner with the pro software) can turn off all the automatic stuff in a tune, and the car will function fine. I am still to this day running the original automatic ECU.

With a manual, you will lose some weight off the car (the auto is HEAVY) and be able to bang gears yourself. I don't regret the swap at all.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Also, I forgot - the transmission cross brace/mount thingy - is the same between auto and manual. You can re-use your old one. I had a "swap kit" so I had another one, I actually couldn't get the one on my auto trans off. lol

Turbo Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old January 30th, 2015, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSix View Post
This is a pretty decent list. I've done it before. For a 99-04 car, I'd reccommend trying to find a 99-04 trans, as the 94-98 ones didn't have the electronic speedo pickup, so I'm not sure what you would do about the speedo. They had a gear driven one.

Otherwise his list is pretty complete, You need
-trans itself
- bell housing and bolts ( I think you can reuse the auto bolts)
-flywheel for a manual
-flywheel bolts (flexplate bolts are shorter and won't work)
-clutch kit
-clutch fork
- different driveshaft (I just swapped the yoke... the yoke on the transmission side is different between auto/manual - rear end size is the same)
-Shifter (get an aftermarket short throw IMO)
- clutch cable, clutch quadrant - I'd recommend going aftermarket and getting a firewall adjuster/clutch quadrant from UPR/MM/ the likes. Get an OE ford cable though.
- shifter bezel/lower shifter boot
- pilot bearing and throwout bearing - get ford OEM - the aftermarket throw out bearings suck
- pedal assembly (you already have this you said).
- you have to cut out the sheet metal where the shifter goes a slight bit

- You can make due with the automatic wiring harness, you just have to jump two wires together in it to override the neutral safety switch - the car won't start if you don't do this using the auto trans harness - I don't remember the wires off the top of my head. Just be careful as the car will start without a clutch, and your cruise control may or may not work.

You will also have to find the wires for the reverse lights and splice the reverse light connector for a t5 on (you can buy them cheap from LMR and the like I believe).
I eventually changed over to the manual harness, as it cleans up underneath the car (the auto will have some random connectors you don't use anymore) and the rear o2 sensor plugs are positioned differently. It took me a long time to find a harness though.

That should be about it... as far as the computer - you have two options -
1. Switch over to a manual ECU - Plug and play, just find one from 99-00 or 01-04, as the 99-00 ECU probably can't control the IMRC butterflys if you have a 01-04. Not 100% on that. You will have to take the car to ford to mes with the PATS system to swap ECU's.

2. Get a tuner. With the SCT software you (well, a tuner with the pro software) can turn off all the automatic stuff in a tune, and the car will function fine. I am still to this day running the original automatic ECU.

With a manual, you will lose some weight off the car (the auto is HEAVY) and be able to bang gears yourself. I don't regret the swap at all.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Also, I forgot - the transmission cross brace/mount thingy - is the same between auto and manual. You can re-use your old one. I had a "swap kit" so I had another one, I actually couldn't get the one on my auto trans off. lol

thanks both you guys Slo, and Pearl. this is definetly what i was lookin for. this will help out alot!!! i cant wait to "be able to bang gears" myself!!! Plus its jus better to drive a car than to ride and steer one!!! I'd ride a horse if thats what i wanted!!! lol
post #5 of 7 Old December 6th, 2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Okay!!! finally collected all the parts needed and me and a friend just completed the swap, unfortunately after adjusting the clutch and going for a quick ride, the engine seems to be vibrating like crazy... just a guess but the flywheel i ordered wasn't the correct one, after a little research i read that the early 99-00 v6's used different flywheels, one weighted and one not, i believe i got the neutral balanced one and i might need the balanced or weighted one, anyone have this problem, another thought i had was maybe the flywheel wasn't in the correct position!!!??? any ideas!!!??? thanks again and boy did it feel good to shift, but the vibration is way too much to keep driving!!!
post #6 of 7 Old December 12th, 2017, 09:45 PM
MOAR BOOST

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineR32420 View Post
Okay!!! finally collected all the parts needed and me and a friend just completed the swap, unfortunately after adjusting the clutch and going for a quick ride, the engine seems to be vibrating like crazy... just a guess but the flywheel i ordered wasn't the correct one, after a little research i read that the early 99-00 v6's used different flywheels, one weighted and one not, i believe i got the neutral balanced one and i might need the balanced or weighted one, anyone have this problem, another thought i had was maybe the flywheel wasn't in the correct position!!!??? any ideas!!!??? thanks again and boy did it feel good to shift, but the vibration is way too much to keep driving!!!
90% likely it is the wrong flywheel.
Did your flywheel have any weights on it ?
You can also tell by the harmonic balancer, but yes 99-00 were externally balanced and need a weighted flywheel. 01-04 is neutral balance and needs a 0 balance flywheel.

Turbo Build Thread
post #7 of 7 Old December 17th, 2017, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSix View Post
90% likely it is the wrong flywheel.
Did your flywheel have any weights on it ?
You can also tell by the harmonic balancer, but yes 99-00 were externally balanced and need a weighted flywheel. 01-04 is neutral balance and needs a 0 balance flywheel.
well, the flywheel/flexplate i took off did have a weight welded on it, this is what made me think this was my problem, ill be searching the local picknpull to find one i can use. hopefully this will be the problem and i can get to driving again soon!!!! thanks SlowSix,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page