Procharger Cone filter CAI question - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old May 18th, 2015, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Procharger Cone filter CAI question

So I have a procharged v6 like in the pic below (that one isn't mine)

Wondering if there is a heat shield sold that will fit? I figure in its current setup it isn't reallllly cold air? The intake temps are usually just 10 degrees or so above ambient (F not C), but I haven't checked under prolonged stressful operation.

Perhaps something like this would be nice?

Also what I have now is the oiled K&N cone filter... I understand the dry filters by amsoil and airaid will flow less? Does that mean less torque and HP? I just worry everytime I oil the filter some will get sucked in and screw up the supercharger.

Also unsure how to go about getting a air raid prefilter for a non-air raid filter..

Just want to know if I can further optimize things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 18th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast

My opinion is that unless the intake is going into the fender than its not a CAI system. I also think the shield is probably doing minimal work. Maybe a few degrees difference. Nothing more than that. Wouldn't know where to get ones though.

And K&N filters flow so well because they don't filter much. I mean I never see a dirty K&N filter unless its an off-road vehicle. No why? Because they don't filter anything. I think that pretty much anything does better than a K&N. BBK, Airraid, heck even Spectra.
post #3 of 9 Old May 18th, 2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iasis View Post
My opinion is that unless the intake is going into the fender than its not a CAI system. I also think the shield is probably doing minimal work. Maybe a few degrees difference. Nothing more than that. Wouldn't know where to get ones though.

And K&N filters flow so well because they don't filter much. I mean I never see a dirty K&N filter unless its an off-road vehicle. No why? Because they don't filter anything. I think that pretty much anything does better than a K&N. BBK, Airraid, heck even Spectra.
I may just go ahead and call up air raid and ask about what comparable filter size they have, and get their pre filter mesh too.

One thing I forgot to mention is part of my concern is I was considering getting these & water entering the engine bay and getting sucked in:

MMD Mustang Hood Vent Louvers - Matte Black 71334 (05-12 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

MMD Mustang Fender Vents - Matte Black 384822-99 (10-14 All) - Free Shipping
(may not do this since it interferes with the club on america decal, and most cooling would be from the hood top).

I don't know how much a shop would charge to do a good install since cutting is involved...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old May 18th, 2015, 03:28 PM

props to u on the pro charger
post #5 of 9 Old May 18th, 2015, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by girtsguy View Post
props to u on the pro charger
thank you sir, when I rolled up to the dealer for some routine stuff, he was like wait a minute.. somethings different here.
post #6 of 9 Old May 18th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Enthusiast

Do you not have an intercooler?

_

04 F250SD 4x4 6.0 PSD ---02 3.8L V6 Pony Procharger in progress ---90 BMW 535i

SMR #530-----Fobra Club Member #2-----Silver Sixxer Club Member #1
post #7 of 9 Old May 19th, 2015, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG47 View Post
Do you not have an intercooler?

_
Oh it does, it runs very cool (though the coolant reservoir sometimes pukes a lil fluid.. I am going to try higher PSI cap because the car never overheats).

My main concern is just oil from reoiling, and water if I decide to get heat extractors put in. The fans on the radiator are fairly loud, and it takes away from the SC and exhaust note. So I'm thinking if I get heat extractors, it will help minimize the times those fans need to kick in.
post #8 of 9 Old May 20th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra_Commander View Post
I may just go ahead and call up air raid and ask about what comparable filter size they have, and get their pre filter mesh too.

One thing I forgot to mention is part of my concern is I was considering getting these & water entering the engine bay and getting sucked in:

I don't know how much a shop would charge to do a good install since cutting is involved...
Well I was going to suggest a pre-filter if you want to keep the K&N filter. Outerwears makes a good pre-filter as well and ofcourse they block a degree of water from getting to the filter.
post #9 of 9 Old May 24th, 2015, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iasis View Post
Well I was going to suggest a pre-filter if you want to keep the K&N filter. Outerwears makes a good pre-filter as well and ofcourse they block a degree of water from getting to the filter.
I just ordered a K&N prefilter, did not know they made one but apparently they now do.

Also ordered a heat shield, I hope it fits, I'll know Tuesday or Wednesday for sure.

Shop said the under hood temps seem OK but I drove all highway on the way to the shop, thats best case scenario, lots of city, traffic, idling, or the heat soaking after turning off the car it gets reallllll damn hot. Even plastic things are so hot under the car you wouldn't want to touch them at times. Engine never overheats but I figure all this extra heat cannot be good for the longevity of anything under the hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page